G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

CHRISTMAS IN APRIL!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2003, 11:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CHRISTMAS IN APRIL!!!!

I feel like a 10 year old on Christmas morning!!! I got my coupe today!! YAHOO!!!!!!!. Ok, so here's my story. Like a lot of you I first saw the G Sedan last year in late winter/early spring. I immediately went out and bought a fully loaded (including Nav) black on black sedan. For the next few months I had a permanent smile on my face as women, children, old, young, and everyone in between would look and point as I drove by. I was king of the world. That is until I saw the coupe. Now I know this may ruffle some feathers but in my opinion the coupe is plain and simple a better looking car. It's sexy and it's got more power. So when I saw my first Coupe, I went from King to court jester just like that. Again, I'm not bashing the sedan. The sedan is awesome, but for those who don't have children, do not cart a bunch of friends around, and do not need a lot of headroom, there really is no question that the coupe is a better car. Again, this is just opinion so don't bash me. So for the past 6 months or so I've been trying to figure out how to break my lease without getting screwed in the process. My local Infiniti dealership is fair but even the fairest dealership can't help you when you lease a car for 4 years and then want to trade it in after 10 months. Anyway, long story short, I bit the bullet, and swallowed the extra cost and "upgraded" to the coupe. I've only had it for a few hours but during the ride home from the dealership I noticed a few things that I wanted to share, since I'm guessing that there are probably other sedan owners who drool when they see the coupe and are thinking of upgrading. Please feel free to give feedback. I would guess other than test drives there aren't many people who have had a lot of experience with both models. Ok,first thing is the coupes engine is way louder. Not obnoxiously loud, but defenitely louder than the sedan. The side view mirrors seem SO much smaller than the sedan. Oh, I guess I should point out that both my sedan and coupe were auto trans. Anyway, the coupe doesn't have a outside latch to open the trunk. It can only be done with the keys or from inside the car. The coupes seats are what I call "recaro" type cuz they wrap around you more than the sedans. Not good or bad, just different. The coupes arm rest isn't as thick and cushy as the coupe. Again, not a big deal but I noticed it right away. Ok, now heres the big thing. I didn't really notice the extra horsepower AND my sedan definitely accelerated a lot smoother than my coupe. When I say smoother, I mean when the engine shifts through the gears it seemed to do so with a lot less effort than in the coupe. I remember being on the way to the dealership tonight and thining to myself how smooth my sedan was and how I hope the coupe is the same only faster. But so far it's not. Now let me say this, I have had my coupe for only a few hours AND it has less than 35 miles on it so it's not even broken in yet. But these are my first impressions. Oh yeah, the sunroof is a LOT smaller. I know the coupe is a smaller car but in my sedan I could open the sunroof and I'd feel the wind on my head (no hair cuz I shave it) but the coupes sunroof is either set farther back or my seat position is farther up cuz I didn't feel the air on my head. Oh yeah, and when I swapped cars tonight I had to transfer a bunch of stuff from my sedan to the coupe and I had my golf clubs in the sedans trunk. I didn't realize how small the trunk of the coupe was going to be. There is a diagram on how to get two sets of clubs in the coupe trunk on the inside of the trunk lid, but I don't want to be the guy who tries it since I had a hard enough time squeezing my single set in. Let me think, anything else.........Oh yeah. At first glance I thought the cup holders in the coupe were a LOT smaller than the sedan. I thought they might hold a can of soda but never one of those big gulps you get from convenience stores, but the little middle section actually folds down to accomodate bigger drinks. Very cool. It may not seem like a big deal to you coupe owners who know what I'm talking about but in the sedan the middle section does not fold down. Also, and this might not be true for all sedans (mine was a 2003 and the 2003.5 might be different) but my windows did not "seal" like in my coupe. I hope everyone knows what I mean. For those that may have a earlier model sedan like I did, the windows drop about a inch or two automatically when you open the door of the coupe and close back up tight when you close it. I'm assuming this is to lessen road noise. Ok, that's it for now. When I head to work in the morning, I'm sure I'll notice more stuff, but I'm tired of typing. If anyone knows more differences please let me know. Tomorrow I will be King of the road again. I'm gonna post this on both coupe and sedan forums so both owners can give me feedback. later guys. oh yeah, one last thing. My dealer only had one black/black coupe that had navi, he knew I wanted the car but even though it had navi, it didn't have the package with the spoiler and it didn't have the 18" wheels. So I originally said thanks, but no thanks. Then they gave me the sweetest deal. I ended up trading my sedan, gave them $1569, and in turn they gave me the coupe and said I could either have them order the 18" wheels and a spoiler, or I could have them get me a spoiler and they would give me a check for $3000 so I could go get any aftermarket wheels I want. I took the money!! The 18's are nice but I plan on getting some sweet a$$ Giovanna Corsicas. 19's in back, and 18's in front. I'm so freaking happy!! And for those interested, my payments are $8 more a month and my sedan had 8,900 miles on it. Also, my sedan lease had 12,000 miles per year while with my coupe I'll get 15,000. ok, my fingers hurt from typing. Congrats to all you G owners (coupe and sedan). If you see a black blur drive by, it's probably me in my shiny new black rocket!!!

Old 04-03-2003, 11:40 PM
Re: CHRISTMAS IN APRIL!!!!

Good post, but let me get this straight. You ordered a coupe with the tire and wheel package, but you actually got the 17" wheels?

if so, you got shafted out of more than tires. You didn't get the LSD. No way I would have taken that deal.

Old 04-03-2003, 11:49 PM

that's the longest post I have ever seen in G35driver.com... =p great stuff.. so are you planning to get another coupe if they bring out the GT-R?

2003 G35 Coupe 6spd

Old 04-04-2003, 12:28 AM
G SQUAD
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Christmas sounds about right, try christmas eve for 4 months straight!! Tourture!! Congrats On the new Coupe Definatly Post some pics with the 2 different size rims front and back would love to see how it looks.

Old 04-04-2003, 01:08 AM

Sorry, should have mentioned this before......I didn't order the coupe. It kind of fell in my lap. I didn't want to wait the 3 months for one to come in, so I neer ordered one. My dealer kept calling me with different ones but either the color or options weren't right. I wasn't gonna upgrade unless I got exactly what I wanted since I wasn't dissapointed in my sedan. I just like the coupe better. Anyway, the dealer had ordered my coupe for another buyer who backed out. It had nav which has been the hardest thing for my dealer to get. Plus it was black/black which was what I wanted. So, I just got the two other things I wanted most which was the spoiler and 18 inch wheels (ended up taking the cash which is a better deal for me). Going in, I wasn't looking for the best "deal" neccesarily. Trading a leased sedan after only 10 months I expected to lose a little. To me the important thing is I got what I wanted which was more important then saving a few bucks. I couldn't be happier!

Old 04-04-2003, 10:05 AM

I think the windows thing is to prevent the air pressure inside the car (when closing the door) from getting too high and shattering your windows. I think...

Old 04-04-2003, 10:11 AM

Can I get the cliff notes on this post? Jeez....

G35 Coupe/6MT/Black/Graphite/Aero

Old 04-04-2003, 10:33 AM

A thousand apologies for the length of the post. I was a bit excited last night when I got my coupe. Sorry again.

Old 04-04-2003, 10:52 AM

There's a shortage of 18" wheels right now, so not many auto's are showing up at the dealers with the wheel and tire package.