G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need Help Finding/Deciding On An Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by grovefromnh
What year(s) vette has that catchcan?
the part I'm getting was an aftermarket accessory made for the vette (as far as I know it was never implemented as a stock part) .. the reason the can works is due to the mount, size, shape and other members finding a fantastic place to mount it

Old 08-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I don't see any reason to remove the ground strap but I'm no expert.
yeah I didn't really see a reason either since I'm not playing with any electrical objects .. obviously the car will be off so I don't see how there would be a vacuum or anything that would give me issues .. I'm hoping it's just as simple as mount, hook up and enjoy .. I'm going to get the black vette can and try it in the "known" place that it works .. then I may try routing the hoses so that I can mount it somewhere on my front bumper reinforcement for a more stealth install (only installing it there when I add some sort of oil level sight to the can) .. I wish I knew for sure if I had to remove grounds LOL .. that would suck spending $150 on a can and chrome fittings only to eff up from that one part

Old 10-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can someone provide a link for this vette catch can?

Old 10-09-2010, 09:27 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
^ Go here: http://www.customcorvetteaccessories...lcatchcan.html
You don't want the C6 one.

And in general to all...that's me below for the record btw:

I added a sight tube....easy retrofit if you're mechanically inclined and know how to dill and tap metal...

Look at this thread (I'm 06CPV35 over there): http://my350z.com/forum/engine-drive...n-diy-pix.html
You'll see mine on post #38 and another members on post #27. OP took his pix down, why...

It may cost some $$, but it looks really nice in my engine bay imho. It also has proven many benefits in my cc's since being in service for over 10K miles. The savvy peeps who understand internal combustion and what a closed PCV system does with excessive (proven lousy VQ35DE pcv valve-cover design) blow-by over time will know exactly what I'm talking about

Some peeps go for only semi-function with that DIY home depot/lowes air compressor cheap canister thing. Well when I open my hood, I like peeps to say oh that looks nice, rather than WTF is that air compressor moisture thing for lol....

Anyhoo...my 02...

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 10-10-2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Correction: don't get C6 one.
Old 10-10-2010, 10:39 AM
That's great thank you. I like how it actually has some internal parts than just a tin can welded together! How did you know where to drill without hitting any of the mesh inside

Just to clarify, you bought the C6 because of the pre-bent bracket? Gonna have to order a blue one as well...black will look too boring

Old 10-10-2010, 11:11 AM
i actually have two cans. one is tucked behind the power steering reservoir and the other on the other side of the bay. this was dressed and uses polished hard pipes. they work great and add some dress to the engine bay.

Old 10-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Do you have a picture of your engine bay? I'm trying to figure how you mouted the driver's side. Also, do you find the driver's side fills up very much compared to the passenger's? Thanks!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can easily make a catch can . My last ones was a cambells soup can with a few fittings . cost me 1.00

Old 10-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
6MT Coupe
Originally Posted by msommers
That's great thank you. I like how it actually has some internal parts than just a tin can welded together! How did you know where to drill without hitting any of the mesh inside

Just to clarify, you bought the C6 because of the pre-bent bracket? Gonna have to order a blue one as well...black will look too boring
The top and bottom unscrew so you won't hit upper internals. Plus can clean the shavings out after dilling/tapping.

No you don't want pre-bent bracket one. OP on my350z thread said don't get C6 one, my bad Going to edit my post about that.

They also have chrome, black chrome and CF. Poke around their site and you'll see those too...more $$ though.

Oh...I didn't disconnect any grounding wire/straps for this install either. Kinda stratched my head on that one as why I'd need to do that...so I didn't...no issues.

Last edited by V35 Skyline GT; 10-10-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:44 AM
one side deffo fills faster but that is normal. as long as you keep an eye on the level. as i have a right hand drive car my drivers side is different from yours.

Attached Thumbnails Need Help Finding/Deciding On An Oil Catch Can-350-gt-2.jpg   Need Help Finding/Deciding On An Oil Catch Can-350-gt-3.jpg  
Old 05-24-2018, 11:20 AM
I know its an old post but I am still gonna respond.

I would with the Project Import catch can, doesn't return the harmful oil vapors back into the engine. I am huge believer has helped both my G and Z with consumption and released power.

The following users liked this post:
haynV35 (12-27-2019)
Old 05-26-2018, 12:07 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
The Corvette catch can works perfectly, I've got about 40+K miles on mine! I remove the blow by oil once a year using a turkey baster (not my wife's) just because I'm a clean freak!
Don't even consider using a catch can like the one in the pic above (open unit) you need a closed catch can! Catch cans are not a "Fix All" like the vid above makes them sound, there main purpose is to keep oil residue out of your plenum...that's all!
Gary

Last edited by gary c; 05-26-2018 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:00 AM
2006 G35 2 door coupe lowered, coil-overs, 1" spacers on wheels, SpecD tuning Cat Back, CAI
Originally Posted by msommers

Anyone seen or used this brand of catch can?

Old 02-11-2019, 08:26 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I haven't seen anyone here that's used that specific can. I will say that almost all of the plastic hoses that come in catch can packages suck azz. They aren't designed to withstand the pressures in the system they're attached to, the ones I got with the NRG collapsed w/in 3 days on the car. Be prepared to buy something different, braided rubber hoses work great.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
The "Corvette catch can" works perfectly, I've got about 40+K miles on mine! I remove the blow by oil once a year using a turkey baster (not my wife's) just because I'm a clean freak!
Don't even consider using a catch can like the one in the pic above (open unit) you need a closed catch can! Catch cans are not a "Fix All" like the vid above makes them sound, there main purpose is to keep oil residue out of your plenum...that's all!
Gary
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
I haven't seen anyone here that's used that specific can. I will say that almost all of the plastic hoses that come in catch can packages suck azz. They aren't designed to withstand the pressures in the system they're attached to, the ones I got with the NRG collapsed w/in 3 days on the car. Be prepared to buy something different, braided rubber hoses work great.
You missed my recommendation Blue and yes high pressure rubber hoses are advised! Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Need Help Finding/Deciding On An Oil Catch Can