G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Requirements for picking up a used car in Texas help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Requirements for picking up a used car in Texas help.

So finally I will be able to pick up my 05 g35 6mt from Austin this weekend. SOOOO Happpy.

What is required that I have on my part to drive this car back to Dallas?
Do I need to acquire paper plates? And if so, how do I go about getting these?

He drew up a purchase buying paper already and will give me a copy on pickup, along with the title to the car.

I've been looking up this stuff on the internet, but each site I go to is so convoluted with information that doesn't answer my questions.

Just to note again, I am driving the car from Austin, TX to Dallas, TX.

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I can't wait to get back into a G35 after a little over a month!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i bought a car in ft. hood area a few years back i got a temporary driving permit thing it was a sticker to put on the window until i got home. and got everything taken care of it was good for 7 days. dont know if that helps was called a temporary trip somethin-or-other

Old 06-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Check with the DPS to see what the requirements are. I wish I knew.

You might want to have it insured before you pick it up as well. That way if you have an issue on the way back to Plano you'll be covered.

Old 06-09-2010, 06:32 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
+1 on blue crazy there.

Usually a phone call to your insurance company is all that's needed.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:52 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Received 430 Likes on 278 Posts
Itasha Coupe
I bought my car from a Private Owner in Houston and I can walk you through the process of what you can do.

So long as the registration and inspection stickers are up to date on the window, then you should have no problem driving the car back to Dallas from Austin. Also, you do not need to acquire paper plates at all. Once he hands over the title to you and signs it over to you with the appropriate mileage, then the car is basically yours. Of course you'd have to pay him as well, that's a given. Make sure that he does fill out a Bill of Sale and that you get that copy from him, because you will need it when you take it to the courthouse to transfer the title into your name.

However, seeing as how you live in Dallas and he is in Austin, you need to bring the following form for him to sign and fill out. It's called a "Form 130-U." This is what you will take to your local courthouse or whatever to have the title transferred to your name. Its also where you will have to pay taxes as well. You can find the link to that information here:

http://www.dmv.org/tx-texas/title-tr...ying_a_Vehicle

I would highly suggest you print that form out and have him fill out his information before you leave with your awesome new ride and take the trip back to Dallas.

Once you take the form to the courthouse, present them the Bill of Sale and title, you will pay taxes for the amount that you paid for the vehicle. They will take the title from you and send you a new title in the mail which you will receive in about 2 weeks or so. They will also give you a new registration sticker there as well, so you'll be good to go with that.

Just remember that you have 30 days within purchase of the vehicle, as in the date that is written on the title when he signs the car over to you, or you will be fined when you try to transfer the title over. Also, if you happen to get pulled over after the 30 days without transferring the title over, you will also be cited and fined as well.

If you have anymore questions, just feel free to PM me and I'll try to help you as best I can. I hope this information helps you.

Congratulations on your new car!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:33 PM
gck
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
call Chuck Norris he ought to know! LMAO!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Dude, konxeptionz!

Every piece of information I wondered about this process was answered by you. I appreciate it bro!

And thanks for everyone else's help too.

My 03 IP G35 AT will finally be replaced by the new 05 DG G35 6MT after a month of waiting and being a carless bum!!!!!

Old 06-09-2010, 11:28 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Itasha Coupe
I'm glad I could help you on this whole process. It sucked for me because I had to do a lot of research on what I had to do to get this title transferred over. I wish there was someone who could have helped me do it, and seeing as how you are in the same situation I was in February, then I'm happy I could point you in the right direction. Just make sure you pay it forward if anyone else has this problem when buying from a private owner in the State of Texas.

There is one thing that I forgot to add about that Form 130-U. Remember that he does have to sign that document. There is a block on there for him to fill out and he needs to sign it, or you're taking a trip back to Austin just to have him sign a stupid piece of paper. I also forgot to add that the courthouse will also transfer his plates into your name, hence why you won't need the paper plates as well.

Enjoy your car! I have an 05 DG 5AT, so your choice in color is excellent! Post some images when you pick it up.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:45 PM
Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
i got my g35 in austin but it was at a dealership and brought it back to sa

Old 06-10-2010, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the caveat konxeptionz. I'm REALLY glad you told me that because after he sells me this car, he will be travelling around the country, then moving to Korea! lol. I would be SOL.

Thank you thank you thank you.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:16 PM
XiN
Supersonic... Hypertonic

Itasha Coupe
Sure, I'm happy to help.

Korea! Nice, I was stationed there for a year. I was in the Won-Ju area and sometimes I'd venture to Seoul to do some shopping and hit up the nightclubs and mingle with the.. ahem.. Korean girls.

Where are you going to be at?

Old 06-11-2010, 02:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
make sure you show up at G35 meeting in dallas. just joking

Old 06-11-2010, 09:29 AM
konxeptionz: I'm not moving to Korea. My friend is. That is why he is selling his car to me. Got a EE job there with Samsung. I live in Plano, but will be moving to The Colony next month.

G35 REDLINE: Yea man, I'm def. gonna make it out to some of your meets. I went to one in the Saigon Mall when I had my first G35.