G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Kinetix Plenum Quality / High Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 03:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Kinetix Plenum Quality / High Flow Cats

Infinitifanatik, you said it best "in my own little happy world".
When you were refering to the design of the G and said "tested and designed for a reason by the folks over there at Nissan " didn't you mean Infiniti?
If you were "informed when it comes to mods" you would understand what Neffster is trying to get across to you.
Please quit typing APC thats APS, sorry but that was starting to get on my nerves.

Old 10-12-2004, 03:28 PM

At the risk of straying OT again, I have to say that perhaps you "knowing the facts" on the origin of your G35 wasn't as clear as you think it might be. Personally, I would have let your sig go without much thought about it. It was your response to neff where you compared the G35 to the 350Z (instead of using the 350GT as your Nissan reference) that made me think that you truly didn't know what's what. You didn't exactly say anything that would have made me think otherwise either.

Sorry. I took your feigning of ignorance as the genuine article. lol

There are those people driving the G35 coupe that have no idea that they are essentially driving a Nissan Skyline and they wouldn't appreciate having the status and prestige of their Infiniti downgraded by the Nissan name. To me, these people are ignorant fools concerned more with percieved societal status than the performance of their sports car. As I said, I took your sarcastic assertion as your true belief and lumped you into this group. Sorry for the mistake, but looking back at your posts it's an entirely honest mistake to make.

'05 IP(or ?) 6MT... ...Never too soon to think about modifications!!

Old 10-12-2004, 04:41 PM

It’s questions and statements like this that lead people to believe you have no idea what you are talking about… <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the cats yield 5-10hp, and the y-pipes offer another 5hp or so...so for around 500 bux, i can expect appx 10-20hp?…

<hr></blockquote> Let’s see, cats and Y-Pipe, 20hp, NOPE.
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

…Then add plenum for another $400 for another 8-9hp (17-20 at redline)...So for less than a thousand, were talking 27-40hp total hp increase?!?!…

<hr></blockquote> Let’s see, cats, Y-Pipe and Plenum, 40hp, NOPE.

…probably get more total HP than FI if you add z-tube, CAI, and pulleys... or am i mistaken?

<hr></blockquote> Let’s see, cats, Y-Pipe, Plenum, CAI and pulleys, more hp than the Vortec S/C that yields 130rwhp or ~160bhp, NOPE.

As far as HP gains, there really are two different camps of people...the ones like neffster who say that it doesnt really make a noticable HP or butt-meter difference,…

<hr></blockquote> I wonder how you ever got to that conclusion/delusion? See the link I posted above...

Well I was just simply adding up the HP, and comparing that to the appx 50hp or so you get from a "safe" FI setup...

<hr></blockquote> Safe FI setup? The Stillen S/C, Stage I will yield close to 300rwhp. That is up to about 70rwhp (or ~80bhp) from stock. That is the weakest aftermarket S/C that is made for our cars. Where did you get approx. 50hp?

…things that were obviously tested and designed a certain way for a reason by the folks over there at nissan...

<hr></blockquote> Now I’m confused. I thought it wasn’t a Nissan???

…not to argue with you, esp since your experience with the bolt ons are in the minority compared to what other people have been saying…

<hr></blockquote> How the heck did you come to this conclusion/delusion?

And I came to the conclusion because what you said was that unless I put in ALL the parts together, I wouldn't experience a noticable gain, when I must have read thousands of posts that the y-pipe, cats, intake and plenum, all added independently have added enough performance (and sound gains) to put smiles on nearly everyones faces...

<hr></blockquote> The sound of the Z-Tube will put a smile across your face, but it will not pin you back in your seat. Neither will only a y-pipe or only the cats or only the plenum. Add them all together and that’s a different story.

…And its not just a nissan, nissan makes a smiliar car that is MUCH less comfortable, uglier, 5 inches shorter…

<hr></blockquote> Actually the 350Z’s wheel base is 6 inches shorter, not 5 inches shorter.

...if you disagree, then I suggest you recind your membership here and go make yourself known on my350z.com....

<hr></blockquote> Well no membership being rescinded by me, however I do frequent my350z.com because there are many more informed modders over there. Especially in their FI forum, where it’s apparent you don’t hang out…

I am plenty informed when it comes to the mods…

<hr></blockquote> This one really had me scratching my head.

… In fact when I originally posted, I tried to make some conclusions that I KNEW would stimulate some discussion ((which should be VERY obvious)) to help with my (and others) decision..ie just adding up the manufacturers HP claims of these various boltons (all of us know you cant believe all that you read from them) or questioning if a few bolt ons is going to let you run with the FIs..DUH!…

<hr></blockquote> Captain Obvious himself had no clue what you were talking about.

Bigron (and neff for that matter)...what is your deal with telling me to do more "investigation" and getting my facts straight...

<hr></blockquote> We were just trying to tell you to get your facts straight.

There should have been NO reason for neff to get catty...

<hr></blockquote> This response led me to this post. You wanted catty, you’re getting catty.

It is IMPLICIT in my comment that I KNOW the "facts"...

<hr></blockquote> Really?

and in my own little happy world, I like to think I'm driving an INFINITI, not a Nissan...

<hr></blockquote> Now that makes a little more sense. … and lastly...

It ain't just a Nissan!

<hr></blockquote> Wrong again.

Well there you have it. What ever “it” is… And no, I didn’t correct your typos, I didn’t have enough free time. [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Old 10-12-2004, 04:59 PM

I think hes doing ricer math....just cuz one product is advertised to make 15hp thats when u bolt it on with out any other mods. If u have other mods the increase might not be as much. I really don't see him being to informed about anything he is talking about nor does he seem to open minded about what others are saying...soo lets just leave him alone...and let him buy the stuff and he will be happy. Its all the mind if he believes it makes his car as powerful as a car with FI then he will feel it has the same amount of go and he will be happy...until some guy with FI rapes him.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:12 PM
DED

My opinion....

Bolt ons won't get you anywhere near FI.

The G is fast enough and bolt ons are a waste of money for Hp.

They ARE worth the money for sound, looks, and bragging rights.

As for the plenum, Crawford is too expensive and ugly. Kinetix has the bar for the Z, looks stupid on a G. If you like it though, I don't think you'll have a problem with cracking unless you overtorque.

I'm waiting to see prices and results for the APS.

I advise against high flow cats. They are illegal for onroad use for a reason. And the gains aren't worth it.

2004 G35C 6MT Black. Killer.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:11 PM

InfinitiFanatic: I too am looking at getting the most out of my G and am looking at the same mods that you listed. As I am evaluating the mods, I not only am looking at the hp gains, but I also want torque gains as well. This is where neffster has provided us with a wealth of information with his Dyno Day post. Also, look at DrSifu1's CA Dyno Day post as well. These two posts in conjunction provide a lot of information regarding what these mods can deliver. I saw that some of the mods that you listed (especially the pop-charger & exhaust items) might increase hp marginally but decrease the torque. Since you are in the shopping mode on these mods I would recommend a review of those posts. I would enjoy discussing with you here in this post, your thoughts and conclusions regarding what you see the various mods delivering. That I think is the core point that you were trying to share with this post. I'd like to get this post back on track and utilize the expertise that some folks like neffster can bring to this discussion.....they spent the time dyno-testing some of these mods and I'd like to get their thought in on this as well.

Oh yeah, mine is an Infiniti, which is built by Nissan but has a much better interior and a really nice clock.......

Memphis
04 G Coupe 6MT | IP | Clear Bra | 15% Tint | Clear Corners |

Old 10-13-2004, 01:20 AM

I am not guna respond to neff cause I'd be writing a book, and I dont have the patience to proofread every word I type so that neff doesnt have a kinipsh*t...plus, EVERY reply he made in the saga he just wrote can be retorted by what I wrote previously...but I will reiterate, I used the 'fuzzy math' to get others input to help with my decision (did you read that boggie?)...oh I guess I should mention neff, I rode in a friends' G today that had the y-pipe and intake (no plenum), huge diff from mine...definitely pulls harder and sounds better...my friend is THRILLED with the upgrade...

bigron...no problem...like ya said, its not a prestige thing for me...i just really like infinitis over nissan..imho, they look better, if for any other reason...

jwg35c...Sorry about the aps thing...it was a typo, I must have gotten it confused with apc, the company that makes the UPS batteries...theres one sitting next to my computer..(and no... I know they are not the same company!)...and NO I absolutely meant nissan, NOT infiniti...I do have to give credit where credit is due

It ain't just a Nissan!

Old 10-13-2004, 01:30 AM

Memphis...thank you for that post...

At least in partial response to your question, (and as I was talking about before), I rode in a friends G today, fitted with popcharger, and y-pipe...sounds great...he has the z-tube, but prefers to leave the stock intake in place, as the stock 3-4k raspy sounds a lot better than the throatier z to him...I happen to totally agree, and am SERIOUSLY considering going back to the stock tube with the 'resonator' once I get my plenum installed, maybe even sooner...

If I may be so bold as to pose another question? Regarding the hig flow cats...I want to know for real, how many of you that have the cats get a smell after your park your car? This seems to be the main concern (I have read about them going bad sooner because they run out of catalyst, cant say if its true yet or not)...I dont want the smell, and I certainly dont want to be violating any emissions laws...

Ded: Need more info, where did you hear the high flow cats are illegal...there was some talk on another thread that says the federal/state laws state the catalytic converters are not allowed to be touched unless they have a certain number of miles or time on them...is this what you are referring to? if not, then what? Im curious, heh, where you got your information from..

"Damn, how much horsepower does this car have?"

It ain't just a Nissan!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by InfinitiFanatik on 10/12/04 10:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 10-13-2004, 06:14 PM
DED

Various sources:

" Under Federal EPA regulation, replacement of original catalytic converters is allowed only if the original converter(s) is missing, or the vehicle has more than 50,000 miles or is at least five years old and the need for a replacement has been established and documented, or a local inspection program has determined the existing converter is in need of replacement."

"No aftermarket catalytic converters are legal for installation in California on OBD II vehicles"

"Federal E.P.A and individual state laws make it illegal to remove properly functioning OEM catalytic converters from vehicles, which are operated on public streets and highways. As such, installations of XXXX catalyst equipped products are not legal for sale or installation on vehicles, which are operated on public streets and highways."

Pretty good link:

http://www.off-road.com/dodge/tech/Emissions_Legal.htm

Old 10-13-2004, 06:30 PM

blah blah blah...

Old 10-13-2004, 07:10 PM
DED

Shut up.

Black = + 15Hp

Red = - 20Hp

On the COOL dyno.

Page 3.

Old 10-13-2004, 07:30 PM

now hes just babbling...lol

It ain't just a Nissan!

Old 10-13-2004, 10:00 PM

I've had the Crawford cats installed for about 3 weeks now. I had a smell for 1 day, but one would expect that. My G35 stunk for a week after I bought it.

The car smells normal, no different. The car pulls stronger. I can't wait to get the plenum installed to see what that does.

&lt;img src="https://g35driver.com/rides/spec/pix/winw_1093819995.jpg"&gt;

Old 10-14-2004, 05:55 AM

Then take your 35hp advantage and race me on the track cool guy [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]. That's right, you already challenged me to run the 1/4 mile and you pussed out AT THE TRACK.

Truth be told, the run of the mill LASER RED coupe is faster than any scratched up black coupe. [img]/w3timages/icons/tongue.gif[/img] pg. 19

We can always race tomorrow (Friday) night if you're interested Dennis....... Wadda' ya' say... after Applebees? You and me at Bithlo?

Old 10-14-2004, 05:51 PM
DED

Maybe after I get my grounding kit................

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kinetix Plenum Quality / High Flow Cats