G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Weight of 19" forged OEMs?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 12:28 PM
Red Card Crew

Received 583 Likes on 496 Posts
N80 with all due respect, questions like yours is why the search engine exists (and the stickies at the top of each respective section).

I've been a moderator on a maxima site for many years. Newbie questions only clutter up the forums and push legitimate questions off the page.

I'll answer a question if I have the time and desire. But in all honesty, I did my fair share of research on this subject and I did't take the time to write it all out so I could repeat it every time someone asks.

If that's the way it works best on your site, that's great. I'm glad you found a way to make it work. But it doesn't work that way here.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:27 PM
N80
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeff, the search engine really isn't that great here. I'm not a search expert but when I plug in my post title I don't really see an answer after checking 4 or 5 of the result posts. There may be an answer under 'rays' but I had no idea that these rims were 'rays' so that didn't help. I'm a noob after all, right?

The claim that newbie posts clutter up the site is simply not the case. There is not enough traffic here for clutter. Plus, like I said before, if you ignore them, they drop off the page.

I appreciate your answer. Responses like yours make the site worth coming back to. But, if you didn't feel like responding that was your choice too, and again, the post would have dropped off. I also learned, from you, that the stock Bridgestones are heavy. That's good to know and not something I'd have thought about. It will likely help someone else too.

But it doesn't work that way here.
Sure it does. It worked for this post. I've had plenty of great replies to very typical questions here and I've helped answer pretty common questions here too. Its not like its all that hard to either answer or ignore a question. And for what its worth, if I decide this place is worth hanging around I'll do just the same. I'll ignore stuff that I'm not interested in or have nothing to contribute and I'll help out when I can and when I feel like it. Maybe things will get better and we'll be able to avoid 2-10 page threads that mostly consist of chastizing new members.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Red Card Crew

But it's not something we haven't discussed a million times before. That's the problem.

I'd rather see new questions, not rehashed old ones. The faster we can get new members on board with reading the stickies and learning the search engine, the better.

Search for OEM rays weight: worked great for me?
https://g35driver.com/forums/search....rchid=10445493 netted this thread Stock 17s drive better than the coupe 19s Worked for me?

Old 10-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
We answer your ******** question to get you to shut up, then we tell you LEARN TO SEARCH. so that hopefully we won't have to make you look stupid again.

Go read up on tire weights and find out that the re0s that come stock weight about 34lbs each.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM
N80
Did another search. Found a thread that you replied to and gave the same numbers. In 2008. Other people in the thread gave different numbers, some of them obviously wrong. Again, 'search' works okay but it is far from perfect. I don't post here looking for 'an' answer, I post here looking for 'the' answer.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:38 PM
Red Card Crew

How do you know my answer here is any more correct than any other?

If you want THE answer, then research the weight of your tires and subtract that from the total weight of the wheel/tire.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator
Received 127 Likes on 105 Posts
Originally Posted by grocerylist
SwivelHips has been very helpful to me and others. He was just pointing out that you could have found the answer out yourself much quicker using google... hence Jeff92se's lmgtfy link http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Weight+of+19%22+forged+OEMs%3F+ which produced the answer (top link) in 0.2 seconds.

The point is... search before you post. This forum has been around for quite some time and is a valuable resource. Google is your friend too.

^ A SuperNoob finally gets it! Yes!

<sniff> They do grow up sometimes

Boobies for the newbie!

N80, search does blow if you don't know how to use it. Took me awhile to figure out you gotta use a "+" before each search word and pull down "search titles only" to get the good stuff that's weeded out all the crap. Otherwise, you'll get a ton of posts that you have to plow through to get your search items embedded within. Gotta search intelligently.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:40 PM
N80
Originally Posted by 4DGS
We answer your ******** question to get you to shut up, then we tell you LEARN TO SEARCH. so that hopefully we won't have to make you look stupid again.
Funny. Been here a couple of months and haven't run into anyone here who could make me look or feel stupid. Sound arrogant? Sometimes the price of being smarter than everyone else is that they think you are pretentious. I can live with that.

Go read up on tire weights and find out that the re0s that come stock weight about 34lbs each.
I didn't need to. Got my answer in a snap with no search at all. Kinda makes YOU look stupid right?

Boy, I sure hope you 'smart' guys don't let anymore bandwidth get wasted here. We up to two pages yet of you parrots squaking about the search button? WABOI's

Old 10-19-2010, 02:42 PM
N80
Gotta search intelligently.
I did. Typed a question. Got an answer.

Jeff, how do I know you're right? Good point.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:45 PM
Red Card Crew

Originally Posted by N80
Boy, I sure hope you 'smart' guys don't let anymore bandwidth get wasted here. We up to two pages yet of you parrots squaking about the search button? WABOI's
Like I said, I asnwered your question out of courtesy and that's fine. Good luck with the rest of your questions that you might have

Old 10-19-2010, 02:57 PM
Thinking your the **** and being a dumb *** that knows nothing are very different as well.

Come back when you don't have to ask questions that PROVE you're and idiot.

I prefer to use bandwidth to rip on guys.

What's your next question...

What cars faster? My car in decently cool weather with DRs or my buddies GTR in really hot weather with a poor driver?

You're lucky it's Jeff in this thread, there are more of us that really love to tear people apart.

Old 10-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Well since you already wasted our time with this question

"whats the difference between a cold air intake and short ram?"

I think I've proven my point...

Old 10-19-2010, 03:09 PM
Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts
Originally Posted by N80
Why? Why is that the point?
Nobody here minds helping a new member with even the most elementary question if he or she has shown so much as a pretense of effort on his own part to find the answer. Some will even have the good grace to post 'Ok, my bad, I'll search next time" -- and some actually do learn, and find answers and share them with the rest of us. Even you did so...see, it works!

Jeff, myself, and lots of others answer repeat questions all the time. I do it because I like to share knowledge and to keep those questions from clogging up the PM inboxes of the real experts here. I figure if I can handle a few of the softballs, when it comes to a truly esoteric question, the guys who have modded their G's to hell and back will actually have the time and inclination to provide an answer, to me or to anyone else.

Originally Posted by N80
Fourth, it is presumptuous to think that once a question has been answered by one person that no new aspects can be brought to the issue.
That actually depends a lot on the question. AFAIK the weight of OEM Rays 19s has not changed since 2005 and no new information has come to light as a result of the question having been asked 6.02x10E23 times.

Originally Posted by N80
Fifth, when a question like this pops up again as a thread people get info even when the weren't looking for it. I found the recent 'tall driver' thread when I'd have never thought about the issue at all. It referenced a previous thread about how to lower the coupe seat a bit. It was valuable to me and that makes this site valuable to me. If that guy had done a search and never posted his thread, a good many people wouldn't have gotten that additional value from this site.
I can agree with you on two things here:

1) It's a pleasant surprise to stumble upon the answer to a question you didn't even know you had, and

2) we will never get away from new members asking the same questions ad infinitum ad nauseum. But it still irks me when they ask without having tried at all to find out for themselves. In your particular case, you said you'd been on here a few months, and you still hadn't taken the initiative to find out for yourself. You should have known better. Sure, you got your answer, but you've also gotten solemn pledges from several OG's on here never to do so again. Was it worth it to have been able to proclaim "I am n00b, serve me!" ??

Originally Posted by N80
Jeff, you know, you did the right thing. Nice helpful reply. And I'm grateful. Glad you know Swivel, he's probably a nicer guy than he came across as in this thread.
That's just a filthy lie!!

Lastly, you seem pretty smug about having gotten your question answered, and having spawned a multi-page response. You may be surprised to know I'm glad you did, too; for every 50 threads I do ignore, there's one like this that can serve as an example. A mod should sticky this thread as a great example of what NOT to do if you want help and information on this site more than once.

P.S. pnn23 saves this thread!!

Old 10-20-2010, 02:49 AM
That's some green carnage.

Are EM drivers turning into BMW owners?

Old 10-20-2010, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys are a bunch of friggin' children. I almost thought I was on the civic forums. Quite arguing like a bunch of school girls, how childish can you get? I really wish there was a better G forum out there because the way some of you guys come across, you would get knocked out if it was real life.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Weight of 19" forged OEMs?