G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

2004 coupe 105,000 miles...What needs to be done?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dragonv
Do timing belts, water pumps, etc need to to be changed?
If you google it, you can find out exactly what they do...

Found this:

http://www.infinitiusa.com/ownership...schedules.html

Last edited by Fadil13; 03-17-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am not sure when the last time the belts have been replaced. Also the service engine light went out for like a day or so but then turned on again. Is that normal?

Old 03-20-2011, 11:59 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark2K8
....$3k for 90k miles!????

My car is around 88k mileage and that has got me worried.
the paper work has ~1600$ in parts and BS, and the rest was labor charges. so.... mostly labor rapes you. my car did get new front and rear rotors and pads tho on top of everything else, 1 year ago.

I could scan all the papers if someone wants to see what most of the usual services are.

Last edited by Affalterbach; 03-21-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:54 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Affalterbach

I could scan all the papers if someone wants to see what most of the usual services are.
That would be awesome.

Old 03-21-2011, 12:55 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris'sG
Well if you go to a dealer ship you can expect to pay a lot more than a regular mechanic. Anyways if it didn't come with any records maybe you need to do the regular 100k service.
This is kind of a no-brainer. I'm sure anyone could figure that out.

Anyways, one thing I know for sure that needs to be replaced at 105k are spark plugs; my service advisor warned me about that (my G is at 98.6k miles). Check the belts for any cracks, plus the level of cooling system fluid. Do the brakes squeal? How about tire pressure/tire tread? Also check the air filter, if its very filthy you may want to replace it.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 AM
Originally Posted by felixsc300
This is kind of a no-brainer. I'm sure anyone could figure that out.

Anyways, one thing I know for sure that needs to be replaced at 105k are spark plugs; my service advisor warned me about that (my G is at 98.6k miles). Check the belts for any cracks, plus the level of cooling system fluid. Do the brakes squeal? How about tire pressure/tire tread? Also check the air filter, if its very filthy you may want to replace it.
My brakes squeel a little little bit. Like when I first turn the car on and get out of my garage. But once I drive for a bit they go away...

Old 03-21-2011, 03:13 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark2K8
My brakes squeel a little little bit. Like when I first turn the car on and get out of my garage. But once I drive for a bit they go away...

Squealing brakes doesn't necessarily indicate worn brakes. Both my G and my IS had brakes that were replaced within the last year and they still steal squeal from time to time. I was told this is normal, there is a "break-in" period. Who knew. Its annoying and can be misleading to other people, but we just have to live with it.

In your case I wouldn't worry too much about it; its normal for brakes to squeal first thing in the morning due to sitting for a prolonged period of time overnight. If it goes away once you start driving, then I wouldn't fret about it at all. But it won't hurt to ask your mechanic to check when you're in for service (most do this for free); if anything it'll give you a time frame of when you should start saving up for new brakes.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:42 AM
Squealing brakes doesn't necessarily indicate worn brakes. Both my G and my IS had brakes that were replaced within the last year and they still steal squeal from time to time. I was told this is normal, there is a "break-in" period. Who knew. Its annoying and can be misleading to other people, but we just have to live with it.

In your case I wouldn't worry too much about it; its normal for brakes to squeal first thing in the morning due to sitting for a prolonged period of time overnight. If it goes away once you start driving, then I wouldn't fret about it at all. But it won't hurt to ask your mechanic to check when you're in for service (most do this for free); if anything it'll give you a time frame of when you should start saving up for new brakes.
Thanks for that info!

Old 03-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
The back of the brake pads need to be greased, that will help keep them from squealing. I had a problem with this not too long ago, I bought new pads because my car was squealing loudly. When I went to swap them out I noticed the old pads were barely worn and identical in size to the new pads. I threw the new pads on anyways and they still squealed.

Go get some brake grease and that should fix it.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mine just crossed 100k as well .. still runs great and no major issues other than having to spend a fortune on a Brembo brake job.
all 4 rotors pads and all hardware worn out..
dealer wanted 3k..
went private paid 1100.. with lifetime warranty on the pads.

I believe the 100k service the dealer wants the timing chain replaced.
if so that's big money right there..
but I know alot of people say don't bother on the chain as the failure rate is VERY low.

I put nearly 35k on my car this year alone..

Old 03-21-2011, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by Houston5.0Jay
Mine just crossed 100k as well .. still runs great and no major issues other than having to spend a fortune on a Brembo brake job.
all 4 rotors pads and all hardware worn out..
dealer wanted 3k..
went private paid 1100.. with lifetime warranty on the pads.

I believe the 100k service the dealer wants the timing chain replaced.
if so that's big money right there..
but I know alot of people say don't bother on the chain as the failure rate is VERY low.

I put nearly 35k on my car this year alone..

35K or 3.5k?

When you say private, do you mean a private company, or somebody you know that does the work?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:07 PM
Originally Posted by Fadil13
35K or 3.5k?

When you say private, do you mean a private company, or somebody you know that does the work?
nope 35k. as in 35 thousand miles in 11 months..

and yeh I took it to a regular mechanic shop instead of dealer.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:36 AM
nope 35k. as in 35 thousand miles in 11 months..

and yeh I took it to a regular mechanic shop instead of dealer.

Thank you Man! Now I do not feel like I'm all alone spending so much cash on my 05 118k miles (95k on engine and trans, since they were replaced at aroud 23k) coupe.. If I have to replace every part of my G, that what I will do - I love my car and will do whatever it takes to make it everything I want it to be... My wife doesn't understand this, she says why don't you just buy a new one...? To that I reply "Either you're one of us, or you're not" There is no explanation to our insanity...

Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by Fadil13
Thank you Man! Now I do not feel like I'm all alone spending so much cash on my 05 118k miles (95k on engine and trans, since they were replaced at aroud 23k) coupe.. If I have to replace every part of my G, that what I will do - I love my car and will do whatever it takes to make it everything I want it to be... My wife doesn't understand this, she says why don't you just buy a new one...? To that I reply "Either you're one of us, or you're not" There is no explanation to our insanity...
Yeh I love the 03.. yeh it was a gen1 and lacks a few of the features that came in later years (would love a smart key and a revup) but I do love my car as well.. but at the same time it does have the Brembos and the 6MT package which was very nice and sets it apart from alot of other G's

I have plans for mine as well.. wheels, paint, and some minor body work and a few body parts are first and foremost as well as preventative maintenance like a clutch I think. not too worried about the engine itself at all so many stories here of the VQ running well past 200K and still not showing any wear..
but for my own piece of mind may rebuild in as it approaches 200k anyway and beef it up a bit at that time.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:54 AM
Yeh I love the 03.. yeh it was a gen1 and lacks a few of the features that came in later years (would love a smart key and a revup) but I do love my car as well.. but at the same time it does have the Brembos and the 6MT package which was very nice and sets it apart from alot of other G's

I have plans for mine as well.. wheels, paint, and some minor body work and a few body parts are first and foremost as well as preventative maintenance like a clutch I think. not too worried about the engine itself at all so many stories here of the VQ running well past 200K and still not showing any wear..
but for my own piece of mind may rebuild in as it approaches 200k anyway and beef it up a bit at that time.
Missed out on the Brembos, but they're in my future as soon as I get this SES thing figure out.. Light came on after installing the SC... Because I lack the ability, and knowledge to do the work myself, it's a little more difficult because I have to rely on somebody else to do the work.. But I''m acquiring a pretty good pit team..but it takes me longer to get that cash together..

Where did you order your replacement brake, rotor etc...? Not sure if it's against the rules, so feel free to PM me....Thanks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2004 coupe 105,000 miles...What needs to be done?