G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need some help have to replace my clutch again!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some help have to replace my clutch again!

Hey I have 03 g coupe and my clutch needs to be replaced, just want to know if somebody could direct me to a site or link that has the exact parts to replaced.

Last time I ordered a exedy clutch kit off ebay and it worked great but when I would go into first I would hear the rattle sound everybody complains about. This maybe because I didn't break in the clutch properly or due to something else.

I have had this will be the second time I have to replace a clutch because I let the same person drive my car. He burned to clutch in about 30 min each time. The reason I know this is because right after 6th gear started slipping and over time every other gear on downwards would slip.

Anyway just kinda want to do what's best to have the g working again with no rattle in any gear if that's possible.

Old 01-02-2010, 10:14 PM
Received 2,116 Likes on 1,768 Posts
If you replaced the "clutch pack" AND the flywheel with a lightweight one, the rattle you heard is normal. The Jim Wolf flywheel does the same thing. If you want that to stop, you will need to go back to the factory flywheel. I don't know about your clutch pack or flywheel, but the Jim Wolf Technology fly wheel has replaceable "friction elements" for the flywheel that can be replaced for about $60. The factory flywheel cannot be machined so you would need to replace it (expensive). You can get the JWT set (Pressure Plate, clutch element, throw out bearing, and flywheel for less than $800 from Importpartspro.com, one of the sponsors here.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:40 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
ive had to replace the pivot ball for the release fork on several coupes during clutch jobs....this is partly why the pedal feels so hard towards the end of the clutch's life. so i'd replace that part along with the necessary parts to do the job.

Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Texasscout
If you replaced the "clutch pack" AND the flywheel with a lightweight one, the rattle you heard is normal. The Jim Wolf flywheel does the same thing. If you want that to stop, you will need to go back to the factory flywheel. I don't know about your clutch pack or flywheel, but the Jim Wolf Technology fly wheel has replaceable "friction elements" for the flywheel that can be replaced for about $60. The factory flywheel cannot be machined so you would need to replace it (expensive). You can get the JWT set (Pressure Plate, clutch element, throw out bearing, and flywheel for less than $800 from Importpartspro.com, one of the sponsors here.
Hey thanks for the input, can you help with one last thing. How do I know if I should replace the flywheel because I still have the stock one. only 65k on the car, and what exactly causes the rattle.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:09 AM
First, it is ALWAYS a good idea to replace the flywheel or replace the friction contact plates (if possable) or machine the surface of the flywheel (if possable) when replacing the clutch. The friction surface is like a brake rotor, it needs a good flat clean surface to wear in properly. If someone "fried" your clutch, it's most likely that the pressure plate has been overheated and warped. Machining or replacing it will allow a clean break in period and you will get longer clutch life.

As for the rattle, a lighter flywheel is more responsive than a heaver one so you get a faster reving engine. When you remove weight, you can feel more of the engine vibration than with an OEM flywheel, so you get a rattle as the pistons fire one at a time.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:27 AM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I've heard by a very trusted sponsor on here and my350 that the JWT combo is called the cement mixer, it is a great combo, but a lil much for just a street car. Just my .02

Old 01-03-2010, 12:52 AM
has anybody tried this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by gcode; 01-03-2010 at 01:15 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:09 AM
Clutch Advice again......exedy clutch kit.

Ok I need to replace to clutch bad the 03 coupe and is to the point where it doesn't even move even in 1st gear (I have to rev it pretty high but I think I am just going to tow it to the shop), clutch has been slipping for a while now. Anyway I have been doing alot of searching and pretty much no matter what I do I believe chatter will come back at some point if I choose stock or aftermarket flywheel.

So to save money which I really should right now I am going to order the exedy clutch kit and F1 racing flywheel. I replaced the clutched a year ago with valeo but never the flywheel or had it resurfaced.

Just want to know if that is a decent clutch and if chatter will increase tremendously or pretty much the same of what I have been getting. I don't race or anything just want a nice smooth ride at this point.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EXEDY...Q5fAccessories

Is this a good deal or not. Anyone tried it.

Old 01-03-2010, 09:00 AM
Originally Posted by MJ-G35
I've heard by a very trusted sponsor on here and my350 that the JWT combo is called the cement mixer, it is a great combo, but a lil much for just a street car. Just my .02
You could say that. It's good for about 450hp and 400 TQ, it has a flywheel that's HALF the weight (14lbs) of the OEM flywheel. It does have an "organic" friction element, not a ceramic so that makes the take-up a lot easier and smoother than a "race clutch".

Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 AM
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by MJ-G35
Well that's a little bit of an exaggeration... It's not that bad. Nissan's from the factory have bad chatter. The flywheel from JWT is louder but not cement mixing bad. save that statement for the 6 puck.

Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I'm not saving it I already said it. I was informing OP what was told to me by the owner of a upstanding shop in the VQ community.