G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Road Trippin'

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-12-2004, 09:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road Trippin'

Just wondering if anyone has done any serious road tripping in their G.

Last weekend, Oct. 28, my Dad and I left South Jersey for Nebraska to bury a close family relative. We drove straight through and switched at every gas stop. Took 19 hours to get there, 1412 miles, with a half hour stop to grab some breakfast in Iowa somewhere. We came home on Nov. 1 and made the 1412 mile trip in 18 hours 2 minutes, calculates to an average speed of 78.3 miles per hour. It is great to do these kind of runs when you have a trusty co-driver, it allows you to sleep during their stints, which were about 4 hours. The stints got a little shorter as we got closer to the east, we were getting wore out.
The G seemed most happy running at between 85 and 90, very stable and good feeling.
We used a Passport 8500 and got no tickets, though it saved us from at least 10.
The only issue encountered was I hit a friggin' dear carcass, well, it looked like the back half of what was left of a deer after a truck obliterated it. I was cruising at around 90mph in the left lane, passing a line of trucks with 3 other cars pretty close behind at around 3 in the morning. It was between the Ohio and Pennsy tolls on 80/76. With little options I straddled the thing and "whoomp", motherf**ker!!!!!!! I wound up with a cracked front bumper and deer meat stuffed in my tranny and rearend crossmembers. The bumper took a crack on the underside, between the front and the little under-spoiler. I buffed out the "leg" mark, and jacked up the car and washed and unpacked the meat out (ewwwwwwwwww). Also "welded" the bumper back together with an old soldering gun, can't even tell, but damn, my baby's nose got broke, sniff.......sniff. No other damage.

Oh yeah, got around 23-24 miles per gallon.

Apart from that little incident, what a great ride. Kind of like cannonball'ing it. My Dad loved it too. He has a '76 Porsche and a '97 Vette, but can't get over the value and quality of my G.

Ok, anybody have any road-trip-in-the-G stories?

JD
2003.5 Coupe, Blk/Blk