G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

manumatic shifting on 5AT coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 12:44 AM
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
manumatic shifting on 5AT coupe

5AT folks: whilst trying to get accustomed to the MM mode, I have found that rapid shifting in succession is not possible. There must be a deliberate delay between shifts. This is a bit unnerving because you cannot just shift to MM mode and downshift all in one manuever. Is this the way it is for all of you or is my new 5AT MM mode defective?

Thanks!

Old 10-31-2004, 12:53 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: manumatic shifting on 5AT coupe

thats just the way it is. ive heard that ecu resets or grounding wires could help quicken the shifts but not by much. best thing you can do is become accustomed to the timing delay and shift earlier. as for the rapid downshifting, going two gears down will take a longer time.

Old 10-31-2004, 10:09 AM
Devil's Advocate

Actually I've found that going from 5th to third is pretty easy if you double tap down in manual mode. It has to be done pretty quick though, almost like double clicking a mouse.

If you are coming out of automatic though you have to wait for it to automatically downshift a gear first. You can't do anything for a second until that gear cycle is complete.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-- Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-31-2004, 12:27 PM

Well, after posting I experimented some more. "Double clicking" does indeed work. I think I was bringing the lever back to the central position and then back down - doing this in rapid succession does not seem to work. But just double tapping does. Interesting.

Old 10-31-2004, 04:18 PM
Devil's Advocate

I don't think I've ever tried 3-1. I'll get back to ya.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-- Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-31-2004, 04:21 PM

Hmmm,

I only tried 4 to 2 - around 35 mph. Will try out other combos next time im out.

Trending Topics

Old 10-31-2004, 04:34 PM
Head 'n Shoulders

while your in 5th, it will go into 3rd if you hold down the shifter. you can hold it for any gear and it will go down two gears, but your rpms must be low enough on the gear before the car shifts to the preceeding gear.

5AT Coupe, Black/ Black, Chrome Wheel/Performance Package, Premium, Aero w/spoiler, Eibach springs, Clear corners, Bat cutout overlays

Old 10-31-2004, 04:47 PM

Best thing I hear is a valve body upgrade from stillen and the UR (unorthodox) Racing Pulley Set with Belts. That will speed up your shifting and acceleration greatly!

Old 11-01-2004, 11:12 AM

Doubling down is easier when you lift the throttle slightly. You have to be going kinda slow to double down from 3 to 1 but it is possible. You have to be quick though in whatever gear you are attempting to engage.

2003.5 G35C 5AT
Premium Package
Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

Old 11-01-2004, 11:57 AM

I saw it posted somewhere else about the rapid shifting from 5th to 3rd and it works okay for me. Typically that's the farthest stretch I'll ever have to downshift (for basic passing on the hwy, etc.).

I have a side question while we're on the topic. I just want to know if everyone else's 5AT does this. If you're coasting to a stop in 3rd, (without doing any downshifting) the car very briefly hits 2nd and then 1st and you come to a smooth stop. But if I'm in 3rd and I downshift to 2nd and then coast to a stop the car jerks really bad when shifting into 1st (this is assuming relatively low speeds and RPMS). Does this happen to the rest of you? I doubt it is but I was just worried it might be a problem with my tranny.

Live in the MD/DC/PA/VA area?
PM me to join the Capital G club!!!

Old 11-01-2004, 12:12 PM

Mine does the same on my 03 cpe. I havent noticed when i get the jerk from downshift into 1st while in mm mode, but it does happen quite a bit. I was wondering the same thing, Is this bad for the tranny when it jerks like that, and why does it do it only sometimes and not all down shifts to 1st.

Old 11-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Jerkeness is probabaly due to the car rapidly slowing the car down to match the rpms, however if the car is already slow enough then there will be no jerking.
I get the same thing in my stick shift car so it is not uncommon.
Paul.

2004 G35 Coupe, Loaded.
2004 Lincoln Aviator
1995 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 completely modified
1999 VW Jetta

Old 11-01-2004, 04:33 PM

When in 2 and you realize that you need to come to a stop, up-shift to 3 then allow the car to downshift on its own. If the car will not let you upshift to 3 because you are moving too slow, then that means that the car deems taht you are already in the correct gear and the jerkiness does not happen.. (at least for me)

2003.5 G35C 5AT
Premium Package
Tire/Wheel Package
K&N Filter, Z-Tube, EGK

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: manumatic shifting on 5AT coupe