G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Need Help Finding/Deciding On An Oil Catch Can

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 02:00 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Use fuel injection hose, not to be confused with standard rubber fuel hose, injection hose is rated for 100psi and is very rigid, definitely won't collapse. It works best in straight sections and if you need to turn directions it's best to use a plastic or metal fitting. Brass barbed fittings and hose clamps work perfectly.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:02 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Also, I would cap off that vented top on the can unless you're on a forced induction motor.

Old 02-11-2019, 02:38 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
What not to buy + what you need!

To begin, you do not what a "Vented Catch Can" so buy one that's not! Best hose for our catch cans is 3/8" GATES Safety Stripe CS101206 made to last and will never burst under any conditions! Had you done a SEARCH using the word "Catch Can" this has been discussed since 2003 and I've made the same recommendation since '05!
Good Luck, enjoy the ride...Gary

The following users liked this post:
haynV35 (12-27-2019)
Old 02-12-2019, 12:56 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coupe
I came across this video and now im not sure whether to get a vented catch can or a closed one.

https://youtu.be/PqvrpciutcM

Old 02-12-2019, 07:27 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by gary c
You missed my recommendation Blue and yes high pressure rubber hoses are advised! Gary
Nope didn't miss it, just felt like it didn't need to be repeated. You feel me lol?

Old 02-14-2019, 09:37 PM
Originally Posted by G35ATL
I came across this video and now im not sure whether to get a vented catch can or a closed one.

https://youtu.be/PqvrpciutcM
If members like myself have had oil catch cans on our G35's since 2005 with good results why wouldn't you believe us? Oil catch cans remove small amounts of oil (blow by) from the intake manifold keeping it off your valves! Using a NON VENTED catch can will do the job so all you'll have in your intake manifold is air not being slowed down by a layer of oil residue! I also check/clean my PCV valve every 20K miles and have never found it to be clogged or even dirty! The way the guy in this vid mistreats his coupe, I wouldn't trust anything he says!

Gary

Old 02-15-2019, 03:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Coupe
Originally Posted by gary c
If members like myself have had oil catch cans on our G35's since 2005 with good results why wouldn't you believe us? Oil catch cans remove small amounts of oil (blow by) from the intake manifold keeping it off your valves! Using a NON VENTED catch can will do the job so all you'll have in your intake manifold is air not being slowed down by a layer of oil residue! I also check/clean my PCV valve every 20K miles and have never found it to be clogged or even dirty! The way the guy in this vid mistreats his coupe, I wouldn't trust anything he says!

Gary
I know what a catch can does and never doubted it.
​​​Ill take both your opinions and decide for myself if thats your reaction. He explained why/how to use a VENTED catch can. While you did not btw.

Old 02-16-2019, 12:30 AM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
First off you need to keep in mind that PI is trying to sell you $125 worth of equipment for the insane price of $350 so obviously they're going to hype train their product.

Secondly, there's two different types of systems, what they're selling is a PCV DELETE. In that kind of system you must have a vented can because the positive pressure needs to go SOMEWHERE and the only option is atmospheric, however the big problem with that kind of system or ANY vented system is they make a gigantic oily mess of your engine bay. It's 100% unavoidable, if you have an atmo system you are venting oily air into your engine compartment, it looks like **** and it's a huge maintenance chore keeping things clean. A catch can doesn't catch ALL the oil (since it's coming out as a vapor) it just tries to catch MOST of the oil.

Lastly, you need to decide how much vapor oil consumption is acceptable for you. If you're not boosted and tuned to the ragged edge of kaboom then sucking a little oil isn't the end of the world, adding a catch can to the existing PCV system is perfectly fine and will catch some of the oil that would otherwise be ingested. If you are boosted and tuned to the ragged edge of kabooming the motor then yes you don't want ANY OIL WHATSOEVER getting into the combustion chamber because it could cost you the motor, in that case you will likely delete the PCV system or use a multi-can setup if you need to be able to pass emissions inspections.

My buddies 900whp track evo has a pcv delete.
His buddies 2500whp track GTR has a pcv delete
My bolt-ons G does not
My other buddies bolt-ons vette does not
My other other buddies dad's 1200whp track '70 Nova Pro Stock has a pcv delete
My dad's 400whp '84 Monte Carlo does not

Starting to see the pattern? On a track car it doesn't matter if the engine is grimy, it's a limited use vehicle and you clean it when you're done trailering it back to your shop. Your road car you usually want to keep cleaner so you run an enclosed PCV system.

Of course the choice is yours, as long as you weigh the pro's and con's of each system.

The following users liked this post:
jparker7269 (02-22-2019)
Old 02-16-2019, 01:22 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
The man speaks true.

Motordyne claims that this is the "Oil consumption fix" which is total clickbait! The real cause of catastrophic oil consuption is crappy piston rings on the rev-up motors.... of course, if you got a good one, and your motor was healthy, this would stop the PCV system from working as designed and consuming that oil, but that amounts to a tiny fraction of what an oil burner engine blows past the rings. I have maybe a $25 setup from a couple brass fittings, injection hose, and a pneumatic water and oil separator I ordered off Amazon, filled with steel wool for more surface area. It fills up approx. every 3000 miles, and the hose immediately after it is much cleaner showing that it works well.

Last edited by cswlightning; 02-16-2019 at 01:30 AM.
Old 02-16-2019, 10:29 PM
One more time!

Originally Posted by G35ATL
I know what a catch can does and never doubted it.
​​​Ill take both your opinions and decide for myself if thats your reaction. He explained why/how to use a VENTED catch can. While you did not btw.
Try doing a SEARCH using the words "Catch Can Install!" That will show you how they work and are installed without blocking the system off, you already know everything else! I clean out/empty my catch can every two years and there's always less than a inch of blow buy oil in the can, smells and look like oil! What they show in the vid is a complete fabrication of what you'll find in your catch can!
Gary

Old 02-17-2019, 12:29 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
A lot of what determines the actual volume being caught in a properly designed can is actually how much vaporized oil is being sent into the thing.

If you keep your rpms down there is very little or no oil getting turned into a fine mist so your can will hardly ever need to be drained.

If you're running the engine at high rpms a lot though the fast rotating parts, and especially the movement of the valvetrain flings tiny splatter of oil everywhere and it atomizes a lot of it, in this case your catch can will need to be drained much more frequently.