G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35+Snow=Bad?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2009, 03:39 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
G35 a G35X. Get to have G looks with AWD. For 20k you can get like an 06 with low miles and nav.

Otherwise, drive something else when you go to Tahoe...

Old 12-25-2009, 09:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah ill have to look at it and both of the cars, they both look super nice.

Old 12-25-2009, 11:44 PM
Blizzard yesterday. Went to car. Drove maybe 200 ft. Got stuck. Turned off VDC. Didn't work. Turned off car. Left it in middle of the parking lot. Walked back to room. Epic fail.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Aquarius
Blizzard yesterday. Went to car. Drove maybe 200 ft. Got stuck. Turned off VDC. Didn't work. Turned off car. Left it in middle of the parking lot. Walked back to room. Epic fail.

Lol

Old 12-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Hey so I live in norcal we don't ever have snow here. I wanted to go snowboarding in a week or 2 how would it handle going up the mountain? Never drove in snow.

Old 12-26-2009, 04:56 AM
Originally Posted by Aquarius

ah man that sucks, It's times like this that I don't miss being from NJ...Now I live in socal, so the only think I may have to worry about is the occasional sporadic rainfall and the aftermath of the locals driving on it... days like that its probably prudent to stay off the two wheeler :P

Old 12-26-2009, 06:59 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by code2424
Hey so I live in norcal we don't ever have snow here. I wanted to go snowboarding in a week or 2 how would it handle going up the mountain? Never drove in snow.
probably not very good unless you have an x with snow tires or something.. borrow someone else's car

Old 12-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just had a blizzard here in Chicago last night.
woke up to about 4inches of snow on the ground (unplowed) at 4am. Made it to work in my coupe with my winter setup with no issues.
Left work at 2pm with about a foot of snow on the ground (somewhat plowed) and again got home without any issues.

It can be done, just need the right set of tires.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
+1 on the tires...its the most overlooked part of preformance people neglect to learn anything about. I run my OEM 19s with winter preformance tires in the winter here in ohio, and I get better traction than 4x4s with all seasons or all terrian tires do.

but if you are unexperienced with snow and rwd, look into a G35X maybe an FX35.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just check the weather reports. You don't want to attempt tahoe if they got dumped on the night before. if it has been a couple days since they got snow the roads will be clear. They are very good about clearing the roads. the resorts and all their employees depend on people being able to get there.

Personally i take bay area ski bus. $100 gets round trip on the bus that picks up 5 minutes from me and an all day lift ticket. Can't beat that deal. Car stays clean and some chump gets to drive me.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:13 PM
do you ski alone?

it will be tight with all the equipment and don't bet on bringing anyone else with you. That being the case you could just use someone else's vehicle.

It doesn't seem feesable to get winter tires for just a few trips and you definitely do'nt want to drive in snow with summers.

Also, on another note, g35 and 350z are a pretty expensive car. You have to look beyond the initial purchase. Tires, alignment, upkeep just seems more than any other car i've owned. Think about how much income you will have year round. Insurance is also going to be higher than other cars.

also, you might want to rethink the "i like to drive fast". You drive fast with a noticable car and you'll get nailed. Say bye bye to your money.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by binder
Also, on another note, g35 and 350z are a pretty expensive car. You have to look beyond the initial purchase. Tires, alignment, upkeep just seems more than any other car i've owned. Think about how much income you will have year round. Insurance is also going to be higher than other cars.

also, you might want to rethink the "i like to drive fast". You drive fast with a noticable car and you'll get nailed. Say bye bye to your money.
I thought G35 had pretty low maintenance? The insurance would be crazy for a few years but then i figure when im 21 its not gonna be that bad. Only like 2k a year or something so only crazy for the first few years.

About the noticeable car, yeah i heard but i figure im pretty smart with cops in my area and their spots so i figure ill be set and i really just plan on speeding on the freeways and highways and stuff like the 1 going to Norcal where my mom lives. I figure once i get some mods and stuff my car could be pretty fast.

And guys i would only be going to tahoe like twice a year so you guys think if i had good tires (which i plan on doing) i could make it? And good point with the roads being cleared because they usually do a good job.

Thanks everyone! This is turning into a good topic actually

Old 12-27-2009, 10:07 AM
maintenance is more. 350z/g35 for some reason eat tires and also require frequent alignments to keep tires from being chewed in the first place. The basic stuff isn't too bad compared to other cars but if something breaks or goes wrong it's very expensive.

About the tahoe thing. Do you really think it's worth 500$ rims and 500$ in winter tires for those 2 trips? I wouldn't even attempt it without snow tires. Drive someone else's vehicle if you are going to get a g35. You won't want winter tires or all season tires to drive around in everyday and it would be annoying to swap rims and store rims just for 2 days of the year.

With summer tires my coupe got stuck in my driveway with less than an inch of snow. I store the car for winters here because not only did i want a 3rd set of tires (street, drag, then snow) i also don't want some idiot to slide into my car at a stop sign because of ice.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:10 AM
I might just go when it ain't snowing. Cause last year we went on my rsx when it wasn't snowing and made it there fine with no problems. Only problem we had was going up this one hill when we were leaving because there was snow and the tires would just spin so we had to back up and get some speed to roll.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:54 PM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
If you're looking for a do-it-all practical car, don't get a G35 Coupe. It has little storage space and minimal passenger space in the back seat, is bad in snow(plus low ground clearance), fuel economy could be better, and eats tires pretty quick due to aggressive factory camber settings.

That being said, most of those things probably not going to be a problem for you since you live in Cali and are apparently young(since your dad is going to buy you the car). If you really need to go skiing, leave the G home and let your parents use it while you borrow their (hopefully FWD or AWD) car to navigate up the snowy mountain.

4-Runners are great vehicles though if you can get over the need for speed. They aren't slow, but they shouldn't be used for racing. They're reliable, practical, and have tons of space as well as 4WD for snow or offroading.... plus you can use them for towing trailers with dirtbikes/quads/boats on them.

If I could only have one vehicle and I lived where you live, I'd get the G35... but living where I do(Massachusetts), I'd pick the 4-Runner... or it's brother the Tacoma.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35+Snow=Bad?