G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Police Auctions! Please Read.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Police Auctions! Please Read.

I previously made a thread but despite having many views nobody responded so I'm trying again. I'm wanting to buy a G (preferably) or 350z in the NY/NJ area police auctions. I'm aware that I have to be lucky in finding the cars in one of these auctions but I was wondering on how the process works.

I have a 2 friends who get listing for the auctions and the day before can log onto a website to view the inventory that's going to be auctioned. I want to know what can I expect from these cars.

Are they generally abused?
What are the warranty details?
Are they a hassle to register/insure?
Are there any hidden fees?
Will the IRS somehow grip my wallet demanding some kind of hidden taxes?

It's my understanding that you are not allowed to start the car however you CAN go and visually inspect the car before the auctions to check for any damages.

Are these sales generally "as is"?

Any help would be appreciated. Again I'm from the NY/NJ area. Thanks.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:44 AM
ok,
Dont quote me from this cause im not 100% sure, but i am in the car auction business, so i know a little about the police auctions

1. Most of the times the car has been abused(not all of the time though) they usually have something wrong with them.

2.Most cars don't have warranty on them, it depends how old the car is, when was it bought and all that stuff. If your buying a g35 most likely it will not have warranty.

3. I'm not really sure about that, in regular car auctions it fairly easy because u have a dealers license.

4.Usually there are no hidden charges. but most of the time theres at least 1 thing wrong with the car.

5.Not sure on that.

And yes u will be able to look at the car just not drive it.

And yes, there always "as is"

i hope i helped you

Old 03-18-2010, 11:48 AM
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gQstatus05
I previously made a thread but despite having many views nobody responded so I'm trying again. I'm wanting to buy a G (preferably) or 350z in the NY/NJ area police auctions. I'm aware that I have to be lucky in finding the cars in one of these auctions but I was wondering on how the process works.

I have a 2 friends who get listing for the auctions and the day before can log onto a website to view the inventory that's going to be auctioned. I want to know what can I expect from these cars.

Are they generally abused?
It's possible, but not typical. Some are seized during normal stops or home drug busts.
What are the warranty details?
If a factory warranty is still on the vehicle, it should be honored.
Are they a hassle to register/insure?
No idea. Call your local DMV.
Are there any hidden fees?
Sorry, no idea here either. I've heard you have certain fees simply for being at the auction whether you pick up a vehicle or not. There might be fees after winning the auction. They should be clearly posted though. Prepare to pay cash for the vehicle you win though.
Will the IRS somehow grip my wallet demanding some kind of hidden taxes?
Not sure. Depends on your state. There should only be a sales tax, I suppose.

It's my understanding that you are not allowed to start the car however you CAN go and visually inspect the car before the auctions to check for any damages.

Are these sales generally "as is"?
Definitely as-is unless the warranty still applies. General damage won't be covered by the dealership, of course.

Any help would be appreciated. Again I'm from the NY/NJ area. Thanks.
Replies attached. There should be someone here that's attended an auction before. I would suggest attending an auction even if they don't list a car you're interested in. Pay the entry fee. Walk around. Soak in how it all works. Then you won't have any surprises when you decide to attend to bid.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Late on the response. Just like he said.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:21 PM
How much do you think I can get a G35 or 350z at an auction for. I understand it's usually below KBB value. My friend picked up a 2005 Nissan Altima for 4000. The motor was knocking and since he's a mechanic he replaced the motor for 1500 and now has a perfectly working car. I also have to tip the people who helped me get into the police auction.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
If the car is a government seizure, the title will be marked as "true mileage unknown". You won't have any trouble titling it, but tmu carries the same stigma as a salvage title.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:10 AM
It depends what year the 350z or the g is. And how manymiles it has
A 2005 350z with about 50k miles might go for 10k or so.
There pretty good deals but like I said usually
there's somthing wrong. It may not be major or it may
it's "as is" condition.
It's a risk most of the time.

Old 03-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Ok cool. I'm going to be attending one of those auctions to feel it out. Thanks for the replies.

Old 03-20-2010, 02:05 AM
good luck just be careful of what you buy!

Old 03-20-2010, 02:14 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you just might get a good deal. you just might have to live with the knowledge that someone may have been killed in your car.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:09 AM
As long as the previous owner cleaned up after himself. What would suck is if I got pulled over and they found drugs stashed in the seat. I think I read about that one day online.

Old 03-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't do it. I bought my car from a an auction and regret it. It is better to buy from dealership so they will fix everything that is wrong with the car.

Old 03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
Most police agencies will do a courtesy check of your car right after you buy it if you take the bill of sale over with you and explain you want the car searched. I know for a fact the military security forces will do it. I've done it to every used vehicle I've purchased. They log it in that they inspected it as well.