G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Clutch sticking question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Clutch sticking question

Hey, my clutch sticks to the ground specifically only when 1st gear is used repetitively like in bumper to bumper traffic for 30 minutes.

Basically when it gets hot.

I suggested the master or slave cylinder change to the dealership, but they could not replicate the the sticky clutch pedal.

They also stated that a reason it may stick to the ground on the grounds that I receive them is because my clutch may be wearing out because the technician stated that the clutch does not catch at its normal spot supposedly, but is not slipping.... so they recommended me to replace the clutch to solve the problem

is this true?

Old 11-23-2010, 01:29 AM
bump

Old 11-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Received 232 Likes on 183 Posts
Tons of threads on this. Basically the problem is the DOT3 fluid used heats up and starts to break down. Replace it with DOT4 fluid (higher boiling point) and you should be gtg. Common problem, relatively easy fix, nothing to worry about. Search, you'll find the info you need.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:46 AM
I did search, and previously the clutch would stick right away when on a hill for example.
I bleed the clutch system with fresh fluid and it did go away but under heavy traffic(bumper to bumper) 30 mins or so with heavy 1st gear use it sticks.

Old 11-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That happened to me a few times and it only seems to happen when the clutch is heat.
Maybe go easier on the clutch during traffic?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:08 AM
Did you upgrade the fluid from DOT3 to DOT4? If you bleed it and replace it with the same fluid that was causing problems, it will continue to cause to problems. If you've upgraded the fluid to DOT4 and you're still having issues you might want to look into stainless steel lines. Beyond that you might need a professional, my clutch was fine after the DOT4 so I can't help you past that.

Edit: When you say you did bleed the line, did you really bleed it or just use the suction turkey baster type method? If you didn't do a full bleed you may still have old fluid in the lines as well.
Edit2: Also, if you're worried that the techs may be right and you might need a new clutch, give us some info on the car. What year, how many miles, etc. OEM clutch or has it been replaced previously? If you've got an 07 with 20k miles I doubt it needs to be replaced, if you've got an 03 with 180k miles, might want to look into it

Last edited by OBsessed; 11-23-2010 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Bleed Q
Old 11-23-2010, 04:34 AM
I did the full bleed with valvoline dot3/do4 synthetic brake fluid
and yes I do seem to notice that it is when the clutch is under extreme heat and I am easy on the clutch, but for example on a parking structure during a car meet it is inevitable to prevent the clutch from heating up since there is bumper to bumper traffic going up hill which requires repetitive use of first gear.

btw my car is a 2005 coupe with ~52,500 miles original clutch and imo it is fine as in it is not slipping at all.

(As said earlier the clutch use to stick easily to the floor when I first drove the car and did a full clutch bleed with valvoline synthetic fluid and it went away until I started driving the car in heavy and I mean HEAVY traffic which required heavy first gear use that heated the clutch and caused it to stick to the floor.)

So I am guessing I do not have a slave/master cylinder problem and that this is just common due to the heated clutch?

Old 11-23-2010, 04:39 AM
It's somewhat common, but like I said the fluid should have fixed it. I mean, the problem you describe sounds exactly like what the rest of experienced before the fluid change... BUT the fluid changed fixed it for most of us, I don't know why that didn't help you. Stainless clutch lines are the only other recommendation I've got for you (the rubber hoses will expand and cause less fluid pressure when they are heated, whereas the stainless lines tend to hold their shape).

Suppose it could be a problem with the cylinders but I really don't know, sorry man. I wonder if there's a way to check for air leaks or pressure loss in the slave/master cylinder? Maybe someone else will chime in with some better ideas, I'm fresh out

Old 11-23-2010, 01:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For my few instances, it only happened when I steped on the clutch very light with my stupid Express sandles on, which would require me to kick the clutch back up. When I stepped on it harder, it did bounce back.

While driving with my Puma shoes, it never happened.