G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

VDC supposed to scare the ***t out of you?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 08:01 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Keep the VDC on, it is much safer for normal drivers, of course exclude all the professional race car drivers on here...

Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by alfhasg35
vdc = useless imo.. it's for people who can't drive..
AGREED! This system is the worst of any of the cars I've owned with a "nannie". I make it a point to shut it off almost 100% of the time.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr. Jekyl
AGREED! This system is the worst of any of the cars I've owned with a "nannie". I make it a point to shut it off almost 100% of the time.
I used to shut it off all the time until I slammed on my brakes and hit a slick spot on the road and the VDC saved me from spinning out and slamming into the car in front of me.

Now I only shut it off when I'm having fun.

Though typically when I get new tires put on the system needs a bit of time to "relearn" the new tire sizes and it goes off randomly just like the OP describes, so I just drive relatively easy for the next couple hundred miles, and if it still randomly goes off as I'm driving easily I'll turn the VDC off for the remainder of the drive.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unless it is raining (or snowing where you live), stop being such pansy boys and learn to drive a RWD car. Really not that hard, and kind of the point of a sports coupe. The VDC does some squirrelly things when you are driving the car the way it should on dry pavement. I turn mine off unless it is raining. Of course, I learned to drive in Michigan before FWD or AWD cars were common.

Now my wife's Audi has an awesome electronic stability control when mated with the Quattro system, makes the car scary stable, no matter how stupid you are driving.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:23 AM
First thing I do when I get in the car is turn VDC off. You should practice little drifting to see how to catch control of the car.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:08 AM
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuke
Unless it is raining (or snowing where you live), stop being such pansy boys and learn to drive a RWD car. Really not that hard, and kind of the point of a sports coupe.
I can drive the living hell out my G with the need of VDC to hold my hand, but I see no point to turn it off during normal driving. It pretty much never comes on and if I happen to hit an oil patch it'll probably save me.

But I will agree, if you want to do ANYTHING fun with the car at all, it needs to be off.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Originally Posted by code2424
First thing I do when I get in the car is turn VDC off. You should practice little drifting to see how to catch control of the car.
Exactly

If somebody owns a RWD car, its important that they know how to drive it.
My rear tires lasted 2 months when I first got this car. The benefit of this is knowing what your car is doing/will do and how to control it.

For those of you having problems with your VDC, sounds like something is ****** up with your car. Never had any bad experiences with this.(YET)

Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by jfdeltoro
yea, maybe something is wrong with my car because it doesnt feel helpful at all. It litteraly makes the car feel unstable. Its not that im powering through these turns or trying to get the rear loose, it just feels like its a little too sensitive.
VDC just cuts throttle and applies brake to certain wheels when sliding. VDC saved me from totaling my car. Took a ramp pretty quick and the. *** end fishtailed quite a bit and bounced left and right a few times.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 AM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
I hate VDC!!! You cant have fun in the car, christ you cant even squeal the tires at a stop light with it.

I can pitch the car sideways and and slide thru a corner, guess its not as easy as I make it out to be, with all the clowns crashing their cars with VDC off.

I like to whip the rear out around almost every corner I take, its all about throttle control, so the car doesnt jerk suddenly when youre coming out of the slide, thats when you get into trouble, when you just let of the gas all the sudden or go all the way around.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:06 AM
I've noticed my G35 does not handle as well with the VDC on. I think it is preventing any oversteer even during normal driving.

I also hate the braking/throttle cut out when it engages. If I floor it or whip the car in a tight maneuver, I don't want the car deciding to kill acceleration or speed or keep the care from handling in the middle of it. If I wanted that in a car, I would have bought the biggest people hauler with the smallest turbocharged engine I could find.

Old 04-23-2010, 11:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by cremaster
yeah, makes an awful sound when it engages but i rather hear that than the screech of my G sliding across the pavement, hopping a curb, hitting a bus bench, crushing the homeless man, ruining my suspension, having blood and human waste splatter onto my paint and BBK and all onto my under carriage... but i digress.
rofl! wtf!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:54 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Indirectly, VDC does have its uses.

Just think of VDC as an early tire replacement indicator instead.

If it starts engaging a lot during mildly aggressive moves in dry weather, you're losing traction too much and an obvious sign regarding your tires.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Keep vdc on when it's wet out, and when you have people in your car, do what ever you want after that....

Old 04-23-2010, 02:53 PM
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Nuke
I've noticed my G35 does not handle as well with the VDC on. I think it is preventing any oversteer even during normal driving.

I also hate the braking/throttle cut out when it engages. If I floor it or whip the car in a tight maneuver, I don't want the car deciding to kill acceleration or speed or keep the care from handling in the middle of it. If I wanted that in a car, I would have bought the biggest people hauler with the smallest turbocharged engine I could find.
You can whine and bitch about it all you want, but there is this little button to the left and down a little bit labeled "VDC Off"

Guess what it does?

lol.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 83 Likes on 51 Posts
yea it seems everyone has had somewhat the same issue, ive come from audis and vw's where the tcs is totally different and a lot smoother. In those cars there was a way to change it where u start the car and it starts with it off. Not sure if there is a mod like that for us but that'd be pretty cool for those of you that turn it off all the time. But its nice to hear it actually has worked and saved accidents/lives. Ill keep mine on. i usually do turn it off when i dont want to get embarrased tho. hahaha. Ill have a girl in the car and all of the sudden "eeerrrat" wtf was that? I wasnt even going super fast.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: VDC supposed to scare the ***t out of you?