what to expect after 70k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 08:11 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by jwrape
"Historically, all cars start to break down around 70 to 80K "

I can't agree with that at all. I've have owned over 30 cars since I was 15(I am 33 now), all but 3 had over 100k miles on them. i can only think of one that really gave me any trouble other than an altenator or starter while owning them. The G that I have now is the first time I have had a MAJOR issue and that is due to poor maintenance. The Timing chain should have been changed and it would still be running great. But that's working out to be in my favor anyways with a new motor in the car. :-)
At a 100kmi, a car is just getting broken-in in my mind.
But people that think a cars life is over at 70kmi or 100k mi's are the people I get my greatest deals from. They sell the car for nothing cause they think it's on it's last legs.
Depends on the car obviously.

My 1997 WV Passat was dead at 60k and with difficulty limped to 90k when I sold it.

AC did not work
replace hub bearings at 70k
Replace front drive axle (it just broke off)
Sun roof did not open
Car leaked water in to the cabin
Trunk did not open from the inside (button did not work)
Driver door was broken (did not lock)
Constantly drained the battery (was shorted somewhere)

And list goes on.

Now with my G, I'm seconds away from 90k and I have not had a single problem.
Car runs like a champ.

Only things I do to it is regular maintenance and replacing some of the parts that wear out faster due to the modifications (tires, shocks/struts)
I'm actually still on my original battery and drive belts (which dealer suggested to replace at 30k)

So after 70k you should not be expecting any kind of surprises, but that depends on the previous owner of course.
If you do buy a car with higher millage then no matter what kind of maintenance records you shown, still go ahead and replace all the fluids and filters; spark plugs; drive belts (if the ones on the car are in poor condition); do some cleaning of the fuel system, heads and block with seafom.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:14 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JOKER

My 1997 WV Passat was dead at 60k and with difficulty limped to 90k when I sold it.

AC did not work
replace hub bearings at 70k
Replace front drive axle (it just broke off)
Sun roof did not open
Car leaked water in to the cabin
Trunk did not open from the inside (button did not work)
Driver door was broken (did not lock)
Constantly drained the battery (was shorted somewhere)

And list goes on.

Now with my G, I'm seconds away from 90k and I have not had a single problem.
Car runs like a champ.

Only things I do to it is regular maintenance and replacing some of the parts that wear out faster due to the modifications (tires, shocks/struts)
I'm actually still on my original battery and drive belts (which dealer suggested to replace at 30k)

So after 70k you should not be expecting any kind of surprises, but that depends on the previous owner of course.
If you do buy a car with higher millage then no matter what kind of maintenance records you shown, still go ahead and replace all the fluids and filters; spark plugs; drive belts (if the ones on the car are in poor condition); do some cleaning of the fuel system, heads and block with seafom.
I agree totally. When you buy any used car you should check and/or replace the normal maintenance issues like belts, tires, clutch, fluids, etc..

Old 03-04-2010, 08:18 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Jwrape

I see your point, with that type of logic you might as well replace the engine at 100k and why stop at that, let's replace the entire car while we at it.

What I'm saying is that I have seeing VQ's (VQ is a model of the motor used by Nissan/Infiniti in few of their cars for those that don't know) with well over 200k on them that were still running with original timing chain.

It all depends on how you maintain and drive your car.

In your case, if you are buying a used car and you want it to be reliable means of transportation for following 100k miles , you might as well change the timing chain and few other things.

But it is not one of the tings that needs replacement at 100k if car is driven properly and maintained accordingly.

You pistons see much more stress than your chain.......you don't replace them at 100k do you?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:19 AM
Depends on the car, yes, but also depends on the owner. Some people were raised to sell a car before a certain mileage because their father did when they were young and they are too ignorant of cars to know any different. Those are the people I am referencing.

Basically, they buy the car new, they keep up with all the scheduled maitenance at the dealer, never do anything personally to the car, then when the warranty runs out they panic and sell the car to people like me that drive it for another 60k mi. change a altenator or a starter, maybe a radiator or something and re-sell it and move on to the next car. It's a ever revolving door of newer cars for people like me.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:26 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Deff man.

There is always something for everyone.

One mans trash is other mans treasure.

Me, I'm planning to keep my G till it falls into pieces, then I'm gonna supper glue it all together and drive it for another 300k miles.
And when everyone will be flying their "Tom Cruise" Lexuses on highways in the sky, I'll be the only one with my G tearing up the streets below and polluting the crap out of the planet with my 3.5 litter V6.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwrape
Depends on the car, yes, but also depends on the owner. Some people were raised to sell a car before a certain mileage because their father did when they were young and they are too ignorant of cars to know any different. Those are the people I am referencing.

Basically, they buy the car new, they keep up with all the scheduled maitenance at the dealer, never do anything personally to the car, then when the warranty runs out they panic and sell the car to people like me that drive it for another 60k mi. change a altenator or a starter, maybe a radiator or something and re-sell it and move on to the next car. It's a ever revolving door of newer cars for people like me.
Yes--I'm with you on this one. I never buy new; have always bought 3-4 years used with 15k to 60k miles, for about half the price that it was new. then drive it another 100K miles...

Old 03-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Jwrape

I see your point, with that type of logic you might as well replace the engine at 100k and why stop at that, let's replace the entire car while we at it.

What I'm saying is that I have seeing VQ's with well over 200k on them that were still running with original timing chain, motor and transmission.

It all depends on how you maintain and drive your car.

In your case, if you are buying a used car and you want it to be reliable means of transportation for following 100k miles , you might as well change the timing chain and few other things.

But it is not one of the tings that needs replacement at 100k if car is driven properly and maintained accordingly.

You pistons see much more stress than your chain.......you don't replace them at 100k do you?
That kind of thinking is backwards, sorry. Not trying to insult. But the pistons are made MUCH strogner than that weak chain. The Pistons are mostly a solid piece of metal. The chain has multipe links meaning multiple points in which it can break. The pistons will last 5x longer than any timing chain.

I'm not saying if you don't replace your chain it will definately break. No one can predict that. If you drive like a Grandma and never stress the car and do all the proper maintenance, of course the chain will last well over 200k, maybe 300k. I've seen many cars like that, but they weren't driven hard, they were driven without stress or maybe they are just fortunate. But for my car and MANY G owners, I drive a little agressively, it's a G. If I am gonna drive and enjoy my cars like they should be, I say replace the chain at or around 100k miles TO BE SAFE. No, it's not a requirement by the service manual, what dealer you know has all the answers? Just look at Toyota right now. But if you don't want thousands in repairs when your chain breaks, and bends all your valves from hitting the tops of the pistons (that will still work after the chain breaks), then replace the chain. I should have, but hine sight is 20/20... I'm jus' sayin' Replacing the chain can save you money later.
Learn from what just happened to me 2 nights ago when I was stranded because my chain let go. Not fun....

Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
did you pull your engine out yet?

Old 03-04-2010, 08:50 AM
did you pull your engine out yet?
Nah, it's only been a day since it let go but last night I stuck the engine back in my Conquest.

I still have to connect it all up but my friend and I got it sitting in it's mounts last night. Thank God I have a 2nd car that was waiting on it's heart transplant... It will be running by Monday.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:51 AM
Oh and I just picked up a block last night with 5000 miles on it.... It's a long block but it's being shipped to me. Should be a nice addition to the G.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
71k..

Old 03-04-2010, 04:35 PM
CLUB MODERATOR
^OMG OMG OMG OMG

Old 03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jwrape, I just noticed you have a 6-speed and you said you drive it hard. Those two things would be your recipe for disaster. My LS1, had a timing chain like what you see on motorcycles. If they made this car only in a automatic then you could beat on it all day and wouldn't see any issues on the chain. Unless of course you're running a shift kit.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Oh and I just picked up a block last night with 5000 miles on it
More important question. Who destroyed a G/350 at 5000 Miles? Sad

Mind telling how much it was with shipping? Just incase I bust the chain (knocks on wood)

Old 03-05-2010, 02:02 AM
80000 and haven't had 1 problem with routine maint from Infiniti and it's under warranty until 97000 from when I bought it used with 30000 and I can extend the warranty for another yr

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what to expect after 70k?