G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

My 3rd gear grinds (6mt), need oil help?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2010 | 03:40 AM
|
My 3rd gear grinds (6mt), need oil help?

So my 3rd gear grinds if i shift too fast, it is especially noticeable when the car just get start running (like first minute). I am suspecting the oil level is either not enough or bad....after search the forum, i got even more confused about choice of oil.

please tells me what would be the best option? ( i did search but got confused as some said redline, some said redline cause problem, some said royal purple, some said oem, some said lucas....etc)

Old 07-27-2010 | 03:46 AM
Wow, finally some one with the same issue, Idk what it is, i got new clutch and put redline transmission fluid, better but not gone. It has like a pattern, if i dont warm up car usually itl happen soon as i got to third gear. Crazy thing is it almost never happens more than once a day?? Please someone who knows a cure, reply. I once tried to take off my shifter and as i held the bottom part with the wrench and twisted, the whole piece twisted but then i twisted it back. I think that might have done something- but why just third. Once a month if ever, 5th gear will grind. (i know i have my clutch all the way down)

Old 07-27-2010 | 09:19 PM
|
damn ... i wonder if replace OEM transmission oil would help?

Old 07-27-2010 | 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by RiversideS13
damn ... i wonder if replace OEM transmission oil would help?
Have you ever changed the trans fluid? Replacing the OE fluid with a synthetic fluid like Red Line will help everything work smoother and your trans will run cooler. Word of warning, if your third gear syncro is bad all the fluid in the world won't change it but a fluid change is a good place to start!
Gary

Old 07-27-2010 | 10:31 PM
i have the same problem

Old 07-28-2010 | 12:30 AM
|
has anyone tried to use GM Sychromesh - Friction Modified?

Last edited by RiversideS13; 07-28-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 07-28-2010 | 09:17 AM
Nothing's going to work better than a quality synthetic fluid like Red Line or AMSOIL!
Gary

Old 07-28-2010 | 11:05 AM
So no one knows what could be causing this problem? (i changed oil and clutch, i just dont want it to get any worse and have the transmission go bad)

Old 07-28-2010 | 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Nothing's going to work better than a quality synthetic fluid like Red Line or AMSOIL!
Gary
I respectfully disagree with you Gary. The GM Sychromesh FM is maybe the best manual transmission fluid there is. Having experimented many brands in my previous car that was raced and auto crossed on a regular basis, NOTHING was better than the Sychromesh FM.

Old 07-28-2010 | 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by welery
I respectfully disagree with you Gary. The GM Sychromesh FM is maybe the best manual transmission fluid there is. Having experimented many brands in my previous car that was raced and auto crossed on a regular basis, NOTHING was better than the Sychromesh FM.
Well welery, that's why they make Fords/Chevys everyone has a different opinion. I've been using synthetics since I tracked my BRE 510 at Riverside Raceway in the early to mid '70s and never had a problem with my engine or trans. At that time synthetics were somewhat expermintal and not available to the gereral public. I drove to and from the track with my son in the backseat watching for the CHP....good times.
Gary

Old 07-28-2010 | 01:18 PM
E_K
From: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Just my experience, my 3rd gear would also grind rarely when it was cold. Changed the fluid to Redline, and it did it 50% less often. Then I installed one of those ebay engine dampeners, and it hasn't grinded a gear for over a year.

Old 07-28-2010 | 02:53 PM
when shifting try jus give it a nudge and guide it and let it go into the gear itself instead of man handling the shifter and putting it into gear on ur own. i kno sound weird but try it. works for me. but seems like the shifter had to go a certain way into gear for it to be smooth

Old 07-28-2010 | 04:26 PM
|
well when it is cold, i can go in 3rd without grinding if i shift very slowly (2 sec). once it warm up, i can go in without any problem... i think i am going to try amsoil

Old 07-29-2010 | 01:52 AM
I had same problem except mine was 5th gear. I did a lot of research and I finally decided to replace the transmission and the differential oil with Amsoil. To this day I don't regret my choice. Just when I changed it the gears started to shift twice as smooth. Then the next day no more gear grinding ever. So I would recommend going with Amsoil. I was recommended the oem Nissan by some members here but I went against it and no regrets.

Old 07-29-2010 | 02:24 AM
|
eh looks like i found a solution at other car forum!
http://www.gencoupe.com/2-0t/38853-r...ear-grind.html

this is a quote from "Wildbill" from genesis forum, page 3 of above link

"***Update Redux***

So, I contacted Redline Oil today to get some clarification. Yes, their Shockproof gear oils are essentially rated as a GL-5, however the tech on the phone stated that each companies blend is different and as such theirs was not corrosive to soft metals. So, the rating is more about the viscosity grade than the sulfur content. That being said, he stated that for the tranny and LSD due to the OEM specs, customers should consider the MTL or MT-90 first. To exactly meet the oem GL-4 75W85, you should do a half to half mix of both MTL and MT-90 or as close to it as possible.

If you still are exibiting issues or plan to mod the car to much higher torque and HP, you may consider upgrading to the lightweight Shockproof. He would only recommend the Heavy Shockproof for severe issues or when the mods will be putting heavy strain on the drivetrain. To understand his point, he says that most of the customers that use the Heavy Shockproof are drag racing or racing specific vehicles and rarely daily drivers. He stated this would also help in colder start conditions. It is not because the Shockproof will damage the car in anyway, just that it may be overkill and even cause too much slippage during gear shifts. I personally have not run into this running straight Heavy Shockproof in my tranny and LSD, but something to consider."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My 3rd gear grinds (6mt), need oil help?