G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

No more heat soak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more heat soak

When I bought my car it had a gtube and a cone filter stuck to an aluminum adaptor. Needless to say the car felt very sluggish after 10mins of driving. It was obvious hot air was entering the engine and passing through an aluminum adaptor and getting even hotter. I did tons of searching and really don’t see how a JTW intake stop hot air it a stupid piece of metal? The only good intake that look to be of a good design was the stillen in terms of keeping hot air out but cost big $ even for a good used one. I don’t see how AEM cold air intakes stop hot air from entering the engine with a filter close to the road sucking hot air through a aluminum pipe? I found a few others that were well design with keeping hot air out but look a lot like stock and function like stock but cost big $ also. So I decided to replace my hot air intake with something less hot and cost effective and wow what a difference my car feels more constant when driving and feels like it should. I bought a ztube $25 and a 06 rev up air box with side vent and filter $40 and could not be happier. I love how the car pulls and never feels tired like when heat soak sets in. I don’t care about sound from my intake I have plenty from my exhaust. I want to add a better filter and call it a day. I now know what heat soak feels like and not having it make me what a great mod for cheap, never thought I would use a stock set up but I am glad I did.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool story bro!!

Old 09-20-2010, 09:36 AM
same here man....living in Florida is the ultimate intake killer =/ and i too bought my car with a metal pipe...but just picked up a z-tube and am trying to decide what to put on the other end of it

Old 09-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 84 Likes on 77 Posts
Old 09-20-2010, 10:03 AM
yes I live in FL also and heat is a killer to performance..I love the nice cool mornings and so does my car with the new intake..

Old 09-20-2010, 03:53 PM
I have the rev up box now but I love how my friends drives with a JWT pop, but I live in san francisco and the hottest it gets here is like 75...for about 3 days a year.

Old 09-20-2010, 03:59 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Def good move.
Next best mod would be an MREV2 and 5/16" plenum spacer (if you have the 6mt).
Really wakes the car up.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by sfsergey
I have the rev up box now but I love how my friends drives with a JWT pop, but I live in san francisco and the hottest it gets here is like 75...for about 3 days a year.
cool we are 90+ 8 months out of the year

Old 09-20-2010, 04:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any intake/filter system that draws air from the engine bay will make your car feel sluggish, it makes very little difference what its made of,
the main reason a stock filter box feels better than some aftermarket intakes is that it at least has a dedicated feed from the outside air.

If any intake can draw air from outside, IE a feed from the bumper intake aperture, or the filter situated where it receives a decent flow of cold air will be much better on the move, however if your stuck in slow moving traffic you WILL suffer so called heat soak, its the same with any car, and its due to the air not moving fast enough though the intake pipework to bring the temperature down, its also partly due to the ECU, as the IAT sensor sees hotter air and so the ECU sees the air is less dense and so runs less duty cycle on the injectors, so the result is less air = less fuel = less power.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:24 PM
yea irish, i'm picking up a spacer shortly...but wasn't so sure on the MREV2. it's pricey... really worth it? i've been researching it and people seem to like it but that just seems like a very expensive intake mod... and i'm really not even that interested in performance. I just want a good sound and good looks! I have a sportbike for all my speed cravings ;p

Old 09-20-2010, 04:45 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
Originally Posted by aznarkitekt
yea irish, i'm picking up a spacer shortly...but wasn't so sure on the MREV2. it's pricey... really worth it? i've been researching it and people seem to like it but that just seems like a very expensive intake mod... and i'm really not even that interested in performance. I just want a good sound and good looks! I have a sportbike for all my speed cravings ;p
Yes if you have a 6MT REVUP, no if you have a 5AT.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by Silencer_0
Yes if you have a 6MT REVUP, no if you have a 5AT.
I have a non revup 6mt and would love to add these mods but I am still under warranty, so anything cheap and easy I am all for it. My car feels like it has more now. Would a KN dropin filter help any? I just have a oem paper filter for now..

Old 09-20-2010, 05:22 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^K&N filter will only add a few HP but maintaining it is cheaper then constantly buying replacement filters.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:29 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
A motordyne spacer is one of the best bang-for-buck mods for our car, so that should definitely be on your list. It's not that expensive, and is easy to DIY. Look into an HR y-pipe too.

Unless your dealership are total d!cks, you shouldn't have any warranty problems with those mods. Unless of course your mods are directly causing the problem.

A lot of us are still under warranty and are modded. I have an 07 with 26k miles and look at my mods lol. And I'm going in for some warranty work in a few days.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:53 PM
Received 51 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by aznarkitekt
The MREV2 def improves the power band and adds some extra growl in the 4000+ rpms.
You can get them used for around $350.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: No more heat soak