G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New G35 Owner....not too happy...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
take into account that a lot of these aftermarket clutch and flywheel systems don't use a dual flywheel its a single one, its going to be more heavy duty and wont wear as fast but the OEM was designed to be very quiet and very smooth in shifting, and also, i know that "chattering" is a bit of an issue with aftermarket. There is a lot of options you need to address. If your not going to drive your car hard i would recommend going stock, i just had to replace mine and i put a stock clutch into it...it actually drives a lot different from when i first got the car, the clutch is much easier and shifts are much smoother....just my .02

Old 10-31-2009, 04:47 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyjman
that's what i was thinking,,, so i bit the bullet and got the JWT and lightweight flywheel package... labor seems decent price...i can't wait to actually enjoy my G now

I can understand you saying that, but there have been plenty of individuals that have had early replacements of clutches in the G, and so its clearly not just a driver thing...you just got lucky. Anywho, it's not how i drive, it's how the other three owners of the car drove it... I just picked it up 2k miles ago...

So now... any info on proper wearing in of a new clutch?
Never heard of the clutch in this car going out in less than 45K UNLESS it was abused or used improperly. I read here how one guy used to slip the clutch while waiting for a stop light on a HILL! Some people ride it, some slip it too hard and MANY, MANY here just launch too hard too often.

Not saying at ALL that you did this. I saw where you just bought it.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:00 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nova15566
lol I am pretty sure I know how to drive... I beat the **** out of that car... my dd at the time had 200k on the stock clutch (e30 turbo).

Oh my sti also had 550whp and I was using it to rallyx/go to drift events and awdrift and practice every day... My friend had a piece of land with about 2 miles of trails(groomed dirft) that we practiced rally on.

remember awd is harder on drivetrain parts since there is no slip.

I am a very good driver my friends...

my point was that 43k on a stock clutch on a car that has prob been beat on is good. A new clutch is a pretty minor thing to replace...

If that car has ever been drag raced, autox'd, anything like that a clutch is gonna be a given.
Cool Story Bro.

Old 11-04-2009, 02:16 AM
G stock clutches feel too soft. I loved the clutch on my VR4 that I sold years back. But if you aren't going to drive it hard, stock clutches will suit you the best.

Old 11-06-2009, 01:03 AM
okay guys... just a quick update.... Got the JWT and lightweight flywheel in....absolutely love it. This thing drives nice, the pedal action is great, although a little stiff, but that's reassuring because the stock clutch felt so wimpy....anywho...anyone looking to get the JWT kit...go for it, it's great

Old 11-06-2009, 03:27 AM
Originally Posted by Iamnotkento
Sorry to say this but, LEARN HOW TO DRIVE>
I agree... Either you need to learn how to stop burning clutch. 43k on a clutch are signs of ABUSE

Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't exedy have and oem replacement clutch for the g35? I bought my g cpe this past august with 83k miles. Its a 6MT and the clutch is still good. Don't know if its already been replaced or not. It does however make a loud noise sometimes when I shift into fifth gear tho.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:11 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wow, my clutch has close to 170000 k on it and it still works fine. I guess I just don't abuse it enough!

Old 11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wannascooby
I agree... Either you need to learn how to stop burning clutch. 43k on a clutch are signs of ABUSE
As I said... That was a car that got tracked and beat on. My statement was that 45k is a good time to replace a clutch in a sports car...

It only takes an afternoon and is a simple project.
Lol burning the clutch is not what killed it. As stated that car was modded tracked and abused, hell I dont think I burned the clutch once in it. Again I am skilled driver it wasn't always on the street.

Again my point is that he doesnt know who had the car and if it was tracked before... Therefore when you buy a used car and the clutch is no good after you already drove it and liked it... Thats your problem. These are issues that come with buying a used car.

Like I said I have other cars that have had 100-200k on stock clutches. Those where only street driven. Once the car is ACTUALLY TRACKED (see time attack/drift/dragraced/autox) dont expect the clutch to last def not a stock one.

Nismo would be a good choice as it isnt going to be too expensive. Under $500 and install is going to be $350 or so

Old 11-10-2009, 08:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercinator
Cool Story Bro.
Thanks Hun!