G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Quick question about manual mode ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
^I don't believe the older G's have rev-matching. Can't remember if mine has it or not, but whenever I play in the mountains and use engine-breaking a lot, downshifting in tiptronic...etc, it certainly puts more stress on the tranny and its components.

Last edited by herrschaft; 01-27-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 04:23 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
The 03's do not have rev matching. There also seems to be some misconception here about downshifts. I can only speak for the 03's but the only time the transmission downshifts on it's own without you manually downshifting is when you come to a stop. If shifts to first gear. The rest of the time it works like a manual transmission. In order to select a lower gear you must shift via the shift lever. If you are going too fast to shift into the lower gear it will still downshift and if going fast enough bounce of the rev limiter. No automatic shift back to a higher gear.

Old 01-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
The 03's do not have rev matching. There also seems to be some misconception here about downshifts. I can only speak for the 03's but the only time the transmission downshifts on it's own without you manually downshifting is when you come to a stop. If shifts to first gear. The rest of the time it works like a manual transmission. In order to select a lower gear you must shift via the shift lever. If you are going too fast to shift into the lower gear it will still downshift and if going fast enough bounce of the rev limiter. No automatic shift back to a higher gear.
Intresting... so I guess different years have different tiptronic systems. I have a 2005, and like I said above, it will downshift for you if you become too slow (e.x. if you're on 5 and slowing down, will go 4,3,1). Have not tried downshifting @ fast speed tho to cause rev limit bounce (won't try it either )

Old 01-27-2011, 04:55 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Although bouncing of the rev limiter is definately not a good thing at least it's there to protect your drivetrain and motor. Yes, your 2005 has rev matching so it is different than the 2003-2004 tiptronic. I wish I had rev matching.

Old 01-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
First of all, to the people who say that it's rediculous for the transmission to downshift on it's own whilst coming to a stop is crazy. There is no way that you're gonna be able to cruise at 5mph in 5th gear...try doing that in a manual. It only makes sense.

Also, my tranny downshifts depending on the speed. Most of the time if I'm just kind of coasting through a yielded turn, it'll go down into 3rd as I've slowed down enough for it to.

I have an 05 so it has the rev matching, but I'm gonna say I'm too scared to be down shifting at every stop. I just brake and let it do it's own thing as it's not exactly doing the solid downshifts we think it does, it more or less is disengaged but still going down through the gears. Basically, it won't be rev matching itself when your braking cause the tranny has a "slip mode".

And to the guy who said that Infiniti warranty's the transmission, just be prepared to show all service records performed at the proper time and any other appropriate documents. Cause if your tranny goes and you can't, they will most likely void your warranty.

Personally, I'd rather take the safer route and save the manual downshifting in times of spirited driving or passes, not regular city driving on the day to day basis.

Old 01-27-2011, 08:20 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
yay for tipronic shifting!! ^_^

Old 01-28-2011, 09:47 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 04 downshifts for me, so the 03 should be the same. As I am slowing down it will downshift accordingly. For it to go into 1st gear you have to come to a near stop. I say near stop because if you slam on the breaks even if you are going 10mph it will take you to 1st gear. If you slowly decrease your speed to 10mph it will still be in 2nd gear. So the ECU looks at how fast you are decelerating to predict how much to down shift.

Old 01-28-2011, 10:58 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Just throwing my experience in here...

I was doing about 35 and about to do a U turn, there was plenty of road to rip the car around the corner. It was in 3rd gear and i wanted to shift into 2nd when i hit the apex of the turn so i could jump on it when the car was straight. Well the engine lagged and it didnt put it in 2nd right away, so i shifted again and the engine went from 3-2-1 right away while i was doing 30-35. The car got extremely jerky as if i downshifted normally, but the RPMs jumped to redline and i felt myself being pulled backwards. I just pulled it back into D and drove off.

Note, that was my only bad experience with tiptronic lol.

Normally i drive alot of highway miles... and i only use tiptronic when i want to play with the car or hold out the gears a little bit longer to make some more noise. I have to admit though, i love the sound of downshifting from 3-2.... (RPMs are around 2700 in third and jump up to around ~4000 when i downshift)

Old 01-28-2011, 02:11 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Of course, your reacting to the lag (shifting again) is telling the car to shift again, therefore it needed to try and catch up, hence the shift all the way to 1st gear. If you've been in a manual car, if you were able to get it into 1st at 35mph, you'd feel the same "backwards" effect. Really, it's doing what it's supposed to, just a little slow at it.

Personally I'd recommend SxCxEx's grounding kit, it didn't make a WORLD of a difference (I don't feel like I'm Michael Schumacher in a twin clutch Scuderia or anything), but it definitely tightened up the response.

Old 01-29-2011, 04:26 PM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I wasn't complaining about it, it did do exactly what it was supposed to... I was stating what happened because people were asking about what happens when you downshift when you shouldnt.