G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

ART pipes vs ...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 12:22 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Tom....
I don't know anyone with Eibach's pro-kit, my concern would be quality of their springs. Better off going with Tein springs and SPL adjusters front and rear.
Gary
Yeah the only reason I was going with eibach is because a good local deal I found but I would much rather have teins. I may end up waiting and finding a pair of 350z stechs. Thanks for all info guys!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by walshtj
Yeah the only reason I was going with eibach is because a good local deal I found but I would much rather have teins. I may end up waiting and finding a pair of 350z stechs. Thanks for all info guys!
With the Tein 350Z S-Techs or any other spring that lowers you coupe that much you'll need both the rear camber/toe adjusters and front camber arms to bring your alignment back to OE specs. Nice coupe Tom....
Gary

Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM
Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts
+1 to gary, i have the SPC front and rear camber kit sitting in my apt waiting for me to get back!!!

if you if as bad as camber as i do you will eat through the inside of your tires like a some biatch. i have already had to replace my rubber within like 5k after i put my Tanabe's on.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:08 PM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Johnnys_Beast_Foo
whats a chamber kit?
Thanks for your input.. Camber* is noted!

Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Xet
suspension is not performance now? suspension is more performance than power mods, even if you are taking about just in a straight line going fast without suspension upgrades is asking for it.
Springs are performance? Money's better off going towards coilovers or sways. Springs are HARDLY performance upgrades, especially for cars like ours which come with decently stiff springs. If you look at most of the aftermarket springs, they're softer than OE. If you wanna upgrade springs for performance, get 350z revised cause any other springs are useless aside from looks.

I have sport springs and I'm content with their performance before going coilovers cause lowering springs, if anything, is going to worsen the handling unless you do go coilover route. I'd say get ART pipes.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm still in ahh about folks persuading TP's. Really though if u respect your car and want a little more power and no consequences than go HFC's. TP's are garbage. If u go that route you'll more or less at least be somewhat unhappy with the results. Save your cash and do things right. Lowering your g rizzle will only make it look better, but without a shock upgrade your only making the appearance better.

Old 02-23-2011, 11:43 PM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by sTeadFasT96
Springs are performance? Money's better off going towards coilovers or sways. Springs are HARDLY performance upgrades, especially for cars like ours which come with decently stiff springs. If you look at most of the aftermarket springs, they're softer than OE. If you wanna upgrade springs for performance, get 350z revised cause any other springs are useless aside from looks.

I have sport springs and I'm content with their performance before going coilovers cause lowering springs, if anything, is going to worsen the handling unless you do go coilover route. I'd say get ART pipes.
Wow.... what a statement. Just keep on thinking what you are thinking even though it doesn't include the increase in handling many springs offer.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:30 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

umm...
when referring to suspension I don't think he just meant springs. Pretty sure he meant a whole coilover kit, sway bars, etc. Also I've never heard lowering your car worsen handling unless you lower it too much, but alright...

Old 02-24-2011, 03:10 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
Wow.... what a statement. Just keep on thinking what you are thinking even though it doesn't include the increase in handling many springs offer.
What handling increase? Have you personally tested the handling dynamics compared to stock in a controlled and scientific manner? Show me some numbers that the majority of SOFTER springs plus the lower height increases handling characteristics and in some way mess up the suspension geometry.

I'll state this again, if anyone wants to improve suspension, get coils and not springs. The majority of springs are aesthetic, coils provide the function.

Originally Posted by azn pho life
umm...
when referring to suspension I don't think he just meant springs. Pretty sure he meant a whole coilover kit, sway bars, etc. Also I've never heard lowering your car worsen handling unless you lower it too much, but alright...
OP is asking about springs along with him stating springs in his response. Also I mentioned exactly what you stated about suspension in general, ei coils and sways etc. I am not argueing coils and such don't improve handling. I'm saying lowering springs don't, at least the majority of ones available for G's cause they're either progressive as hell or softer than OE, which wouldn't that be counter productive?

Last edited by sTeadFasT96; 02-24-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:43 AM
What handling increase? Have you personally tested the handling dynamics compared to stock in a controlled and scientific manner? Show me some numbers that the majority of SOFTER springs plus the lower height increases handling characteristics and in some way mess up the suspension geometry.

I'll state this again, if anyone wants to improve suspension, get coils and not springs. The majority of springs are aesthetic, coils provide the function.

OP is asking about springs along with him stating springs in his response. Also I mentioned exactly what you stated about suspension in general, ei coils and sways etc. I am not argueing coils and such don't improve handling. I'm saying lowering springs don't, at least the majority of ones available for G's cause they're either progressive as hell or softer than OE, which wouldn't that be counter productive?
sorry, I didn't read the coil over part right. I don't know much about the springs available because I don't bother looking When I do suspension upgrades I get the works for 2 reasons handling and adjustable. just getting springs are way too limited.

Old 02-24-2011, 03:48 AM
Received 172 Likes on 135 Posts
i dont understand why you would spend money on just springs lol most of the improvement is done in the strut with the dampening rate. you might as well just upgrade both in one package.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:07 AM
if you're getting $200 I would just save it for coil over kits because if you do get springs later down the road you're going to want to get a coil over kit and camber kits anyways.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:42 AM
Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Xet
suspension is not performance now? suspension is more performance than power mods, even if you are taking about just in a straight line going fast without suspension upgrades is asking for it.
Everyone who "slams" or "dumps" or "drops" their car is doing it because they have "handling" in mind... Right? 90% of the suggestions to lower the car are derived from people thinking it looks better, not because it actually improves performance.

If suspension was in mind, why not do sway/strut bars? Much more practical for DD. In fact, if you wanna get really technical, stiffer springs (Tein 350z S-Techs) will make our cars bounce around more since they won't absorb shock nearly as well as softer springs. That's dangerous if you hit a pot hole or some debris in the road while taking a corner. You're also sacrificing a lot more comfort for stiffer springs. Get sways/strut bar; you'll retain the current comfort (and safety) of your ride while reducing body roll around corners. Best of both worlds if you do in fact have performance in mind and drive your car around town daily. Stiffer springs are for the track where the road surface are tailored for high speeds and don't have holes or debris.

And one more thing about lowering the car: It's awesome when you have to constantly worry about scraping on driveways to the store, speed bumps in parking lots, pot holes in the road... And it's especially awesome when you have to drive further to get around some bad roads or plan alternative routes to get to where you wanna go like some people claim to do.

So OP, unless you plan on auto-crossing, the benefits of HFC/TP are much higher than springs and camber and can be utilized much more. Personally I like to push it pedal to the metal off the line or getting on the freeway rather than taking a corner at the maximum speed my car can physically handle. If you don't plan on doing the latter or aren't concerned about the apparent 4x4 look some people claim everyone who doesn't have "dumped" cars have, get the ART pipes.

TL;DR: HFC/TP > Suspension for DD purposes IMO.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by xdEnbOyx
Everyone who "slams" or "dumps" or "drops" their car is doing it because they have "handling" in mind... Right? 90% of the suggestions to lower the car are derived from people thinking it looks better, not because it actually improves performance.

If suspension was in mind, why not do sway/strut bars? Much more practical for DD. In fact, if you wanna get really technical, stiffer springs (Tein 350z S-Techs) will make our cars bounce around more since they won't absorb shock nearly as well as softer springs. That's dangerous if you hit a pot hole or some debris in the road while taking a corner. You're also sacrificing a lot more comfort for stiffer springs. Get sways/strut bar; you'll retain the current comfort (and safety) of your ride while reducing body roll around corners. Best of both worlds if you do in fact have performance in mind and drive your car around town daily. Stiffer springs are for the track where the road surface are tailored for high speeds and don't have holes or debris.

And one more thing about lowering the car: It's awesome when you have to constantly worry about scraping on driveways to the store, speed bumps in parking lots, pot holes in the road... And it's especially awesome when you have to drive further to get around some bad roads or plan alternative routes to get to where you wanna go like some people claim to do.
Wow what is up with the noobs in this thread....

First of all how many springs do you know of that dump a g35? There truly aren't any that actually dump the car. And have you driven on any springs and witnessed this unsafe rebound from potholes? You aren't riding on blocks of steel buddy, people wouldn't be buying and recommending so many springs if they all made the car unstable and unsafe. Furthermore, a spring upgrade is great for increasing handling while also improve aesthetics.

And you being too poor of a driver to have that much of a problem driving a car just lowered on springs.. I'm not going to even touch that one.

And why not struts or sways? Simply because he didn't mention those as options for him. I'm simply answering between his two proposed options, I would have compared a spacer or mrev2 to springs depending on his engine to springs rather than ART pipes for a first mod personally.

Going faster and faster? Sure that's fine but ART pipes is hardly the right mod to do first if he is trying to build his mods but has limited funds atm. Furthermore, what do people always say when someone starts building a car for racing, whether it be straight line or course,etc? Brakes and suspension should always be done first.

Your final sentence just proves how little of a clue you actually have. Go talk to suspension gurus and ask them what is the best pure performance setup for our cars. Independent struts paired with springs are much better oriented for performance than coils.

Old 02-24-2011, 12:20 PM
Originally Posted by Xet
Your final sentence just proves how little of a clue you actually have. Go talk to suspension gurus and ask them what is the best pure performance setup for our cars. Independent struts paired with springs are much better oriented for performance than coils.
Lets keep this on topic right? Springs seem to be the topic, nothing more nothing less. Also it'd seem to make more sense that coilovers which contain components made for each other would work better than a very generic strut setup with general springs. I doubt people from Tokico planned on having struts that specifically worked with Tein H springs.

My point (to make it clear) is that lowering springs by themselves (which is what was originally asked and appears to be the topic of discussion) are not as functional in terms of handling performance relative to OE sport suspension.

Edit: In regards to your response to the other guy about brakes and suspension. I completely agree with you, but the aftermarket spring selection for our cars are once again SOFTER or very progressive compared to the OE springs, so wouldn't that be counter productive considering the general rule of thumb is that a reasonable amount of stiffness is desired?

Last edited by sTeadFasT96; 02-24-2011 at 12:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ART pipes vs ...