G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

****, this car is a heavy drinker!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 03:31 PM
Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts
I have boost with uprev and I get 3-350 a tank. thats 6lbs putting down 375whp and 363wtq.
One thing that needs to be addressed is that your computer remembers your driving style over a period of time and adapts your car to your driving skills. You bought the car used and you have no real way of knowing how the previous owner drove it.

Prior to boost, I averaged 20mpg while daily driving 60% freeway, 35% city, and 5% full throttle 140mph runs on a backroad on the way home twice a week or so. On the road to Knoxville I got 26mpg.
(I have owned the car since new)
99% of the time I shift early, skip gears going upward only, and shift below 3K as much as possible. I only get on it when I know I get on it safely on some back road or on ramps.

To show you the power of driving, I also have a 99 Silverado with the 4.8 V8 and achieve 18-20 city and as high as 26 on road trips. Thats more than anyone else I know that owns one. I drive it slower than grandpa so it always shifts before 2k and I cruise 64 in the middle or right lane with cruise control. Just like I do in my G.

It can be done but it may take a while for your computer to adapt to your driving. Possibly the faster way would be reset the cpu and start fresh with your driving habits as it learns your driving style.
Good luck!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sorry what? How would the computer remember that kind of data? Wouldn't it have just general data? i.e. push the pedal down = drink drink drink

Old 01-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
check to see if the transmission fluid, oil, clutch fluid and all other maintenances were done on time, or done at all. Some old fluids could cause poor gas mileage, although the G does not have it's good name for being economic . Just drive the heck out of it and have fun

Old 01-14-2010, 05:04 PM
For what its worth, just got my new 2004 G35 Coupe in Denver and drove it back to San Antonio (~1K miles) at an average moving speed of 68mph (calculated) thanks to little Texas towns on US84. Long stretches at 78-82 mph with short sprints up to 130mph indicated. Average fuel economy = 24.5 mpg. Baby likes to run! I have 2 days in the city sitting at 140 miles on the odometer and a half tank, so who knows what that will yield...lesson learned, driving the heck out of it is not a bad idea, and seems to yield acceptable economy!

Old 01-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Lol learn how to drive it.. and your gas will be fantastic

Old 01-14-2010, 05:31 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
another little important fact is to get your fuel in the morning rather than during the day.

Fuel will cool down over night and you will fill up with more fuel.......it's not going to be a gallon more on one fill up but those little numbers do stack up.

So get your fuel before the days heats gets to it and expands it.

Old 01-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G2FLIP4
I get 360+ miles per tank and by no means baby my car, Im always on the throttle hard. How can you guys be getting such ****ty mileage? Ive seen a lot of poor gas mileage posts lately.

And what were you thinking using 87 octane!?!?!?!?!
i get basicly the same milage as your getting.. and i dont baby mine either..

i usually do 530km and only put around 62L back in to fill it..

thats a 6sp manual too

Old 01-14-2010, 06:11 PM
530 to a tank is good, i got about 650 on a road trip filling about the same amount or less.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i did alot of highway driving over xmas and one tank got me 600km to 60L..

im averaging about 11-11.5L per 100km

a/c on 50% of the time.
half highway half city driving.

Last edited by GeNOS; 01-14-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by MiamiGCoupe
Well, this "You should get a civic" is getting on my nerves....Can't get any more retarded than that comment. Freakin annoying bro! I had a 96 civic hatch, type r modded with an h22 engine and some heavy mods and I loved it. I was 20, thats 8 years ago...let me find out about the car I currently own and stop with this stupid comment..."you should get a civic"...blah blah blah...and its always a newbie too and the only thing they know is that they drive an Infinity, if asked any other technical question related to the car...they're like "I don't know dude" So shut the heck up on this post. To everyone else, thanks for all the tips and opinions, they're all very well respected.
Should have kept your civc! lol or at least you should have done your homework & looked into the G before buying it to know what a "heavy drinker" it is....

Old 01-16-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
my personal test with NO attempt to get good mileage. 3 trips totaling 153.2 miles about half city/rural...l/2 country roads. speed 35-60, temp 20-35 (remember you get the best mileage at 60 degrees so the fuel can atomize properly.Shifting @3500rpm, tire pressure 31 cold ,there was total of 48 stop lights average 15 sec each. car 03 coupe 6mt......21.48 MPG...not bad I know I can beat that number anytime.

Old 01-16-2010, 12:44 PM
Alright, took the G to a mechanic today...computer plugged in, nothing wrong with the car. I'm dropping it off next week to change the belts because its cracking and do a tune up...I didn't know the G's VQ engine doesn't have a timing belt...that's good, I was about to change that, saved some bling there. I did the 3M Lens Cleaner today, lets see if it gives me more MPG.... First purchase for the car coming up....a R2C intake, nice!

PS: 3M Lens Cleaner...awesome!

Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 PM
Got 310 miles on a tank....what an improvement!!!! I couldn't believe it! Back to an acceptable MPG rate, all that without spending a dime on a tune up. Maybe this stuff will help new G owners that think they got gas guzzler.

After being crucified for putting 87 gas on my ride and finding out that people were getting 17-18mpg while I was getting only 15, I realized I had to change my driving habits. Here is what helped me improve my MPG rate.

1- Premium Gas only...(basic ****, that I didn't know)

2- Get your foot off of the gas pedal when you see a red traffic light or stop sign and let the car go in neutral for about 50-100 feet till you actually have to step on the breaks.

3- Shift at 35000 rpms or lower

4- Open you windows in the city...hard to do it in FL, hot as hell down here, but we're in the winter.

5- When you first get your car, you like to show off the vroommmm vrooommm...just don't ok? you'll save gas.

6 - DRIVE ON THE SPEED LIMIT, but don't drive like a girl. I drove on the speed limit, but at times, I had some fun really hitting the gas.

I'll post some numbers up once I get a tune up done.

Peace!

PS: Don't be thinking about your gas millage too much, or you will miss out the fun that the G offers.

Old 01-29-2010, 08:15 PM
Got 310 miles on a tank....what an improvement!!!! I couldn't believe it! Back to an acceptable MPG rate, all that without spending a dime on a tune up. Maybe this stuff will help new G owners that think they got gas guzzler.

After being crucified for putting 87 gas on my ride and finding out that people were getting 17-18mpg while I was getting only 15, I realized I had to change my driving habits. Here is what helped me improve my MPG rate.

1- Premium Gas only...(basic ****, that I didn't know)

2- Get your foot off of the gas pedal when you see a red traffic light or stop sign and let the car go in neutral for about 50-100 feet till you actually have to step on the breaks.

3- Shift at 35000 rpms or lower

4- Open you windows in the city...hard to do it in FL, hot as hell down here, but we're in the winter.

5- When you first get your car, you like to show off the vroommmm vrooommm...just don't ok? you'll save gas.

6 - DRIVE ON THE SPEED LIMIT, but don't drive like a girl. I drove on the speed limit, but at times, I had some fun really hitting the gas.

I'll post some numbers up once I get a tune up done.

Peace!

PS: Don't be thinking about your gas millage too much, or you will miss out the fun that the G offers.
i got 353 miles to the tank and then the light turned on..... im happy and i live in florida plus had my ac on a few times... so it worked out nice....

Old 02-01-2010, 02:16 AM
Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
You get better gas millage leaving the car in gear and letting off the gas rather than putting it in neutral as you coast to a stop light or stop sign. Modern cars have a built-in ECU feature called Deceleration Fuel Cut, in which the fuel injectors will completely stop injecting fuel when the car is in gear with your foot off the gas and the revs are above a certain RPM(I think it's 1250 on a 6MT) with the motor fully warmed up. When you decelerate with the car in gear, you use no fuel at all as it decelerates(compared to being in neutral and coasting to a stop in which you use the amount of fuel that it takes to have the car idle), plus it saves wear on your brakes by allowing the car to slow down a bit due to the compression of the motor.

It's also safer to keep the car in gear as you decelerate because if the motor were to cut out on you as you coasted with the car in neutral, you would lose your power steering and brake assist due to the power steering pump and Master Cylinder no longer being propelled by the rotation of the motor.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ****, this car is a heavy drinker!!!!!