G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Question about polishing the g

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about polishing the g

i was wondering i was wanting to polish my G and wanted to know do i need the whole electric buffer and all or can i put the polish on a shammy or a cloth and do it that way Thanks

Old 05-12-2010, 12:32 PM
From now on please post these questions in the "Care and Detailing" section. I assume you mean waxing? You would polish chrome, not a car. A buffer would help but it isn't necessary...just put the wax on, use some elbow grease while rubbing it into the car, then a minute later taking the wax off with a clean cloth.

Magic.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:55 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
MyGfaster1, you can listen to everyone's opinions but the facts are to maintain your painted surface we all need professional assistance. Check out www.griotsgarage.com, he sells a kit with clay/cleaners/buffer/polish that will maintain your painted surface better than new for as long as your drive a car. Included is a vid that shows how to complete the process so you'll never have to ask these questions again....
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 05-12-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM
Was going to chime in here, but since you are asking questions like this you should probably just hire someone.

By the way, you can (and should) polish a car.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Originally Posted by baksdak
Was going to chime in here, but since you are asking questions like this you should probably just hire someone.By the way, you can (and should) polish a car.
TRUE!
For the cost of having someone polish your G you can buy the kit I suggested so you'll be able to DIY for years to come. The best part is you get a high for accomplishing this task yourself when you stand back and look at your completed job....that makes it fun!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 05-12-2010 at 01:48 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
TRUE!
For the cost of having someone polish your G you can buy the kit I suggested so you'll be able to DIY for years to come. The best part is you get a high for accomplishing this task yourself when you stand back and look at your completed job....that makes it fun!
Gary
Being one that has bought kits, I can agree with your thinking. I was just a little concerned about the lack of experience the OP has. Not trying to rain on any parade, BUT to achieve a good correction on swirls and the like you need some pretty intense compounds and pads. With these you can cause damage to the paint.

Maybe I am tainted, because now a simple wax does not make me happy, I have to go through the 1-2 day multiple step process.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
^ I'm the same way! It takes me 2 days to properly give my car a full detail. I seriously hate doing it cause it ends up killing my back and arms lol, but in the end, it's well worth seeing the mirror-like finish.

If I were you OP, it'd just start off the shelf waxes/polishes (Mothers, Meguires) from any store. Then after a lot of reading and practice, move on up to electrical buffers and higher quality products. I use mostly Menzerna products with a Porter Cable 7424 buffer myself. Oh, and always try to use microfiber cloths, so as not to scratch up your car.

Old 05-12-2010, 02:35 PM
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
everything
If youre a newb to polishing/buffing go get a body panel from a junk yard and practice on that. People can really screw their paint up if they dont know wtf theyre doing

Old 05-12-2010, 04:21 PM
It's so easy a caveman could do it....=)

Originally Posted by baksdak
Being one that has bought kits, I can agree with your thinking. I was just a little concerned about the lack of experience the OP has. Not trying to rain on any parade, BUT to achieve a good correction on swirls and the like you need some pretty intense compounds and pads. With these you can cause damage to the paint.
Maybe I am tainted, because now a simple wax does not make me happy, I have to go through the 1-2 day multiple step process.
Griot's kit comes with a video/book, it's literally impossible to screw it up unless you're a retard dork! (then you shouldn't be driving) I wash/clay/clean and wax my coupe in 5 hours and that's with tunes/breaks/lunch. I'm not in a rush because to me it's all about the results. I don't use his final wax because the Zymol concourse wax I use if far superior to anything else on the market. That's why I named my Twilight Blue G35 "SLICK" because she is....
Gary

Old 05-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
I agree with gary c it really is worthwhile to learn to detail if you really want your car to have the shine that can only be achieved with proper detailing. Yes you can pay someone but he really doesn't care about your car he's into it for the bucks. Everytime you wash and dry or quick detail your car you are putting scratches in the paint. They are so fine that at first you won't even notice but over time it will start to look like a very light haze. (micromarring) Then you have to pay someone again to bring the shine back. If you learn to do it yourself you can do light polishing touchups between full details and keep your paint looking perfect. Trust me I know...I own a 2003 OB coupe.
Infiniti Obsidian black paint is one of the softest clearcoat paints out there and damn near impossible to keep swirl free. Pro Detailers love it because they can make big bucks on them but they have also posted on detailing forums that they would never own one. Yes, mine is swirl free because I learned to detail properly. There are a bunch of Detailing sites out there and these guys are fanatics...lots of good info.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by vipers
You would polish chrome, not a car.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:45 PM
9i have a subscription to griots and its a fabulass mag, all the car collector needs for the do it yourself type of days...good call on the griots

Old 05-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by vipers
From now on please post these questions in the "Care and Detailing" section. I assume you mean waxing? You would polish chrome, not a car. A buffer would help but it isn't necessary...just put the wax on, use some elbow grease while rubbing it into the car, then a minute later taking the wax off with a clean cloth.

Magic.
Actually, the shine comes from polishing the paint to a high gloss not the wax or sealant. Wax adds to the shine but mainly protects the paint. On my OB i use a sealant (2 coats} and then a pure carnuba wax with no additives for depth. I use a carnuba wax based QD for touchups.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:16 AM
ok thanks for all that, and sorry for posting in wrong section. Really what i was trying to ask was can i just use a cloth to polish my car(not wax) i know how to wax a car properly. i am just wondering if i can just use a cloth or go spend major money on a damn buffer. thanks

Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 AM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Yes you can polish by hand with an applicator, and then buff it off with a microfiber cloth. But an electric buffer is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay easier .

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question about polishing the g