G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Oil consumption question (yes I searched first)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 02:45 PM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Oil consumption question (yes I searched first)

I just had a couple quick questions about oil consumption for our cars... Yes I used search and spent hours reading through existing threads to see if I can find the answers to my question, but I couldn't.

I have a 2006 6MT coupe that's driven very lightly (currently at 23,000 miles). I do know for a fact that it has an oil consumption issue, but not at the rate where it would require a new block... I last changed my oil less than 5 months, 3500 miles ago (synthetic oil) and I just picked up 5 new quarts of Castrol Syntec and I'm about to do another change. Right now it's about 3/4 quarts low from the last oil change, so I'm wondering a couple things:

1. Does the fact that it's not driven much impact the oil consumption? It's driven on average 3 days a week for about 20miles (freeway) a day and the occasional extra cruise around town to malls and stuff. So, I guess what I'm trying to find out is if I drive it more frequently (i.e every day for longer periods of times, city roads, etc), will it burn more oil? I know it doesn't fall in the 1 qt. / 1000 mile guideline currently, but I'm afraid it's because of how infrequent I drive the car...

2. Does the oil consumption problem develop or become more severe at a later point in time? I'm afraid at the rate I drive the car, it'll won't even reach 30k miles before the warranty is up and if it becomes a problem at like 40k miles or something, I'll be screwed. Since I do know that it burns oil at a slower pace, I'm pretty scared that it'll become worse as the car gets older.

I pretty much baby the car like none other. I do occasionally do some launches and high speed driving like I should in a car like this, but normally I shift 2.5-3k and hold it at 70mph on the freeway. Does driving more aggressively burn the oil significantly faster? It would seem logical that it would, but just making sure =).

Thanks to whoever answers these questions, I know there are 29384723 posts on oil consumption, but I DID SEARCH and I can spend another entire week looking through each one and not find what I'm looking for (since most posts are just "I have oil consumption I think, I'm gonna take it to the dealer and see what they say" and "Yup, they gave me a new engine. Happy day!" or "Stupid dealership is trying to screw me" and "Please update us on what happens!"). The closest Infiniti dealer to me is over 100 miles away across state lines so I wanna be pretty sure that I have a problem before I take it there.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:06 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Mileage or how many times a week you drive your G has very little to do with OC! It's all about Nissans poor quality piston rings and they're aware of the issue. Take your G35 to Infiniti to start the OC test, they'll replace your shortblock if you're using more than 1 QT every 1K miles. Don't let anyone tell you that's normal for our cars.... Although I don't have a REVUP motor I use zero oil between changes.
Gary

Old 05-31-2010, 03:10 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Yeah def get it checked out just to make sure, never can be too careful.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Well like I said so far after 3500 miles, it's only 3/4 quart down...

I guess if worse comes to worst I can take it down.. There's still a couple years left on warranty but it's still an unsettling thought at the back of my mind.

I hear Elk Grove in Sacramento area is pretty good when it comes to good service and somewhat mod-friendly? Can someone second this?

Old 06-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well after around 3k i would expect to lose some in oil in most cars. i use full synthetic and change it every 3-4. i dont use any oils but i know my suv needs a top off before its time. some cars are just that way. but i’d have nissan run OC test if it becomes more than half a quart after 3k. my buddy just got his new crated engine in his. but his was using 1.25 quarts every thousand. good luck to you tho.

Old 06-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the oil consumption issue was only for the 2005 6MTs with the Rev-Up. I am not sure if it affects the 2006+ models.

If it does, then get the test. I had mine replaced, but it was burning oil to the point the low oil light was coming on at 2,000 miles after an oil change.