G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

feeling screwed by oil consumption

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
feeling screwed by oil consumption

I have read a bit about the oil consumption problems with the g35. I myself have a 05 AT coupe that I have owned for about a year. I have always changed the oil on my own cars and I was alarmed when I only recovered 1 quart from my oil change after 4000 miles with synthetic oil. I always changed my oil after 3000 miles with regular motor oil and 4500 miles with synthetic. I have 69,300 miles on my car meaning I have 600 miles left till the warranty runs out. I have a few engine mods like a intake, plenum spacer, lightweight underdrive pulley, exhaust... and I have it tuned with a cobb AP. I will take my car to the dealership this week after I tune it back to stock with the cobb AP. I am pretty sure they will deny me a new engine. If so, what should I do? in most postings I find that people with this issue are able to get a new engine, but what do you do if you cant?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:36 PM
why would they deny you a new engine? make sure you do not drive the 700 miles and put your car to stock. they will have to give you a new one if they see there is an oil consumption problem

Old 12-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Received 295 Likes on 183 Posts
I would take all ur mods off and return to stock If u are unsure of the dealership is mod friendly...

JMHO.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:45 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^+1

Make sure you have a copy of the TSB and that the dealership follows it exactly.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:22 PM
Honestly getting this car back to stock would be not be practical. I dont have the time or the resources at the moment. Is there any argument I can make with the dealership so they would ignore the mods? I dont believe these additions have negatively impacted the engines quality. It was already consuming oil and it has progressed to where it couldnt be ignored..... as far as engine mods I have a plenum spacer, CAI, an underdrive crank pulley set (that was a total B**** to install), exhaust, transgo valvebody upgrade (just installed)... and i think thats it.

Old 12-06-2010, 01:52 PM
dude due it take it to the dealer and talk to the service manager explain to him this is a common issue most dealers know about this. Let them do the test, drive you car really hard during the test to ensure it really burns oil and you should get it replaced. I mean from what a service manager told me is that they don't want to deny you because that helps them make money.

Anyway my engine went at 71K right after the warranty so trust me as a person that paid for it out of pocket. If you plan on keeping this car you want another engine. You can get an engine pretty cheap cost me about 2500 but free is always better.

Old 12-06-2010, 05:14 PM
oil burner

sigh, free would be good. I am just losing hope. I made an appt for thursday to have this test done and I didnt tell the gal that I didnt have any receipts for oil changes and I sure as hell didnt mention that my car has a million mods. Is there anyway to find out exactly what the problem is without taking my engine apart? like If I end up being denied I'd like to be able to know exactly what it is that needs to be repaired and just fix the issue with some performance parts i guess.... anyway, my plan at the dealership is to tell them that I have always loved infiniti vehicles and I have refered my friends to their dealership and I would hate for them to deny a future car customer a warranted and necessary service...

Old 12-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Banned
Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
You need to replace or rebuild your short block. This include pistons, rings and everything else.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This happened to me in my '04 a few weeks ago when I changed my oil and only got a little over a quart out. I waited about 7,000 miles on fully synthetic though... I am 1000 miles out from my extended warranty expiring, and I also have z-tube, plenum spacer, and header-back exhaust. However, prior to this last interval, I'd changed my oil every 3500 miles or so and the level never got dangerously low... I also beat on it a bit more during this last interval.

All that being said, and this is totally theoretical- there have been concerns about a good amount of oil being sucked into the lower plenum via the pcv line, especially when driving the car hard. Coincidentally, I've gotten a CEL shortly after my last two oil changes showing the car running lean. Is it possible that with the oil topped off, more could be getting sucked into the plenum, leaning out the air/fuel mixture? I decided to install the DIY home-made oil catch can in my pcv line to see if it helps at all. I've driven about 50 miles in modest fashion with it installed and have already accumulated a few drops of oil in there...

In any case, I hate dealing with the dealer and don't have the means to switch my exhaust back to stock, so if I end up having to add a couple of extra courts to my engine between each oil change, so be it.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:49 PM
go to some shop very small that has those standard auto invoices that all shops use give the guy 50 bucks to say he changed your oil. I say this because this is what i did but did they even ask for that yet. Just let them do the test. If you still have a warranty fight now because it's going to be impossible when it's up I tried for 2 months.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:15 PM
E_K
Location: Toh-rensa,Ahteesia,Ahcadia,Montree Pak, Longa Beacha
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I went through this when I had my 03 5AT coupe. It was burning 3 quarts per 1000 miles, and the dealership initially denied me a new engine due to bolt on mods (intake, plenum). I filed a BBB complaint, with the argument that these are the same mods that multiple Nissan and Infiniti dealerships are selling across Southern California. So they would have to acknowledge that their own merchandise can and will lead to oil consumption.

I got a new engine after that.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
i got shot down on mine.....5k and 2 months out of warranty

Old 12-07-2010, 02:07 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So how hard is it to rebuild the motor with new rings and con rod bearings?

Old 12-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Originally Posted by yglide115
sigh, free would be good. I am just losing hope. I made an appt for thursday to have this test done and I didnt tell the gal that I didnt have any receipts for oil changes and I sure as hell didnt mention that my car has a million mods. Is there anyway to find out exactly what the problem is without taking my engine apart? like If I end up being denied I'd like to be able to know exactly what it is that needs to be repaired and just fix the issue with some performance parts i guess.... anyway, my plan at the dealership is to tell them that I have always loved infiniti vehicles and I have refered my friends to their dealership and I would hate for them to deny a future car customer a warranted and necessary service...
While you may have to fight to get it approved, I think things are on your side. They have a burden to prove that the after-market parts are the cause of the issue.

Old 12-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The TSB a copy of which is in the sticky section of this forum is for 2005-2007 manual transmission sedans and coupes. Any vehicle that does not meet the TSB criteria would have to be evaluated on an individual basis by the dealer. I'm sorry but it is my opinion that you as an owner are at a hugh disadvantage when it comes to proving that modes didn't cause the problem. All the dealer needs to do is provide one Infiniti certified master mechanic's opinion to prove their case even if he is lying. Who's more believable. Also they have statistics on their side. Infiniti should have on record exactely the number of engine replacements performed on any given model, year. Anybody having this problem outside the TSB hope you have or can find a willing dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: feeling screwed by oil consumption