G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

engine oil issue???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2010 | 07:02 AM
|
engine oil issue???

Ok so i know what the deal is with the engine oil problems. Basically if the oil light turns on the engine is ****ed. Now my thing is if the person who had the car before u had the light turn on how can u tell if the engine is ****ed? Would there be performace lag? What are the signs to look out for???

Old 04-10-2010 | 09:26 AM
The engine oil light comes on when there is an engine oil pressure problem. It means to immediately shut off your engine and get it towed. It does not mean that you are necessarily low on oil. There is a very simple fix for the engine oil consumption problem. Check you oil frequently, if your unsure about your engine that means every couple of days take careful note of any drop in level, and keep it topped off. Severe engine damage in cars with engine oil consumption problems can be avoided by keeping your oil topped off and getting it tested at the dealer.

Old 04-10-2010 | 07:47 PM
You don't want to wait for the light to come on, check your oil level on a regular basis and listen to your motor. If you notice your oil level going down take it to the dealership and have them start an OC test. It's possible you'll never have the problem with OC most don't. Drive your Infiniti and enjoy a great ride, just check your oil every few days and be aware the issue exists.
Gary

Old 04-11-2010 | 03:32 AM
|
Ok i know all that. But some ******* took my car out without permission when i was away on business and all of a sudden hes doing an oil change. So IF said ******* ran it and the light came on then how would i be able to tell???

Old 04-12-2010 | 02:10 AM
|
Anybody????

Old 04-12-2010 | 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by fatlip
Ok so i know what the deal is with the engine oil problems. Basically if the oil light turns on the engine is ****ed. Now my thing is if the person who had the car before u had the light turn on how can u tell if the engine is ****ed? Would there be performace lag? What are the signs to look out for???
If your oil light comes on, it simply means your low on oil.
Now, if your engine becomes seized, then you have a problem.

Old 04-12-2010 | 02:45 AM
^ exactly.

Old 04-20-2010 | 08:26 PM
Don't wait for the oil light to come one. Once oil is changed it is good to check the oil level every 1000 miles as the Oil tends to burn with fuel and more oil gets burnt if the oil is petroleum based. Switching to synthetic is recommended as Synthetic Oil does not burn as much as petroleum based oils. I use AMSOIL and change Oil just once a year and check oil level in between and top it up if needed.

Old 04-21-2010 | 10:41 AM
Pg 2-10 of the Owners Manual. Engine Oil Pressure warning light. This light warns of low engine oil pressure. If the light flickers or comes on during normal driving pull off the road and stop the engine immediately. The engine oil pressure warning light is not designed to indicate a low oil level. Use the dipstick to check the oil level.

Old 04-21-2010 | 10:47 AM
^Usually when there's a drop in oil pressure its because of a low oil level.

Old 04-21-2010 | 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by Wrangler
I use AMSOIL and change my Oil just once a year and check oil level in between and top it up if needed.
You only change your oil once a year? Regardless of what kind of oil you're using once a year isn't frequent enough! G35 Driver is for members that care about what they drive, apparently you don't....
Gary

Old 05-01-2010 | 05:20 PM
just brought my car into the dealer for an oil change and to check on a rattling when i accellerate. They said the rattling was due to a bearing underneath the motor and the car also had pretty much no oil in it. I bought the car less than 3 months ago from another dealer and just hit 3k miles since i've owned it. They're telling me they need to drop the motor and do a diagnosis and the motor is most likely shot. Besides the rattling the car runs fine. No lights came on or anything. Does this sound like bull**** to you. I know there's some oil issue with these engines but not really sure what. Can someone give me some feedback on the situation and a brif description of the common oil problem? Thanks guys i appreciate it. Wasn't really ready for this news this morning lol.

Old 05-01-2010 | 05:56 PM
Banned
Looks like you bought a car with oil consumption issues. If it's not under warranty, I would take back to the other dealer you bought it from and tell them about it.
But, most likely, sold to you "as-is". So you are pretty much azzed out. Infiniti can do the right thing by replacing it because the 05-07 rev-ups are known to have consumption issues.

But seeing how it is Infiniti, good luck at that. I'm guessing you are out 8-10k for a new motor. Welcome to the world of Nissan/Infiniti.

Old 05-01-2010 | 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by My056MT
just brought my car into the dealer for an oil change and to check on a rattling when i accellerate. They said the rattling was due to a bearing underneath the motor and the car also had pretty much no oil in it. I bought the car less than 3 months ago from another dealer and just hit 3k miles since i've owned it. They're telling me they need to drop the motor and do a diagnosis and the motor is most likely shot. Besides the rattling the car runs fine. No lights came on or anything. Does this sound like bull**** to you. I know there's some oil issue with these engines but not really sure what. Can someone give me some feedback on the situation and a brif description of the common oil problem? Thanks guys i appreciate it. Wasn't really ready for this news this morning lol.
That really sucks man. I was in the same boat as you when I bought my 05 6mt about a year ago. I had to add about a quart of oil every 1000 miles. Luckily I was still under warranty and got the engine replaced without any hassle. I hope you are too.

Old 05-01-2010 | 07:44 PM
yea luckily i purchased an extended warranty when i bought the car so i got infiniti dealing with them right now...when they replace the motor is it some refurbished one or is it a brand new one from the factory?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: engine oil issue???