G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Dr. Colorchip for DG?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr. Colorchip for DG?

I've got the usual hood, door chips etc. and have heard great things about dr. colorchip. Visited their website but DG is not listed as a color. I know it's probably the most popular coupe color out there, so...

Are there any DG guys using dr. colorchip? Did it cost any more to have the color specially made?

Old 09-18-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same problem. I have small paint chips all through out the bottom from bumper and the passenger side door. I have DG as well. Also interested in this.

Bump

Old 09-18-2010, 08:31 PM
I have Dr Colorchip for my LR and it's the most amazing small investment I've made .. you can barely notice a chip was ever there until you get super close .. if anything, I would contact them directly with the color code and I'm sure they can match it for you .. otherwise I'm pretty sure you can just purchase the paint removing solution and just use some OEM paint with a small brush .. their site also says you can send them a sample color chip, some of the OEM color, the OEM color code and if none of these are available they say ..

"If you don’t have a color sample that you can send us, there are several ways you can get us the information we need to provide you with a good match. Try visiting a PPG, DuPont, Sherwin Williams or BASF paint distributor to review their color chip books.

All of these companies maintain an inventory of color chip books that they will allow you to look through. If you can identify a good color match by visually comparing the chips in these booklets to your vehicle’s color, then all we would need is the color code for the chip that you feel best matches your car and we can formulate the paint using this color code information.

If you can’t find a good match in the color chip books, then ask them if they have a photo spectrum gun that they can use to take a picture of the vehicles panel. They then run this through their formulation database to determine a close color match. Normally this can be done not just for cars but also for motorcycles, RV’s, boats, ATV’s, Scooters, Airplanes etc.

Send us a sample. The paint distributors can mix up a small amount of your custom color based on photo spectrum gun findings. The paint can then be sprayed onto a piece of paper to create a sample color chip. If you can only get the paint mixed (bottled) but not sprayed onto a piece of paper, paint a sample onto a business card and send it to us along with this form"

here's the link to the form .. http://drcolorchip.com/documents/cus...r-matching.pdf

so .. I'm pretty sure the color code will be sufficient .. good luck and I'm sure you'll be happy with the results .. just make sure you clean and clay the surface to make sure there is no dirt, old wax or anything there and wait like 5-8 minutes before removing the excess (I waited a little longer than specified to give it extra time to bond) .. you won't regret how simple and inexpensive it is and I doubt it will cost ANY extra since all they would most likely need is the color code

Old 09-18-2010, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by bjquinnIUmed
I've got the usual hood, door chips etc. and have heard great things about dr. colorchip. Visited their website but DG is not listed as a color. I know it's probably the most popular coupe color out there, so...

Are there any DG guys using dr. colorchip? Did it cost any more to have the color specially made?
Find your color code which is inside glove box, inside engine bay, and probably other places...I bought one of these kits for my LR Coupe a couple weeks ago and on their website its called redline, but it matches perfectly...

The color code is a 3 digit sequence like LR color code is AX6 just look for the code and it is next to the color on their website...

Old 09-19-2010, 12:13 AM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
The Dr. Colorchip touch up paint works great, follow the instructions and you'll be satisfied. The only issue I have with them is they give you a glove to use when applying the paint, they must think we're a world of f^cking midgets....yea the glove was that small!
Gary

Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 AM
The paint color that they have listed as WV2 is actually Silverstone Metallic. It looks a lot lighter than how the darker-charcoal greyish the DG looks. It doesn't look to be as dark as my Diamond Graphite. Will this color match my DG?

Old 09-19-2010, 11:14 AM
yah wtf how do they not have that color! NEED!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by develop1
The paint color that they have listed as WV2 is actually Silverstone Metallic. It looks a lot lighter than how the darker-charcoal greyish the DG looks. It doesn't look to be as dark as my Diamond Graphite. Will this color match my DG?
Yes it is WV2, and although it does say that other color it is indeed the correct color. I used it about 6 months ago with great results!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:06 PM
^awesome...just what I was looking to hear!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:38 PM
Used Dr. Colorchip on my '02 Imola red BMW M3 and was amazed at how it helped hide the paint chips. I have been recommending to all my friends. One of my buddies w/ an Nismo 350Z took my advice and was amazed as well! If you do decide to get the kit make sure you get the largest kit as you will prob use more than you would think and will also have some leftover to use at a later date.

Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Actually it is a one time only use, one you combine the bonding agent it dries up within a certain amount of time... But I also suggest getting the largest volume.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:21 PM
Does this work good on bumpers cause my front OB has tons of little chips...(damn drive from florida to NY, shoulda taped my car)

Old 09-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Originally Posted by walshtj
Actually it is a one time only use, one you combine the bonding agent it dries up within a certain amount of time... But I also suggest getting the largest volume.
That is why I didn't add the bonding agent to all of the paint...I combined small amounts of each in a seperate container, so I should be good to go when the time to reply comes.

Originally Posted by DT35G
Does this work good on bumpers cause my front OB has tons of little chips...(damn drive from florida to NY, shoulda taped my car)
Yes it works on bumpers as well. Keep in mind that it will not fill in chips (it's not like bondo) but will cover the chips w/ color match paint so that from 1 foot away the chips are way less noticeable.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:45 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
I wonder if you can fill in the chips with something else and use this as the last step to make the final coat as flush as possible?

Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,487 Likes on 1,222 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
I don't see why not. You'd just have to make sure the filler is smooth and even with the rest of the paint. You should be good to go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dr. Colorchip for DG?