G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Going into the Navy

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 04:22 AM
Ban Hammer Expert

Received 635 Likes on 551 Posts
Going into the Navy

This past week i got processed and officially signed my contract to serve in the navy and i'm trying to get my **** together before i leave and don't know what to do with my G. After bootcamp i'm going to be stationed in Virginia Beach, Virginia for both A school and C school for my job training but i don't know if i should have my car driven down there so i can have it. About the time i'm going to be there it'll be snow season and my car is lowered and his normal tires so i don't know if i should go with snow tires or just leave the car at home all together. What seems like the best choice? or any other suggestions of what i should do

Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
IMO, you should leave it, you'd probably be too busy training and working and wouldn't have time to drive it around since it'll snow most of the time. But if you feel like its something you need when you're there. Have it taken to VA.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Having been there myself (in the Marine Corps stationed at Dam Neck for school)...

You're going to want a car down there. Taking cabs everyone gets REALLY expensive and is a huge waste of time. I'm originally from Philadelphia so it was only a 6 hour drive to VA Beach. I went home one weekend from school and picked up my car...have never looked back. Virginia is extremely flat, so you don't really have hills or anything else to worry about. Also, with Virginia Beach being only 30 minutes from North Carolina, I don't see you having too much snow in that area over the winter. Check out the link for average snowfall. You'll see it's under .2 inches as the max.

http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/Di...ORF&normals=on

Old 02-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
This is a question we all have to deal with when going into the service. I sold my car when I went into the service, they had me moving around the country every six months in schools and finally over seas. When I got out I had a complete attitude change and wanted something different than what I had owned. Lots of options....
Gary

Old 02-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
You want your car. Trust me. I hope you didn't sign more than 4 years though. I'm in the Navy and I hate it. Now is probably the worst time to be in the Navy too. Our current administration isn't too fond of the military so there's little funding. We don't even have enough money for bullets so we can't qual every 6 months like we used to. You don't have to worry about snow down in VAB though. We just got 3 feet of snow up in NoVA and I'm alright. I'm lowered with summer tires. If you know how to drive in it, you'll be fine. I was stationed in Hampton Roads when I was active. I wouldn't worry about selling the G until you're deployed. I wish I had my car when I was in A-school in Texas but it wasn't worth driving it from Maine.

Old 02-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YOU WILL WANT YOUR CAR IN VA-BEACH! Trust me. Growing up, my stomping grounds were the chesapeake/va-beach area, and I can tell you without a shadow of doubt, you'll want your car. Theres all sorts of fun to be had down at the beach, and then you're also going to want to be able to hit up the fun in Norfolk as well. Not counting this year, because this winter was a rare one, you really dont have to worry about snow down there.

Take your car, you'll be glad you did.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
I have fam in Va beach theres about 8 inches right now.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:46 PM
Ban Hammer Expert

Originally Posted by ThreeBlockWar
Having been there myself (in the Marine Corps stationed at Dam Neck for school)...

You're going to want a car down there. Taking cabs everyone gets REALLY expensive and is a huge waste of time. I'm originally from Philadelphia so it was only a 6 hour drive to VA Beach. I went home one weekend from school and picked up my car...have never looked back. Virginia is extremely flat, so you don't really have hills or anything else to worry about. Also, with Virginia Beach being only 30 minutes from North Carolina, I don't see you having too much snow in that area over the winter. Check out the link for average snowfall. You'll see it's under .2 inches as the max.

http://www.wunderground.com/NORMS/Di...ORF&normals=on
Yeah i know my sister is there right now for A school at Dam Neck for IS training and she sent me pictures of her car buried in the snow and i was like damn!! Since i'm going in as IS too i'm gonna be stationed there too so thats why i'm wondering why there is so much snow in a place that has beach in its name hahaha

Old 02-07-2010, 01:47 PM
Ban Hammer Expert

Originally Posted by FederalG
You want your car. Trust me. I hope you didn't sign more than 4 years though. I'm in the Navy and I hate it. Now is probably the worst time to be in the Navy too. Our current administration isn't too fond of the military so there's little funding. We don't even have enough money for bullets so we can't qual every 6 months like we used to. You don't have to worry about snow down in VAB though. We just got 3 feet of snow up in NoVA and I'm alright. I'm lowered with summer tires. If you know how to drive in it, you'll be fine. I was stationed in Hampton Roads when I was active. I wouldn't worry about selling the G until you're deployed. I wish I had my car when I was in A-school in Texas but it wasn't worth driving it from Maine.
Right now my contract says 4 active, 4 reserves but for my job i'm probably gonna end up have six active and 2 reserve. And yeah i know it doesn't usually get alota snow but it got like crazy snow the past 2 weeks cause my sister is stationed down there in Virginia Beach also.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Ban Hammer Expert

So i'm thinkin that the majority is saying keep it through Schooling until i get deployed and then either keep it storaged or sell it? and having it lowered won't be a problem in the snow?

Old 02-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by ambiguous113
Right now my contract says 4 active, 4 reserves but for my job i'm probably gonna end up have six active and 2 reserve. And yeah i know it doesn't usually get alota snow but it got like crazy snow the past 2 weeks cause my sister is stationed down there in Virginia Beach also.
This significant amount of snow that we got this year only happens every 10-15 years. I think you be aight. Even if you get a couple inches, just don't drive. You'll be in the barracks during A/C-school anyway.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:51 PM
So i'm thinkin that the majority is saying keep it through Schooling until i get deployed and then either keep it storaged or sell it? and having it lowered won't be a problem in the snow?
Nope, unless you're slammed, you won't get enough snow for it to even be a problem. I'm on H-Techs so obviously I plow the snow up here if I have to drive. But down there on the beach, you won't have a problem. And like I said, having the car is a want not a need. So you'll have the luxury of not having to drive during training because you'll be in the barracks.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:34 AM
Ban Hammer Expert

Originally Posted by FederalG
Nope, unless you're slammed, you won't get enough snow for it to even be a problem. I'm on H-Techs so obviously I plow the snow up here if I have to drive. But down there on the beach, you won't have a problem. And like I said, having the car is a want not a need. So you'll have the luxury of not having to drive during training because you'll be in the barracks.
Yeah thats true but every time i talk to my sister she is always going out and using her car to go to dinner and to the bars so she gets alot of use out of hers down there

Old 02-08-2010, 09:45 AM
Yeah thats true but every time i talk to my sister she is always going out and using her car to go to dinner and to the bars so she gets alot of use out of hers down there
Yes, bars and eating out are not necessities. If it were to snow, you'd be alright without bars and eating out for a day or so.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exactly. Take your car, you'll be glad you did.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Going into the Navy