G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Kinetix Plenum Quality / High Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinetix Plenum Quality / High Flow Cats

Hey peeps...Im lookin to buy a y-pipe and possibly high flow cats...from what I have been reading, the cats yield 5-10hp, and the y-pipes offer another 5hp or so...so for around 500 bux, i can expect appx 10-20hp? Do cats REALLY give you true HP that you can feel the gas pedal??

Then add plenum for another $400 for another 8-9hp (17-20 at redline)...So for less than a thousand, were talking 27-40hp total hp increase?!?! Sounds like a great deal, more bang for buck than a 5k FI setup...probably get more total HP than FI if you add z-tube, CAI, and pulleys...or am i mistaken?

Also, any comments comparing the crawford plenum to the kinetix one (or the soon to arrive APC one) would be appreciated. Seems like the kinetix is cheaper and you can keep your original? One thing I noticed is that kinetix says they achieve 8hp throughout the rpm range, but 17hp if you add their cats...whereas on crawford's site, they say 9hp peak, and 17-20 at redline and no mention of cats..so hard to compare...though I assume their 9hp quote is 'equivalent' to the 8hp gain kinetix refers to...Any input helps!!

It ain't just a Nissan!

Old 10-11-2004, 06:49 AM
Re: Kinetix Plenum Quality / High Flow Cats

I just have to reply to this thread.

You cannot add horsepower from mods like you are doing.
1. Engine mods work together and they rob and steal from each other.
2. Manufacturers LIE about the gains. That’s how they sell stuff.

The h/f cats, if added to your car first, will give you a slight throttle response change and a louder, raspier exhaust note. You might see a ~5 rwhp increase but that's it. If you then add a y-pipe you will probably gain an additional ~2 rear wheel hp, but you'll never know it unless you dyno the car. The exhaust note will deepen back up slightly, but you'll probably still hear the rasp. Again, no really noticeable increase in hp will be seen. If you then add the plenum you will begin to "balance" the air flow in and out of your engine and should start to see (and feel) an increase in hp. Add a Z-tube and you'll see MAYBE 20rwhp on a dyno if you’re lucky. Far cry from the 27-40 you mentioned. If you add a pulley (can't add a CAI with the z-tube, as they're both air intakes) you might notice another gain in throttle response, but probably won't add but a few (reads ~3 rwhp) if that.

OK, now that we've got that behind us... do a search on Kinetix plenum. Bottom line is that they CRACK. Version 1 cracked and then they developed version 2. Everyone spoke highly about version 2, and then it began cracking. Then they developed version 3. Again, everyone began speaking highly about that version and it started cracking. Now there is version 4... (We’re all waiting for it to start cracking).

IMO, either buy the Crawford or wait for APS to post dyno on their product. Then let other people do pre/post dynos on it and see if the manufacturer is posting fact or fiction.

If you do a search, the Kinetix and Crawford Plenums had a dyno shootout. They were basically identical in terms of performance gains. Since you can keep your core with the Kinetix, many people went out and bought one. Now they’re probably wishing that they would have purchased the Crawford or just kept the stock plenum.

And lastly, IT IS JUST A NISSAN. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img] A fancy badge is just a fancy badge.

Old 10-11-2004, 07:33 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It was my understanding that the Kinetix cracking problem was do to people over tightening the bolts when they installed it.

AZG35.COM

R.I.P. Pat Tillman 1976 - 2004

Old 10-12-2004, 01:08 AM

Well firstly, I think Kinetix may have finally got their act together with their plenum, and even if they still are cracking, kinetix offers a lifetime warranty on all their products...they have very willingly replaced each and every plenum that has cracked...I do still believe I will wait for APC to come out with theirs before I make a decision...

As far as HP gains, there really are two different camps of people...the ones like neffster who say that it doesnt really make a noticable HP or butt-meter difference, and those that do...seems like MOST people (read 8/10) seem to be fairly satisfied with their bolt ons (including the performance gains)...plus I have seen a bunch of dynos on various parts and it does seem like you do see some real gains...one thing is for sure, intake, plenum, cats and y-pipe seems like it will yield a little bit more than 20hp...

im also concerned with the ECU by technosquare...i really dont think i will be purchasing this product...too much talk of voiding warranty...plus im sure neffster and q45tech would be totally against it...though many people say if you change a lot of the airflow characteristics of the engine, you would get much more performance from those mods with an ECU upgrade...im not going to go there, just like for me pulley is out of the question due to too much talk of damaging the engine via harmonic imbalances and undriving the accessories (particularly in my case with a carputer on the way)...

anyhow...look forward to your responses

ps I know ztube cant be added with a CAI..what i really meant was ztube+pc OR cai...typo..I actually have those mods already.

pps it ISNT just a nissan!! meheheheheh

It ain't just a Nissan!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by InfinitiFanatik on 10/11/04 10:15 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 10-12-2004, 01:55 AM

I find something very funny with what ur saying. U say that u don't wanna consider the ECU upgrade by technosquare because of to much talk about voiding warrenty, yet u want to get high flow cats, plenum, and a CAI. Now if any of those things cause engine problem its the same thing as the ECU causing an engine problem....soo I don't understand the difference in warrenty issue? Both can cause problems with the engine and if they do thats voiding warrenty. I don't know much about technosquare's warrenty but I do know that the guy that does the chip reprogramming goes to nissan in japan to learn how to reprogram the new chips..or so I hear..and believe from socalted and g35lin.

Oh and last thing...with all the mods ur doing or planning on doing I doubt if not ever believe ur going to surpass the amount of hp that FI can produce.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:25 AM

Well I was just simply adding up the HP, and comparing that to the appx 50hp or so you get from a "safe" FI setup...I guess I realize that with the mods I am doing, it probably would not equal the same HP that I would get from FI, but I think I can get close...esp if I were to add a few others things perhaps like flywheel and pulleys (which Im not), and ECU or cams.

As far as warranty, I dont think swapping out a few minor bolt on parts discussed before poses any major risk in harming the engine in any way that would void the warranty...they seem relatively unobtrusive...The ECU on the other hand seems as though it could pose a slightly higher risk...changing the timing, throttle body opening, etc...things that were obviously tested and designed a certain way for a reason by the folks over there at nissan...also, many service depts across the country (including my own) are tolerant of the intake/exhaust mods, whereas from what ive read, they would not be too happy if they found out you flashed the ECU and would most definitely void the warranty if anything were to happen to the engine that could even remotely be attributed to the ECU mod...

It ain't just a Nissan!

Old 10-12-2004, 07:38 AM

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

As far as HP gains, there really are two different camps of people...the ones like neffster who say that it doesnt really make a noticable HP or butt-meter difference, and those that do...seems like MOST people (read 8/10) seem to be fairly satisfied with their bolt ons (including the performance gains)...plus I have seen a bunch of dynos on various parts and it does seem like you do see some real gains...one thing is for sure, intake, plenum, cats and y-pipe seems like it will yield a little bit more than 20hp...

<hr></blockquote> WHAT? I didn't say that those mods together will not make a noticable difference. How did you come to that conclusion?

Did you even read my post in its entirety or did you stop half way through and begin your reply? I said ... <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

...If you <font color=red>then add the plenum</font color=red> you will begin to "balance" the air flow in and out of your engine and should start to see (and feel) an increase in hp. Add a Z-tube and you'll see MAYBE 20rwhp on a dyno if you’re lucky.

<hr></blockquote> You do realize that you can change out the cats and the entire exhaust and get less than optimal gains because you have done NOTHING to increase the volume of air entering into your engine? And just so you know... <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

...one thing is <font color=blue>for sure</font color=blue> , intake, plenum, cats and y-pipe <font color=blue>seems like </font color=blue> it will yield a little bit more than 20hp...

<hr></blockquote> I suggest you buy all of the mods you listed above, install them, (of course you'll need to do a pre and post dyno run) and then post your results instead of posting speculation as fact. I gained 17rwhp from an Z-Tube, JWT P/C, Crawford Plenum and Random Technology h/f cats (the most free flowing cats made). That equates to ~21bhp. I've since installed the JIC Y-pipe and noticed squat (and am disappointed in having paid $400+ for it). BTW, I'm a HUGE ADVOCATE in telling others that the Z-Tube, H/F Cats and Plenum are the "best bang for your buck" that you can get on our cars. $1000 for ~21bhp is cheap! Others will disagree and mention flywheels, and pulleys, but one thing is <font color=blue>for sure...</font color=blue> You never heard me say that bolt on's do not make a noticable difference in hp. [img]/w3timages/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Again, it IS just a Nissan!

Old 10-12-2004, 09:44 AM

Firstly, I know what mods I am going to get, it is simply a matter of brand, HENCE the point of this thread...not to argue with you, esp since your experience with the bolt ons are in the minority compared to what other people have been saying (just for EXAMPLE ... the MAJORITY of people LOVE the y-pipe addon)...of course based on whatever your setup is, you may not have been prone to gain much by adding the y-pipe..

And I came to the conclusion because what you said was that unless I put in ALL the parts together, I wouldn't experience a noticable gain, when I must have read thousands of posts that the y-pipe, cats, intake and plenum, all added independently have added enough performance (and sound gains) to put smiles on nearly everyones faces...I FULLY understand (prior to your post) how the addition or lack thereof certain mods can improve or mitigate one another's effects..but you are either downplaying the effects, or you simply didnt get the same result as most other people......

Lets say you 'opened up' the ENTIRE exhaust system all the way back, it certainly is possible that you wont see "optimal" gains because at that point I would suspect the intake side is a bottle neck...but you will absolutely still see a very significant change (maybe we just disagree on the definition of 'significant')...If you just have pc+ztube (no plenum)...and you add cats (touted as the major bottleneck on the exhaust side)...like everyone else, this will usually result in an excellent performance increase..point being you DONT need to add the plenum to see or feel a very significant change, cause there is still 'room' on the intake side to accomodate for the increased flow that the cats would allow

LASTLY...I dont need to add those mods and then post my experiences, because that is not what this thread is for...this threads intention was FOR speculation and discussion PRE-mod...

And its not just a nissan, nissan makes a smiliar car that is MUCH less comfortable, uglier, 5 inches shorter, and no back seat...if you disagree, then I suggest you recind your membership here and go make yourself known on my350z.com....

Ugh, and look at me editing this crap JUST so u wont nitpick on semantics or typos...

It ain't just a Nissan!

Old 10-12-2004, 09:51 AM

Anyone else care to jump in here? I give up.

Old 10-12-2004, 10:32 AM

I noticed a nice gain with the Crawford cats. I think their quality is good and their service is excellent. My vote is for the Crawford cats.

I have the crawford plenum on order. I wouldn't risk putting the Kinetix on due to all the issues. It doesn't phase me that people may not be reporting issues on them now. I continue to see issues and didn't care to mess with it.

The APS one won't be available in the US for months according to correspondence I recently had with the company. I couldn't wait and went with the Crawford.

&lt;img src="https://g35driver.com/rides/spec/pix/winw_1093819995.jpg"&gt;

Old 10-12-2004, 10:51 AM

Sounds to me like you already have the answers to your own questions why bother posting.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:07 AM
a.k.a. RANDYS_G

I have their cats and I can't say anything bad about them.

2 G or not 2 G, there's no question!
Wanna see mine? Click here

Old 10-12-2004, 12:06 PM

I think you're doing fine , neff, but I would like to chime in on this little tidbit:

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

And its not just a nissan, nissan makes a smiliar car that is

MUCH less comfortable, uglier, 5 inches shorter, and no back seat...if you disagree, then I suggest you recind your membership here and go make yourself known on my350z.com....

<hr></blockquote>

Just too good to pass up!

I would suggest, InfinitiFanatik, that you do a little more investigation when it come to your car. The G35 IS a Nissan, and I'm not talking about it being a stretched 350Z (which it is). Take a look at the Nissan Skyline 350GT and then talk about your G35 NOT being JUST a Nissan. Fact is, it IS just a re-badeged Nissan. There are those of us that feel "just a Nissan" is a bit of a slam against a great manufacturer. I, for one, am proud to see Nissan produce great cars, inlcluding the legendary Skyline series and, consequently, now your G35 coupe via their Infiniti NA subsidiary.

I'm not ragging on you, only encouraging you to get your facts straight before you make an idiot of yourself in terms of your car's origins.

And to get back OT, I have to say that the issues with the Kinetix plenum have really sucked to watch (even moreseo to experience, I'm sure). I would love to be able to drop some weight from such a great location. As it is, I'll wait for the APS to hit the market and see what it does before I make a choice on aftermarket plenums.

'05 IP(or ?) 6MT... ...Never too soon to think about modifications!!

Old 10-12-2004, 02:08 PM

Hey InfinitiFanatik,
Read this thread and see what you think about my opinions. Also, notice the dates of the posts...

Old 10-12-2004, 02:31 PM

a) I am plenty informed when it comes to the mods...In fact when I originally posted, I tried to make some conclusions that I KNEW would stimulate some discussion ((which should be VERY obvious)) to help with my (and others) decision..ie just adding up the manufacturers HP claims of these various boltons (all of us know you cant believe all that you read from them) or questioning if a few bolt ons is going to let you run with the FIs..DUH! The main concern I had RE: FI was if I can even get remotely close to FI hp range, w/o FI then Im all for it..esp for the price and lack of wear and tear on the engine..and that does appear plausible)...

To those of you who posted on the original POINT, it does seem to be the consensus to wait for APC, and I am trying my best to hold out till then (though being that crawford and kinetix's plenums perform equally, I would expect the same from APC...and aesthetically speaking, the kinetix looks fine to me and as long as they are willing to back their products, it becomes increasingly difficult to wait as APCs release date gets pushed farther and farther back)

b) Bigron (and neff for that matter)...what is your deal with telling me to do more "investigation" and getting my facts straight...The comment I make is not based on corporate infrastructure...I KNOW what the hell a skyline is, I KNOW the derivation of my G35. There should have been NO reason for neff to get catty...It is IMPLICIT in my comment that I KNOW the "facts"... BUT this is an INFINITI site, with INFINITI enthusiasts, and in my own little happy world, I like to think I'm driving an INFINITI, not a Nissan...

Furthermore, I do understand bigron that there are nissan fans, I am not one of them...I happen to really dislike most every product that has come off their assembly line (under that name)...I HAVE had SEVERAL Infinitis...Just like my old A4 and TT...audis, not VWs...I truly dislike VWs, theyre cheap, ugly, and they underperform...If I wanted a Jetta (Z), I woulda gone to the VW (nissan) dealer.

It ain't just a Nissan!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Kinetix Plenum Quality / High Flow Cats