G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

triptronic question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
triptronic question

Hi everyone

I noticed this weird behavior in my 04 coupe today, and I would like to ask if anyone has the same issue. I don't use triptronic very often but here's what I experienced today.

So I was driving slowly and decided to switch from D to M (triptronic showed gear 2 instantly, and yes it felt like I was in 2nd gear when I was in D) and the car jerked and knocked. It wasn't that BAD, but then I wanted to replicate the issue and drove even slower (maybe 10 km/h) on D switching to M (showed gear 1 instantly this time) and car jerked and knocked pretty badly.

As far as I can feel, there are no other issues with my transmission, changing from D to Triptronic in gears 3 and 4 is very smooth, and switching from M to D is smooth at all gears. I have no issues up shifting, however car jerks if I shift from 3 to 2 to 2 to 1 (I read that others experience same issue on this forum and others advised to let the car downshift automatically)

So the issue is switching from D to M at low speeds

Any input really appreciated

Regards

Last edited by krypton; 07-15-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Last edited by g35sweetness; 08-04-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-15-2010, 07:48 PM
A32
however car jerks if I shift from 3 to 2 to 2 to 1 (I read that others experience same issue on this forum and others advised to let the car downshift automatically)
you're probably downshifting at too high of a speed therefore it jerks.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally Posted by g35sweetness
How about a transmission fluid change - when you'd done that and you may try that first if you're really high mileage.

87k kilometers and I don't know if and when it was done last time

Old 07-15-2010, 08:17 PM
Update: I just went to test again, and it doesn't happen all the time. For example if i just roll in D and switch to T(triptronic, 1st gear) or press gas lightly and switch to T it's very smooth.

It happens randomly and almost feels like car is in 2nd, but when I switch to T it downshifts to 1st gear and jerks OR car is in 3rd when in D, but if I switch to T it downshifts to 2nd and jerks.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
What do you mean by knocked? Was it engine knock or was the sound related to the jerking motion? Tiptronic is meant to simulate a manual transmission that means it's to be used to accelerate to the redline to downshift when you want to accelerate or to engine brake. I do not recommend shifting into first gear when your engine braking when you come to a stop the trans will shift into 1st gear. If you truely want to use triptronic effectively I suggest you get a SprintBooster (search SprintBooster) or have a valve body rebuild on your transmission(expensive but highly effective). I believe the problem you are encountering is related to misuse of Tiptronic.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
What do you mean by knocked? Was it engine knock or was the sound related to the jerking motion? Tiptronic is meant to simulate a manual transmission that means it's to be used to accelerate to the redline to downshift when you want to accelerate or to engine brake. I do not recommend shifting into first gear when your engine braking when you come to a stop the trans will shift into 1st gear. If you truely want to use triptronic effectively I suggest you get a SprintBooster (search SprintBooster) or have a valve body rebuild on your transmission(expensive but highly effective). I believe the problem you are encountering is related to misuse of Tiptronic.
The knock is related to jerking motion, not engine. The thing is, i neither upshift or downshift. All I do is switch from D to M at very low speed.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:22 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I dont switch to and from tiptronic unless im completely stopped.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by A32
you're probably downshifting at too high of a speed therefore it jerks.
That is def the problem. When going from 3 to 2, downshift at 20 or less(I usually do it around 15) and then 10 or less for 1st. It will usually shift into first for you. If its the jerking feeling that is def your problem, although changing your transmission fluid wouldn't hurt...

Old 07-15-2010, 11:14 PM
I can't imagine leaving the car in D all the time lol. I always have it in triptronic, unless I'm eating

Old 07-15-2010, 11:58 PM
I read somewhere that if you are cruising in D and shift to M, it downshifts a gear. maybe this is the case?

Old 07-16-2010, 12:10 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by krypton
The knock is related to jerking motion, not engine. The thing is, i neither upshift or downshift. All I do is switch from D to M at very low speed.
Yes, when you're shifting at low speed from Drive to Manual you're dropping it in first gear. From the reaction of your car when doing so it's telling you, "it doesn't like you doing that!" So don't!
Gary

Old 07-16-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Yes, when you're shifting at low speed from Drive to Manual you're dropping it in first gear. From the reaction of your car when doing so it's telling you, "it doesn't like you doing that!" So don't!
Gary
okay, I just had a feeling that it was in first gear already. I guess it's possible that it is in 2nd gear and it's hard to tell. I thought that shifting to M matches the gear anyways

Last edited by krypton; 07-16-2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by krypton
okay, I just had a feeling that it was in first gear already. I guess it's possible that it is in 2nd gear and it's hard to tell. I thought that shifting to M matches the gear anyways
I doubt it, you're looking at D and at lower RPMs it's going to downshift on it's own so when you drop it in Manual it's going into first gear and your G35 isn't happy. I use the Manual on the street and when I hit the freeway I leave it in Drive. Don't think I've ever gone from D or Manual, but I've done just the opposate.... and she doesn't mind! LOL
Gary

Old 07-16-2010, 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
I doubt it, you're looking at D and at lower RPMs it's going to downshift on it's own so when you drop it in Manual it's going into first gear and your G35 isn't happy. I use the Manual on the street and when I hit the freeway I leave it in Drive. Don't think I've ever gone from D or Manual, but I've done just the opposate.... and she doesn't mind! LOL
Gary
Well, also I noticed that if you are going at highway speeds, if you shift from D to M, it always goes into 4th gear, meaning it downshifted itself from 5th to 4th. So that kind of explains it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: triptronic question