G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

This Break-In Period Sucks

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2003, 08:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This Break-In Period Sucks

Who is still in their break-in period? How hard have you driven? I'm afraid to screw it up. My husband tells me not to pass 2500 rpm but the book says 4000. What do you guys think?

G35C Desert Platinum/Willow Leather 5AT Aero Pack Premium Pack

Old 04-17-2003, 09:45 AM
G35driver.com Moderator
Re: This Break-In Period Sucks

4,000 is fine.....for 1200 miles, it doesnt hurt to rev high (near redline) once in a while

<font color=green>-Ramb0</font color=green>

Old 04-17-2003, 09:58 AM

I agree, you can at least go to 4000 with a few trips over, it wont hurt anything.

Dan O
Eaton Corporation<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small"><EM>Edited by DanO on 04/17/03 06:58 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Old 04-17-2003, 10:18 AM
Staff ALUMNI
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Short trips to 4k is fine, like they said, just don't run at one RPM for too long. Enjoy.[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=blue>Merlin</font color=blue>

Old 04-17-2003, 11:23 AM

It's not so bad. As other say, spikes above 4K aren't a big deal, just don't do it all the time. Heck, Toyota says don't take it over 60 MPH for 1200 miles - how unreasonable (in Atlanta traffic) is that?

I don't rev mine past 3K very much anyhow, unless I just want some extra zip.

-- mike

2003 G35C 6MT Leather, BS, Prem

Old 04-17-2003, 12:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still in the break-in period(woot, 3 1/2months ownership, only 800miles) but every week or two I'll get riddy and give it a quick run through like 2nd gear and mine is still alive

www.ironpumping.com
^^Bodybuilding Made Simple

Old 04-17-2003, 01:43 PM

Just picked up mine yestersay.

40 mile to work: 80 miles /day.
Going away for easter: 400 miles.
Only needing two weeks to get 1200 miles: Priceless!!!!!

Old 04-17-2003, 02:33 PM

Sweet FastBlack!

I travel 50 everyday for work. I still got a way to go.

G35C Desert Platinum/Willow Leather 5AT Aero Pack Premium Pack

Old 04-17-2003, 03:13 PM

Found this below in another post...

gordgee (zfreak)
04/14/03 06:33 PM

Some argue you don't need to break-in.

From thedriversedge.com, one of the best articles that I read re the break-in schedule and the one I followed 'cause it made sense to me:

Break-in Schedule

JEFF'S NEW CAR BREAK-IN TIPS
The first 2,000 miles is the single most important period in your car's life. This is what determines if the car is a 90,000 mile car or a 190,000 mile car. Remember this! The break-in period is split into three parts.

1) For the first 1000 miles, don't run the car over 3,500 RPM, and don't depress the gas pedal more than half-way to the floor unless absolutely necessary.

***NOTE***
If you have to get onto the freeway, or you need to pass a slow moving truck, STAND ON IT. But don't make a habit of running the car hard during the first 1000 miles. Also, if your car has cruise control, don't use it during this time. You want to vary the engine speed and load as much as possible.

2) During the second interval, which is only 500 miles, you can slowly start using more and more of the engine's power.

3) The third interval is also 500 miles. During this time, use the car HARDER than you would normally. If you only drive 35MPH in the city, and after 50,000 miles move to Boulder Colorado, the car will be working harder than it ever has before, and will NOT be a happy camper! And by harder, I mean both RPM and load. Cruising along at 55MPH in third gear doesn't count! The best thing you can do is to run it full throttle 0-60, shifting above 5,000 RPM. (It is also a good idea to do this twice a month for as long as you own the car.) This keeps the soot out of the exhaust pipe, cleans the catalytic converter, and evaporates the water that is made there. If you do not do this, the exhaust system will rust from the inside out!

4) After the break-in period, you may return to your normal driving style, and the car will be prepared for any changes it might see down the road.

Old 04-17-2003, 04:30 PM

Why do people second guess the manufacture. Just read the manual. Follow the manual. Period.

Old 04-17-2003, 05:09 PM

I dunno, I see a lot of sense in the article TC posted, and it basically follows what Infiniti recommends anyway.

Personally, I'm a little over 1,000 miles and counting down. I've hit 4,000 quite a few times, gone over maybe twice (hit 5,000 once in second gear for an instant).

Once the initial 1,200 period is over, it is a good idea to push the engine now and again - not only to keep things clean, but also to let it get a feel for that kind of revs, and work the cylinders. What I mean by that is, at higher revs, the pistons might travel an extra micron or two higher up the cylinder wall than under low rev driving just by sheer centrifugal force. If the first time you really punch it is at 80,000 miles, that's not a good thing. Besides, who the heck wants to wait that long before punching it - and once you've broken it in, it's only natural that you're going to explore those extra revs more than you will over time!

2003 G35 Coupe 6MT Leather
Premium, Aero
"There is no spoon"

Old 04-17-2003, 05:29 PM

If you read your G35 manual on when to shift gears, you'll end up second guessing the manufacturer, too. The speed shifts are ridiculously low (something like being in sixth gear when you're going 30mph) and the intervals are way too close (you would need to be shifting every two seconds).

I don’t know what’s up with that, but during my break-in period, I drove sporadically at high and low RPMs and my car is just fine.

[img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img] Love my 6MT Coupe! [img]/w3timages/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Old 04-17-2003, 05:57 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FastBlack, Gordgee's article that TCFool reposted above, IMO, isn't an attempt to second guess the manufacturer. Altho following the manufacturer's recommendations should be fool proof, these days the Owners manuals aren't very explicit- even ambiguous at times. I've read thru that article and it's hard to find fault with it. It seems to take into account the manufacturer's guidlines and goes a step or 2 further.
IMHO it's a good guide to refer to if you're into being a little more '****' about car maintenance.
Interestingly, I'd bet that a few that have read that post have not even picked up the O/M or even know where it is. For them, the post would be their only source of how to break the car in.
Don't get me wrong dude, everyone should read the O/M at least once, follow it, and keep it handy for reference, but taking it a step further here and there is a good thing....[img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

Old 04-17-2003, 07:25 PM

I'm assuming you are all referring primarily to the 6MT. Any special rules for the automatic?

Old 04-17-2003, 07:27 PM
O.F. Administrator
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

No bro, same rules apply. [img]/w3timages/icons/smile.gif[/img]

<font color=green>GSM</font color=green>

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: This Break-In Period Sucks