G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 coupe in Snow?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2010 | 02:21 PM
|
G35 coupe in Snow?

Hey guys gotta question. I'm in the Army and PCS'ing to Alaska, and i want to take my coupe. I absolutely love my car and don't want to sell it if i dont have to. I am looking at trading in my coupe for the new STI sedan, good power and AWD. My big concern is how the G35 coupe handles in the snow. I know its RWD and that's a issue, but how well do snow tires handle on the g35? Thanks for any input.

Old 10-10-2010 | 02:23 PM
I'll let you know how it goes this winter with my G35 Coupe.

During the winters, i see many coupes so i assume it's fine, just don't push it.

Old 10-10-2010 | 02:38 PM
With winter tires, it's fine. Though you can still get stuck if you're in 5+ inches and the car gets high centered.

With summer tires, don't even bother.

Old 10-10-2010 | 02:40 PM
Winter tires are a must, that's for sure!

Old 10-10-2010 | 03:05 PM
are any of you running all season tires or just winter/snow tires when that time of year comes around

Old 10-10-2010 | 04:06 PM
|
I dont know how much snow ill encounter in alaska. Ill get snow tires, but do you think ill need chains? Ill be there for 3yrs, and I still want to have fun, no what I mean?

Old 10-10-2010 | 04:36 PM
ummm winter tires… good ones. i drove in the snow with my oem potenzas last year… i made it out of my driveway and about 100 yards. going about 5-7mph idleing fowards i just suddenly started sliding lol. I know my father has 2007 G35x, and that thing is a beast in the snow. it even has a snow mode.

Old 10-10-2010 | 04:43 PM
Alaska gets a lot of snow so be prepared for that. My biggest concern would be how well they plow the roads. You can get snow tires to help but if the snow is consistently very deep, you're going to be a slow, ****ty snow plow. This goes for the STi as well. I've driven a turbo'd rwd car that didnt have LSD or traction control and did just fine, just be smart about.

Like I said, check how well they plow the roads and let that be your deciding factor if you'll end up needing a truck or not.

Old 10-10-2010 | 05:08 PM
i just put CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DWS on my 19s. Jersey got a lot of snow last year and my OEM Bridgestones were bold as hell. Didn't have the car last year but i do know people with Z's that were sliding all over the place. I'll let you know how the DWS's do. if your going to be there 3 years i would sell it or trade it in for a good AWD and then trade that in for a 2014 G40. It should be out by then or the year after. And thats if the world doesn't come to an end in 2012.

Old 10-10-2010 | 05:36 PM
Chains....no.....lol.

You could get studded tires and you should be fine. Don't even think to use all seasons in the winter. Try to get 17" rims/tires. 225/55/17 for all 4 tires.

Old 10-10-2010 | 05:40 PM
I lived in Alaska for 4 years. DO NOT even think about taking your G there. All residents there are required to switch to studded tires during the winter and your car or truck pretty much has to be AWD.

Old 10-10-2010 | 08:59 PM
G35 Coupe
they suck lots of monkey ***** in the snow...i lost count of how many times ive been stuck and i live in NJ which gets pssuy lil snowstorms most of the time.

Old 10-10-2010 | 09:18 PM
you might remember hearing about the severe winter thunderstorm that hit the panhandle of texas last winter. i drove my g through town on the snow and the ice and really learned to appreciate the vdc (about the only time i ever use/enjoy it). i had to go to class and work or i would have never gotten out in it because most people in this area dont know how to drive in inclement weather and are particularly dangerous. nonetheless the car did really well as long as my right foot was soft and i gave myself plenty of room to stop. sliding on the ice should definately be a concern in a g. without the vdc on, i couldnt take off straight from a light and would usually just slide one way or the other with practically no input from my right foot. overall i was impressed with the g's ability to handle the bad weather, but wasnt confident enough to make the trip 150 miles north to meet the rest of the family for christmas. there were over 120 accidents along highway 87 on my route. i figured it was best to stay out of it. so i drove to my shop outside of town to work on my mustang racecar. it was at this point that i ceased to be impressed with the g's ability to handle bad weather. its a 30 foot long 20-25 degree ramp down into the storage complex. Fortunately i went slow and did not slide down the ice covered ramp into the gate. Getting back out was another story. Needless to say it took three days of melting, and four people pushing to get the car up the still-icey ramp and out onto the road.

My G snow experience can be summarized by saying that as long as you are on flat ice or snow and drive slow and safe, you will be alright. if you have any kind of icey incline or decline to deal with.... on/off ramps, mountain roads or steep driveways where you live... you will likely have a bad experience that results in you getting stuck, at best. That said, OP id make the switch to the awd subie. good luck up there!

Old 10-10-2010 | 09:42 PM
everything
Good luck on OEM tires. I took mine to work one day this past winter, less than 1/4 mile from my house to work. It took me almost 5 minutes. I had to baby it in 2nd the whole time, even with the VDC kept on, all it does is spin. And there was maybe 1" or less of snow on the road.

Park it.

Old 10-10-2010 | 09:51 PM
Don't do it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 coupe in Snow?