G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

running g35 coupe slightly "wrecked" for $3500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow that crash made me rethink some, this one is worse lol. thanks for the advice, i might just stick with a complete running one and wait till summer, and be able to get a nicer one.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:55 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
which auto auction you planning to get it from?

Old 12-07-2009, 05:44 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by caketech
Btw here's a pic of an accident that happened about 3 weeks ago, someone made a u turn in front of me

from what i saw of the damage when the bumper was off they'll be replacing

Hood $500
Grille $200
Bumper $450
Energy Absorber $50
Bumper Reinforcement Beam $300
Rad Support $450
Both Air Bags/maybe the dash because of the air bags going off i'm not sure about this one
Air Bag Sensors

that's a total of $2000 before labour AND both air bags, i couldn't get a price on air bags, i will say these are with estimated prices, in our over priced Canadian parts, but i mean judging by the pic, it's not a lot of damage.

i'm guessing all said and done it'll cost close to $7000.

not saying you shoudln't get the car, i mean i am saying that, but just be wary and think clearly, we were all young and in a hurry to get a car. at least i was, and i made quite a few mistakes.

Just to update. Had a chat with the body shop the cost is in excess of $11,000. Half of which were the air bags. So my $6000-$7000. Estimate wasn't too far off

Glad you've decided to wait

Old 12-07-2009, 05:52 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by caketech
Just to update. Had a chat with the body shop the cost is in excess of $11,000. Half of which were the air bags. So my $6000-$7000. Estimate wasn't too far off

Glad you've decided to wait
that is a **** load of $

I'm sure that the shop is milking your ins company quite allot.

Old 12-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER
I'm sure that the shop is milking your ins company quite allot.
I've had my fair share of accidents and fender benders with my Camry. It's been my experience in the past that body shops are less likely to work with you if you're going to pay "out of pocket." When I had my Altima (lowered on Tein SS coils) my front bumper lips was banged up pretty bad. This was around tax refund time, so I had some extra cash and wanted to take car of my ride, so I went to a bodyshop (Body Works in Fountain Valley, CA). I went in and the receptionist asked me to fill out a form while I waited for an associate. A guy came out and the first thing he asked was how the work going to be paid for ok... I said I was going to pay out of pocket. No accident, no insurance, just some refinish work. He sounded annoyed when he said "alright, let me see it." I took him out to the car and he looked at it for a slip second and said, "with it lowered like that, it's just going to get messed up again. Why bother?" I said I wanted to fix it up and asked for a quote. He thought for a sec and said "$1200." I gave him my best WTF look. I said thanks and I'll think about it. As he walked back to the office, he crumpled the form I filled out earlier. I'm never going back there again (I really can't, I live on the East coast now). I eventually got the bumper replaced at another body shop for $600.

Sorry for the somewhat threadjack/off topic. Just thought I'd share.

Again, good luck to the OP on your search for your new ride.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by money042
I've had my fair share of accidents and fender benders with my Camry. It's been my experience in the past that body shops are less likely to work with you if you're going to pay "out of pocket." When I had my Altima (lowered on Tein SS coils) my front bumper lips was banged up pretty bad. This was around tax refund time, so I had some extra cash and wanted to take car of my ride, so I went to a bodyshop (Body Works in Fountain Valley, CA). I went in and the receptionist asked me to fill out a form while I waited for an associate. A guy came out and the first thing he asked was how the work going to be paid for ok... I said I was going to pay out of pocket. No accident, no insurance, just some refinish work. He sounded annoyed when he said "alright, let me see it." I took him out to the car and he looked at it for a slip second and said, "with it lowered like that, it's just going to get messed up again. Why bother?" I said I wanted to fix it up and asked for a quote. He thought for a sec and said "$1200." I gave him my best WTF look. I said thanks and I'll think about it. As he walked back to the office, he crumpled the form I filled out earlier. I'm never going back there again (I really can't, I live on the East coast now). I eventually got the bumper replaced at another body shop for $600.

Sorry for the somewhat threadjack/off topic. Just thought I'd share.

Again, good luck to the OP on your search for your new ride.
what a ****ing jerk off

i'd ****ing complain. what a **** head.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:16 PM
op - on 2nd thought - since everybody else has some kind of issues with salvage cars and all then i guess for a permanent or longterm car then this is not the route - since i have little experience with doing this myself but i recall buying a toyota rebuilt with my cousin once and he had really no problem with it till around 100k miles and then the oil pain broke and the engine overheated - the end,

i was thinking in terms of short term or track car then this route is very good for $6k??? for a lux ride then it's a steal - but that's only short term cause in the long run who knows what the hell in god's carnation could arise from a salvage - a million things could arise really who knows...

Old 12-08-2009, 03:32 AM
^ short term, i'd get a rebuilt car, as long as it wasn't frame damage or like mold hahaha

i'd love a rebuilt s2k for the summer, it'd be a blast, and cheap too.

Old 12-08-2009, 03:46 AM
FOr $3000 expect to receive a G with frame damage. I would suggest not to get if they have blown airbags. I got rsx from dealer auction and the airbags were pain in the ***. You need to get airbags, computer module, seatbelt tensioners, seat sensors, etc. It cost me alot to get all that.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:16 PM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Just to echo what Caketech said, and since I'd already mentioned my own accident issue... The pic below was worth just a hair over $4200 when all was said and done. I know I mentioned the price in the first post but here's the pic. Doesn't look like much is wrong, but the parts list was pretty extensive.

Could have saved some cash if I'd done the repairs myself (minus paint) but it was a no-fault, no cash out of pocket, claim on my part and ended up being a bit more expensive than the initial claim once they took it apart. The picture makes it look worse than it really did in person so I'd definitely be careful.

An option for your planning process also might be to download the factory service manuals, get names/part numbers together and start pricing out scenarios (i.e. if the front end is mangled, or car was rear ended, what parts need to be replaced and how much would that run, how much can you do yourself and what kind of extra labor/body work costs would you run into, etc.). You can factor in some aftermarket parts being cheaper than factory (front bumper cover for instance) but you can't avoid (or really shouldn't, lol) replacing all of the underneath support/structural pieces.

Old 12-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally Posted by JOKER
which auto auction you planning to get it from?
idk some guy on craigslist

i also look at this site often
1,200 for a clear title g35 sedan? it has 2 days left, itll probably go up to 3k, i have seen much of these auctions.
http://ridesafely.com/inventory.asp?...D%26yearmax%3D

Old 12-08-2009, 08:35 PM
There's a turbo 5AT for sale up in chicago with under 60k miles for under 12k. Not sure on the mechanical condition of the car, but the price is sure hard to beat. Buy a plane ticket up, drive it home and you're all set...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/1500641225.html

Old 12-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally Posted by bjquinnIUmed
There's a turbo 5AT for sale up in chicago with under 60k miles for under 12k. Not sure on the mechanical condition of the car, but the price is sure hard to beat. Buy a plane ticket up, drive it home and you're all set...

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ctd/1500641225.html
l0l its a scam, it was posted in miami also i looked at other craigslists for other places and it was there, you can tell by the 3 pics and then 1 of them being the contact, if this was true i would be there in a heart beat.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:53 PM
http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/1500814724.html

i was looking at a similar one like the one posted above at a infiniti dealer close to me, fully loaded, navi etc, it was identical to the one ^, it was priced at 15k and 62k miles, less than the private sale link, but it was 5AT, but the catch was that it had warranty, so it was a good deal. only thing that didnt really attract me was 62k miles

Old 12-10-2009, 12:32 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
oh wtf man ur getting a sweeter deal than me .....almost i got my sedan 4 5gs TOTAL in may took 6 months to finally nail it but i did it was hit in the back.
1) dont change things that can be fixed "panels" if you know how prep the body for paint thats all you need my bro did all the body work himself and i got macco to do the pain on the panel "WHILE I WAS THERE WATCH" they are lazy bums but cheap! made him do it over 3-4 times! and almost 4got to get clear!
The bumper beam is still good if it aint bent!!!! also the energy absorbers can be popped out once again if not bent! my jobs not complete but is almost unnoticable if you dont buy it i will simple and short!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: running g35 coupe slightly "wrecked" for $3500?