23.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions on New Wheels

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opinions on New Wheels

I'm not going staggered. As much as I want to, the hassle and price outweighs the look for me. I'll end up making a decision myself, just looking for some input. On a side note, anyone know about how much I could get for my 18" chrome stockers with good tires?

My G35:

Option 1: RUFF RACING R281

Option 2: Motegi Racing TOUGE

Option 3: TENZO Type-M Version 1

Option 4: XIX X05

Old 02-10-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Post prices next to the pictures?

Old 02-10-2010, 03:11 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
I love my touges, but I'm selling them. They're 18s though.

They are a nice looking wheel.

Old 02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Originally Posted by PhantomCoupe
Post prices next to the pictures?
Without tires:

RUFF RACING R281: $1488
Motegi Racing TOUGE: $1312
TENZO Type-M Version 1: $1532
XIX X05: $1520

Originally Posted by 4DGS
I love my touges, but I'm selling them. They're 18s though.

They are a nice looking wheel.
Got any pics? It'd be nice to see them on a G35!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
Def. the tenzo's the rest meh, lips look so cheap!!!

Old 02-10-2010, 03:23 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
I hate posting these photos since my car looks so different now, but these are on my sedan with pretty weak offsets, hence the new wheels.

These are also first gen touges with the rolled lip

Old 02-10-2010, 03:24 PM
Well, you're probably not going to like my imput, but In my openion, id save up for some nicer quality wheels. Volks or work or iForged or idk theres lots of nice brands out there. For example, i bought my work VS-XX wheels used with 90% left on the toyo tires and in very good conditon for like 2300 shipped. So i mean by the time you spend money on tires and stuff your going to be fairly close to that price range.

I mean get the wheels you want, but when i first got my G i bought crappy wheels and they faded and got ugly so idk. Just a suggestion. Tenzos if i had to pick

Old 02-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4dgs, what where they offsets of the rims in those pics?? just curious.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:18 PM
Man, even for 18's those Touges look tiny! I'd have to get 20" just to make them look proportionate.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:46 PM
Originally Posted by PhantomCoupe
Well, you're probably not going to like my imput, but In my openion, id save up for some nicer quality wheels. Volks or work or iForged or idk theres lots of nice brands out there.
Thank you for your opinion, truly, and I understand where you're coming from. However, I don't get why a lot of people seem to scream out Volks, Work, etc wheels when someone mentions getting new wheels for a G35. I admit that the build quality MAY be a bit better, but I've had off-brand wheels on several of my vehicles and never had any issues with them. Yet I've had brands such as Enkei where the machined lip looked like crap after a year. I'm out to get some nice black wheels to blend with the car. Not so much interested in a fanatic wheel ***** to come along and be like "ZOMG he has Volks! I just peed a little!"

With that in mind, I'm not saying you're a fanboy or fanatic, just stressing a point that just because a wheel company has made a name for themselves via whatever advertising necessary, doesn't mean they are the gods in wheel land. I worked for one of the largest wheel resellers in the US for a time, and in my experience, a wheel is a wheel and if something goes wrong, a warranty is a warranty.

Anyway, I hope you don't take offence to that, it was not intended that way.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:53 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
tenzos

Old 02-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 335 Likes on 187 Posts
Originally Posted by twarsop
Thank you for your opinion, truly, and I understand where you're coming from. However, I don't get why a lot of people seem to scream out Volks, Work, etc wheels when someone mentions getting new wheels for a G35. I admit that the build quality MAY be a bit better, but I've had off-brand wheels on several of my vehicles and never had any issues with them. Yet I've had brands such as Enkei where the machined lip looked like crap after a year. I'm out to get some nice black wheels to blend with the car. Not so much interested in a fanatic wheel ***** to come along and be like "ZOMG he has Volks! I just peed a little!"

With that in mind, I'm not saying you're a fanboy or fanatic, just stressing a point that just because a wheel company has made a name for themselves via whatever advertising necessary, doesn't mean they are the gods in wheel land. I worked for one of the largest wheel resellers in the US for a time, and in my experience, a wheel is a wheel and if something goes wrong, a warranty is a warranty.

Anyway, I hope you don't take offence to that, it was not intended that way.
The quality of those wheels are more than a bit better. You're comparing mediocre cast wheels with multi piece forged wheels. MUCH different. People mention those wheels not only for the quality but the overall look and build detail that goes into those wheels are worlds better than all of these cast replica wheels. Some are more decent than others, IMO Rota, tenzo, R-1, and a few others are a little better than most of these replica companies. but still none are close to the real thing. If you have ever put one of works wheel and one of these replica wheels side by side and really studies and looked at them you'd see the difference. It's not about being a fan boy its about using quality parts that don't bring down the VQ community.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:15 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Twarsop....Since we drive a quality vehicle it make since to buy wheels that are at least an upgrade to OE, that's why you'll see the names Works, Volks and IForged mentioned frequently. If you can't buy new rims, like the other member mentioned pickup some good used rims/tires here on Driver. You can even shop over on My350Z on their MARKETPLACE too. Know what size and offsets (19" wheels with mid 20s offsets) you want so you can make a decision before someone beats you to them. Getting your OE wheels chrome plated runs $100 per wheel, at least here in CA. Good Luck....
Gary

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM
No offence taken man. i see where your coming from, idk i guess id just rather have real 3 piece rather than fake for around the same money, Used that is. But I mean i could care less what the name is, i just like the quality and the look the most. And if i ever decide to make them black instead of gold. i just take the center piece out and send that to get coated and it will look super clean. idk there is just more options i guess.

Im just making a little reccomendation, also the 350z marketplace has some realllly cheap wheels... check out these BBS wheels... Really nice. for 2200 shipped reg 1000 a wheel.

http://my350z.com/forum/wheels-tires...new-price.html

Old 02-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Twarsop....Since we drive a quality vehicle it make since to buy wheels that are at least an upgrade to OE, that's why you'll see the names Works, Volks and IForged mentioned frequently. If you can't buy new rims, like the other member mentioned pickup some good used rims/tires here on Driver. You can even shop over on My350Z on their MARKETPLACE too. Know what size and offsets (19" wheels with mid 20s offsets) you want so you can make a decision before someone beats you to them. Getting your OE wheels chrome plated runs $100 per wheel, at least here in CA. Good Luck....
Gary
Hey Gary,

What I meant in the original post is that I have stock 18" wheels that are chrome. Once I get my new set, I'll be looking to sell them. Just curious if anyone has any ideas on how much I would be able to sell them for either here, ebay, craigslist, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions on New Wheels