G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

New G35 Owner....not too happy...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New G35 Owner....not too happy...

So, i just picked up an 05 Cp 6mt IP from someone a few months ago, and put on maybe 2k miles on it, for a total of about 43000 miles, and now I am looking at having to put in a new clutch. Argghh.

I have the axle clicking thing that i need to take care of, and I think the fronts are starting to show signs of feathering.

Despite all that, I love the car...the looks and body lines are SOOOO SEXY. And driving the car (when the clutch is nice) is a blast to drive. So, I gotta take care of these few things, but whats a couple thousand dollars anyway???

Anywho, for those that have replaced the clutch, I am not into tuning that much, and as of right now I have nothing done to the car. Maybe in the future I might do an intake and z-tube, but thats it. So I need a good replacement, but something that is easier to finesse. The stock drive train makes it soo hard to shift smooth unless I am granny shifting, or hard driving, but there is nothing there when doing normal moderate driving.

So, what clutch kit is recommended? From what I have seen, throwing in a lightweight flywheel isn't a bad idea either....so any suggestions?

Also, what can I expect to pay in labor hours at a shop?

Thanks all for your help, and I welcome any and all suggestions.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
lol its used and hell 43k out of a clutch is good in a sports car... I replaced the one in my sti at 6500 and at 13k and then at 25k lol.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by nova15566
lol its used and hell 43k out of a clutch is good in a sports car... I replaced the one in my sti at 6500 and at 13k and then at 25k lol.
I suggest you get automatic next time.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:04 PM
hymnn, knock on wood 55k here and the clutch is still in good condition the springs were slightly worn (according to the dealer, they inspected it while replacing the engine) it just all depends how you drive it. check maybe you got oil consumption issue than replacing the clutch will cost you around 450$ thats what i was quoted

Old 10-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Originally Posted by nova15566
Sorry to say this but, LEARN HOW TO DRIVE>

Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Iamnotkento
Bwah-hah! I was just going to say the same thing. I have owned quite a few sporty cars in my life, driving like I am angry at them, and NEVER had to change the Clutch before 60k. These guys are either Boi-Racers who abuse their stuff, in which case the components should have been pro-actively upgraded; or they simply suxxor at the heel-toe technique, and should get A/Ts. That is why I got an A/T, my wife is Clutch retarded!

Old 10-30-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iamnotkento
lol I am pretty sure I know how to drive... I beat the **** out of that car... my dd at the time had 200k on the stock clutch (e30 turbo).

Oh my sti also had 550whp and I was using it to rallyx/go to drift events and awdrift and practice every day... My friend had a piece of land with about 2 miles of trails(groomed dirft) that we practiced rally on.

remember awd is harder on drivetrain parts since there is no slip.

I am a very good driver my friends...

my point was that 43k on a stock clutch on a car that has prob been beat on is good. A new clutch is a pretty minor thing to replace...

If that car has ever been drag raced, autox'd, anything like that a clutch is gonna be a given.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 AM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mattyjman
So, i just picked up an 05 Cp 6mt IP from someone a few months ago, and put on maybe 2k miles on it, for a total of about 43000 miles, and now I am looking at having to put in a new clutch. Argghh.

I have the axle clicking thing that i need to take care of, and I think the fronts are starting to show signs of feathering.

Despite all that, I love the car...the looks and body lines are SOOOO SEXY. And driving the car (when the clutch is nice) is a blast to drive. So, I gotta take care of these few things, but whats a couple thousand dollars anyway???

Anywho, for those that have replaced the clutch, I am not into tuning that much, and as of right now I have nothing done to the car. Maybe in the future I might do an intake and z-tube, but thats it. So I need a good replacement, but something that is easier to finesse. The stock drive train makes it soo hard to shift smooth unless I am granny shifting, or hard driving, but there is nothing there when doing normal moderate driving.

So, what clutch kit is recommended? From what I have seen, throwing in a lightweight flywheel isn't a bad idea either....so any suggestions?

Also, what can I expect to pay in labor hours at a shop?

Thanks all for your help, and I welcome any and all suggestions.
what gears do you grind in? Its just might be your tranny not your clutch. My tranny grinned in 5th gear, took it to the dealer and got a new tranny at 52k miles. My clutch is still strong, now at 71k

Old 10-30-2009, 11:41 AM
appreciate the thread jack there, I suppose that if you replace a clutch 3 times in 20k miles, then yeah, it's a little ridiculous. But no one answered my question about a good clutch replacement? Any suggestions?

Old 10-30-2009, 12:19 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a used OEM clutch out of an '05 coupe for sale - less then 2,000 miles on it. PM if you are interested.

I have a JWT clutch and OEM flywheel in my car and I like it. I'm putting quite a bit of power down and have had no problems with the clutch. Granted, I only have 20K mile on my '04, but still no problems none the less!

Old 10-31-2009, 11:44 AM
http://www.conceptzperformance.com/C...4798.202.48.97

This is what I am looking at, any thoughts on this with just a stock engine?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:31 PM
okay, so just got back from aamco, and quoted me 954 + tax, for OEM replacement clutch, resurfacing the flywheel, and other misc install items. The clutch was priced at 447 and the rest is labor.... so is it worth it to upgrade to the JWT, or is OEM replacement fine?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:43 PM
Received 149 Likes on 113 Posts
I would pay the extra cash for a quality clutch for some peace of mind.

What type of clutch are they putting in? Brand?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:51 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
I have almost 90K on my stock clutch. No problems, it's how you drive it.

Factory clutch done by the dealer will cost you right at $2K. You can get a shop to do it and install a great after market clutch, flywheel and pressure plate like Jim Wolf Tech, Exety, ACT and you will be much happier.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:24 PM
would pay the extra cash for a quality clutch for some peace of mind.
that's what i was thinking,,, so i bit the bullet and got the JWT and lightweight flywheel package... labor seems decent price...i can't wait to actually enjoy my G now

I have almost 90K on my stock clutch. No problems, it's how you drive it.
I can understand you saying that, but there have been plenty of individuals that have had early replacements of clutches in the G, and so its clearly not just a driver thing...you just got lucky. Anywho, it's not how i drive, it's how the other three owners of the car drove it... I just picked it up 2k miles ago...

So now... any info on proper wearing in of a new clutch?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New G35 Owner....not too happy...