G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Got caught speeding.. any advise?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got caught speeding.. any advise?

Yesterday night, i was caught by a State Trooper on Garden State Parkway S. He wrote down that I was doing 95 in a 55.. but there's no way i was going that fast. Don't get me wrong, i was speeding but no 95mph.. He only checked off speeding, not careless driving and the ticket does not show that i need to appear in court. My question is, do you think they will try to suspend my license for this. My boss was telling me about some new speeding law where they suspend licenses for speeding in excess of 25mph. Any advise (bsides the don't speed bullshit everyone spews) would be greatly appreciated.

2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe 6MT - Premium ]| Aero |[ Bose ]| Z-Tube |[
2003.5 Infiniti G35 Sedan 5AT - Premium ]| AeroKit |[ Spoiler ]|

Best of both worlds

Old 10-08-2004, 07:02 AM
G (enie) FUNK ERA
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Got caught speeding.. any advise?

I got caught couple of years ago going 77 in a 50mph zone (>25).
It was in CT and the laws might be different but I didn't get my license suspended.
He wrote me a ticket for $325 - I plead not guilty, appeared to court, saw the prosecutor who
agreed to "sweeten" the fine down to $250.
I don't know about your license being suspended (might be a possibility since you were going 40 over the limit),
but I think if you're license should have been suspended, you probably would have lost it right there on the spot by the cop.
As far as appearing to court.... look up the reverse side of the ticket - if you plea not guilty, you will probably need to appear.
If you want, you can pay the fine (not recommended) and forget about the whole thing, or just plea not guilty, send the ticket in
get a good lawyer and appear in court - with the aid of a good lawyer, you might be able to get out of it.

Good luck.

MY G-ENIE

Old 10-08-2004, 08:27 AM

95 in a 55 is bad news.... Depending on how the judge feels they might suspend you. But in all seriousness I wouldnt worry bout the points/fine ... worry bout how your insuance Company is going to raise your rates big time.... A friend of mine got a 30+ ticket and his insurance tripled.

My personal advice on this one would be to postpone the trial date as much as possible. In NY u can postpone the date like 3 times and if the cop dont show up to court the ticket is then dropped, Dont know how NJ does it but regardless im sure its similar.

Good Luck!

Old 10-08-2004, 10:24 AM
EZZ
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a friend do 100 in a 65mph zone...he went to court and admitted speeding but NOT at 100mph. The judge reduced the speed and he paid less.

04 Coupe Auto/DG/Prem/Nav/Perf

Old 10-08-2004, 02:38 PM

you dont have to show in court? i got busted for 33 over on pip and have to show.

Old 10-08-2004, 03:03 PM

xlacrosse, ot but i have to tell you, you are single handedly responsible in me making my final decision to get the greddy bumper. that pic is so f---in hot. how is the daily driveability of it??

Old 10-08-2004, 07:07 PM

First off, I wouldn't hire a lawyer. All you're gonna do is pay them to look pretty standing next to you in court.

I don't know how much the traffic laws vary from state to state, but in CA, you'll need to get 4 points on your record in one year to have your license suspended. Going over 40 mph over the speed limit, exhibition of speed (peeling out at a stop) or going over 100 mph will get you a 2 point ticket. Multiple offenses on the same citation will not give you additional points. I.E. Getting caught going 100 mph in a 55mph, will get you only 2 points, not 4.

I got caught doing 103 mph in a 65. I consider it lucky cause I was really going 125 when my radar detector went off. I hit my brakes and he caught me at 103. The cop even showed me the speed on his radar.

If you chose to fight it, there's a 250% pentaly assessment fee in CA if you lose. So if the cop shows up, your $150 ticket will turn into $525.

On the brighter side, you are able to go to traffic school multiple times. There's a big conspiracy about it, but in CA, you can go to traffic school more than once in an 18 month period. You will have to see the judge and ask him/her for "Repeat Offender Traffic School." The judge will often deny it exisits or throw in, "You can go, but it might not count." It will count, and you may go multiple times. You just need to stand your ground and keeping asking. Most of the time, they'll act frustrated w/ you, and have you sit to the side. Then after they clear a few cases, they'll come back to you and offer it to you. They just want to keep the repeat offender traffic school low key. I know this works cause I got 3 tickets in 6 weeks. I went to traffic school for the first two and didn't know I could go again for the 3rd one. It is possible and you can go more than once in an 18 month period.

Old 10-09-2004, 02:57 AM

Nismo, i wish thats the case in jersey...i think 40mph over the limit is like 5 or 6 points.

Old 10-10-2004, 01:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The point systems differ from state to state. Some require like 18 points or something befoire they suspend you rlicesne. But moving violations in those states are worth more points(4-6 or something like that). It, for the most part, balances out.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:03 AM

Get a lawyer ... and a valentine one radar. In the long run, they will be cheaper (avoids insurance hike) and less risky.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:40 PM

i live in nj and take the gsp every day. have also had my share of traffic violations. usually you can go to court and they reduce them. 4 pts to 2. 2pts to 0, etc...

95, the prosecutor and judge will be pissed. get a lawyer. one who knows the prosecutor. he will get ticket reduced to no points. however you will pay fine. they cut you a break because they know lawyer costs you enough money.

good luck, drive safely, get a pba card

04 6mtC, DG - possibly most babied G on the board.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:42 PM

hey, i got caught doing 84 in a 50 on the pip... what do you think?

Old 10-12-2004, 07:14 AM

I was caught doing 88 in a 50 years ago when I didn't even have my license. My friend was a courier and we were heading to CT & he was tired as hell, so he wanted me to drive.

We played like my friend was sick & the trooper was a decent guy. Since I was out of state (Bedford, NY), all I received was a $380 ticket. I sent it in the mail and was done with it. I'm not sure what happens if you get caught in state as I've never been caught speeding around here...but I'm pretty sure you're screwed. I think anything like 35 mph over the limit is considered vehicular manslaughter or something. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2004, 12:38 PM

screwed? manslaughter? i didnt kill anyone.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Got caught speeding.. any advise?