G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

VQ35 vs VQ37

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by LightsOut
yes, its rice numbers. He's not going to gain up to 40hp with those mods, maybe around half those number. Unless your counting peak hp numbers, which doesn't matter anyway.
Not sure the point or direction of your argument. When anyone provides gain numbers, the peak is what is being reported. What you are talking about area under the curve and none of that is being discussed here and for that matter hp/tq would be the wrong unit anyways...

Following your logic, does that mean you disregard practically all of the HR's gain over the DE because it really only starts making more power pass 6,000 rpm?

I stand by my statement that 40whp is possible/reasonable gains giving those upgrades.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:23 PM
SIETESG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gabe3d
Not sure the point or direction of your argument. When anyone provides gain numbers, the peak is what is being reported. What you are talking about area under the curve and none of that is being discussed here and for that matter hp/tq would be the wrong unit anyways...

Following your logic, does that mean you disregard practically all of the HR's gain over the DE because it really only starts making more power pass 6,000 rpm?

I stand by my statement that 40whp is possible/reasonable gains giving those upgrades.
I was speaking based on est. number on the DE motor. No one cares for peak numbers. Its what the car is putting down to the wheels and having a nice curve is a plus benefit. As for HR motor numbers, I'd rather have an HR motor than my DE.

I disagreed that putting number next to mod doesn't give you those numbers. So adding an intake and spacer wont give you that 2+10 =12hp. looking more like 4-8 hp.

A new G owner might come and think, "WOW" all those mods will give me 40hp and then when that G owner dynos' he/she would be "what happen" I've only gained 18 hp.. then will make a thread "whats wrong with my G"

Last edited by LightsOut; 01-21-2010 at 12:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:48 PM
I was speaking based on est. number on the DE motor. No one cares for peak numbers. Its what the car is putting down to the wheels and having a nice curve is a plus benefit. As for HR motor numbers, I'd rather have an HR motor than my DE.
So you were "estimating" the gains from those mods based on a stock DE motor?

Very bold statement you have there saying that no one cares about peak numbers. Why does practically every single dyno and person provide/talk about that number then? Same goes for the published mfg numbers. Last time I checked peak power is still putting power to the ground.

Concerning the curve, drivability or peakiness was never discussed in this topic and for that matter it's application/personal preference driven as to which kind of curve is better. You rather have an HR motor yet the slope on it is practically identical to the DE one, other then the fact that the peak HP is 1000rpm further away, but you don't care about peak. So why do you like the HR better?

Old 01-21-2010, 12:57 PM
I disagreed that putting number next to mod doesn't give you those numbers. So adding an intake and spacer wont give you that 2+10 =12hp. looking more like 4-8 hp.
Is that based on some kind of empirical database you have? What kind of math are you applying here?

A new G owner might come and think, "WOW" all those mods will give me 40hp and then when that G owner dynos' he/she would be "what happen" I've only gained 18 hp.. then will make a thread "whats wrong with my G"
So you think all of those mods will only give 18whp gain?

Old 01-21-2010, 02:37 PM
SIETESG

So you were "estimating" the gains from those mods based on a stock DE motor?

Very bold statement you have there saying that no one cares about peak numbers. Why does practically every single dyno and person provide/talk about that number then? Same goes for the published mfg numbers. Last time I checked peak power is still putting power to the ground.

Concerning the curve, drivability or peakiness was never discussed in this topic and for that matter it's application/personal preference driven as to which kind of curve is better. You rather have an HR motor yet the slope on it is practically identical to the DE one, other then the fact that the peak HP is 1000rpm further away, but you don't care about peak. So why do you like the HR better?
peak is not putting hp to the ground, thats what the motor is putting out. When owners put their cars on dynos, the graph will show what their putting down to the ground.

HR motor is massively improved and redesigned over the DE motor and is the future of Nissan/Infiniti and has been proven to be a very solid motor.
HR and DE are two very different motors. Most obvious... Dual TB HR, DE single TB

Last edited by LightsOut; 01-21-2010 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 02:41 PM
SIETESG

Is that based on some kind of empirical database you have? What kind of math are you applying here?

So you think all of those mods will only give 18whp gain?
my math is based on dyno graphs that have been posted by DE g's. Avg DE motor puts out 230-240 whp, (peak hp 280-298)

From dyno graphs shown here the avg DE motor with all mods you listed max the DE motor to about 260 or so. Thats why everyone will say its much easier to go FI, rather than spending so much on small mods that do nothing really.

Peak is what sells cars off the lot. True HP freaks care about whp not what my engine can push out.

Last edited by LightsOut; 01-21-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-21-2010, 03:15 PM
peak is not putting hp to the ground, thats what the motor is putting out. When owners put their cars on dynos, the graph will show what their putting down to the ground.

HR motor is massively improved and redesigned over the DE motor and is the future of Nissan/Infiniti and has been proven to be a very solid motor.
HR and DE are two very different motors. Most obvious... Dual TB HR, DE single TB
I guess you've never really read a dyno graph before. Peak number (as the word itself indicates) simply refers to the highest point on a dyno graph for a given run. What you are talking about is the differences between Engine HP, BHP, and WHP.

The dual vs single TB is by no means a sole indicator whether an engine is superior to another one.

my math is based on dyno graphs that have been posted by DE g's. Avg DE motor puts out 230-240 whp, (peak hp 280-298)

From dyno graphs shown here the avg DE motor with all mods you listed max the DE motor to about 260 or so. Thats why everyone will say its much easier to go FI, rather than spending so much on small mods that do nothing really.
I'm talking about your math of Intake (2) + Spacer (10) = 4-8 and not 12. And how did you come up with those numbers anyways.

An average stock DE motor can put out completely different numbers on different dynos/settings/conditions. Looks like you need to do some more homework on performance and tuning on this platform.

People say to go FI if the goal is to attain bigger gains easier and cheaper and in the case of the OP, he wants to since he's looking at gains of around 100whp but he wants to stay NA so you have to respect his choice. It all depends what your goals and preferences are at the end of the day.

OP, in that my350z forum i have a thread that talks about my Tomei cam and header install. I think if you read that, it'll give you an idea on what to expect out of different cams. Exhaust wise most of the popular exhaust don't rasp but some do drone. If you plan to stay with the stock exhaust you should get some Test Pipes and see how they are, more then likely you will not have drone. There are quite a few of videos on youtube of this setup.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:28 PM
SIETESG

I guess you've never really read a dyno graph before. Peak number (as the word itself indicates) simply refers to the highest point on a dyno graph for a given run. What you are talking about is the differences between Engine HP, BHP, and WHP.

The dual vs single TB is by no means a sole indicator whether an engine is superior to another one.

I'm talking about your math of Intake (2) + Spacer (10) = 4-8 and not 12. And how did you come up with those numbers anyways.

An average stock DE motor can put out completely different numbers on different dynos/settings/conditions. Looks like you need to do some more homework on performance and tuning on this platform.

People say to go FI if the goal is to attain bigger gains easier and cheaper and in the case of the OP, he wants to since he's looking at gains of around 100whp but he wants to stay NA so you have to respect his choice. It all depends what your goals and preferences are at the end of the day.

OP, in that my350z forum i have a thread that talks about my Tomei cam and header install. I think if you read that, it'll give you an idea on what to expect out of different cams. Exhaust wise most of the popular exhaust don't rasp but some do drone. If you plan to stay with the stock exhaust you should get some Test Pipes and see how they are, more then likely you will not have drone. There are quite a few of videos on youtube of this setup.
dang... your taking one thing and flipping around.. I said the OBVIOUS difference is the the dual intake. didnt say thats the only difference.

of course all dyno put out different numbers thats why based it off estimate not stating actual numbers like you have.

graph is read out as peak hp to the wheels, if you wanted peak hp to the motor you'll have to dyno the motor only.

I get my numbers from the same ricer genius math you used... Im done

Old 01-21-2010, 03:29 PM
dang... your taking one thing and flipping around.. I said the OBVIOUS difference is the the dual intake. didnt say thats the only difference.

of course all dyno put out different numbers thats why based it off estimate not stating actual numbers like you have.

graph is read out as peak hp to the wheels, if you wanted peak hp to the motor you'll have to dyno the motor only.

Im done and your ricer math
Thank god you are stopping and also parting out cause you don't make any sense.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:31 PM
SIETESG

Thank god you are stopping and also parting out cause you don't make any sense.
Im upgrading to an HR motor.. time to do ricer math.

intake 10 hp
hfc 12

wooohoooo.. 22 hp here I come.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:41 PM
Im upgrading to an HR motor.. time to do ricer math.

intake 10 hp
hfc 12

wooohoooo.. 22 hp here I come.
It's too bad you aren't completely getting off the VQ platform almost cried of joy there. Ricer indeed you are and I'm surprised by your post count that you are. Sorry about it but whatever floats your boat.

If you want to keep proving that you are wrong let me know cause I do dyno every parts I have and can easily show you dynos...

Old 01-21-2010, 03:46 PM
SIETESG

far from ricer.. unlike your hp count.

Old 01-21-2010, 03:56 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
If you're looking to make the kind of power a full bolt-on, tuned VQ37VHR is making on a VQ35DE, then you're looking in to 5 figure estimates in $$$$$.

These were my gains on a stock revup vs exhaust/test pipes/spacer+MREV2/Osiris tuned on a dynapack. Yes, the numbers itself are higher than what you'll typically see on a dynojet or dynodynamics. But the gains [final-stock] are typical.

Name:  tunedVSstock.jpg
Views: 1012
Size:  175.2 KB

Old 01-21-2010, 05:13 PM
far from ricer.. unlike your hp count.
Says you. It's like crap convincing to itself that it doesn't smell.

Skaterbasist, is that Church's dynapack?

Old 01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
Retired SuperMod
Received 101 Likes on 66 Posts
Yes it is.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VQ35 vs VQ37