G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

My First Clutch Replacement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 02:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My First Clutch Replacement

Just to give everyone a heads up, i am not promoting z1 motorsports. i am just writing about my experience with their clutch.

So about 2 months ago i bought a mild performance clutch from z1 motorsports because my clutch started rattling and was getting really soft. and i finally changed the clutch last week and wanted to write about it since i have yet to see a review.

So compared to the stock clutch's pressure plate, the z1 pressure plate was a lot simpler. the stock clutch has two sets of springs, the pressure plate's springs and a little set that's on top that i am guessing is used to just make the engagement smoother along with the dual mass. the z1 pressure plate looked simple, but decent. the disc and throwout bearing looked just like stock one, so there wasn't much to it.

After everything was installed, i took my G for a test drive and noticed it was jerking when i would engage into first gear, which is what i expected since i didn't resurface the flywheel. since then the engagement has been getting smoother every time i drive it. so hopefully that gets smooth with time.

Now to the actual clutch. the clutch feels great! the pedal is a little bit more springy than before but i like it. it engages at about the same place. and the grab is really strong, i feel a synchronization between my engine and myself, and when i shift i can feel the clutch just lock itself and promising it's not letting go. since the pedal feels like it wants to shoot itself out it engages a lot quicker than before.

This was my first time changing a clutch and i must say it was a great experience, a tough one, but a great one. not only do you learn a lot about your car, but once everything is finished you tend to have a sense of pride within yourself knowing that you did it yourself.

Old 06-28-2010, 08:21 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nice bro, how long did that job take you? what was the toughest part?

Old 06-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Originally Posted by coreydee
nice bro, how long did that job take you? what was the toughest part?
It took about 5 to 6 hours to fully complete it. And for the toughest part, it was probably unbolting the transmission from the engine. There are some bolts that are somewhat hard to get to. Its really not that hard, they're just a lot of little steps that gets very time consumming.

Old 06-28-2010, 03:34 PM
Originally Posted by Inter_America
Its really not that hard, they're just a lot of little steps that gets very time consumming.
That pretty much sums up all mechanical maintenance on cars....

Old 06-28-2010, 03:37 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I gotta ask though. While you were in there, why didn't you switch out the flywheel also?

Old 06-28-2010, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by Shakuya88
I gotta ask though. While you were in there, why didn't you switch out the flywheel also?
i would have, but my dad didn't want to buy a new one or get the one we had resurfaced. so it wasn't really up to me.