G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Looking to build on HP any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 04:13 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You won't really notice a huge difference in power if you just do bolt ons; especially if you don't install them at once. I have all of the bolt ons, except for the hfcs/tps and can't really tell the difference. I do need a tune though.

Old 04-03-2011, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A tune and HFC's make the most difference. The best mod you can do for the money is change the r&p. Ecspecially if you have put larger rims on. It won't add horsepower but it will put the car in its power band. The gears, and a lightweight flywheel will really wake the car up. The power is there just get it to the pavement.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by chaser9478
A tune and HFC's make the most difference. The best mod you can do for the money is change the r&p. Ecspecially if you have put larger rims on. It won't add horsepower but it will put the car in its power band. The gears, and a lightweight flywheel will really wake the car up. The power is there just get it to the pavement.
To add to this changing the final drive (gear ratio) can help but that really depends on what you want to do with it longer term. You can get faster acceleration with say a 3.7 final drive but you would wind up with higher RPM's when cruising, etc.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:04 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Fvck bolt-ons, just go FI.....
First sticky on this page is where you want to start.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:06 AM
if your not going f/i some good mods would be...

z tube/jwt popcharger
MD 5/16" plenum spacer
MD MRev2 manifold
exhaust/y pipe/test pipes
underdrive pulleys
cobb tunning accessport

im naturally aspirated and pushing 284whp on a 03 sedan (:
f/i is next for me tho, only 17, gota save up.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:33 PM
^That sounds like Church's dyno.

I wouldn't recommend the pulleys, at least UR's didn't do anything for my car.

Old 04-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Fvck bolt-ons, just go FI.....
First sticky on this page is where you want to start.
True....^....but since you're obviously new here you need to read all the threads you can without posting new questions that have already been answered. The key to doing so is our SEARCH button located above next to new posts. Hit the SEARCH button and enter HP you'll spend hours reading all the posts.
Gary

Old 04-07-2011, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BonBG35
dont start not worth it.

not to say i dont enjoy the way the car runs now but for an extra 30-40 hp for 3k. compared to the evos, stis, gtis, mustangs price per hp is high.

Im curious- i dont even think you can get 40hp with 3 grand... how are you figuring this math?

Old 04-07-2011, 06:41 AM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Don't do it! It's a money pit! Slam it and drive it!

Or you can do a crazy motor build and dump dollar after dollar in it! That's the way. Start off easy. Powerlab Engineering Turbo system is the best for a budget on FI. Try to stay away from used parts unless you know the person you are buying it from. might cost you more in the long run replacing pieces. I recommend PowerLab because the parts are awesome and I am doing a custom PowerLab Setup. I sold my Greddy twins to do this.
http://intensepower.com/pogtsitukiti.html

Old 04-07-2011, 12:54 PM
^Curious, why did you switch from the Greddy?

Old 04-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
I loved the kit throughout the year and a half or so that I drifted with it. The problem came when it was time to work on the motor. You can't get anything done. It's a show horn to do anything. To many moving parts in there if something were to go wrong. I never had one problem with the Greddy kit or components. It's when something else went wrong I couldn't get to it at the track. The kit offered great low rpm response and good power. 385whp.

I am also all about supporting local businesses or manufacturers who work with locals. The support is awesome on PowerLab, the kit is custom and they worked with me every step of the way. The kit is put together, we are just waiting to machine my block and new pistons to come in. If you look at the Powerlab kit it is simply and functional. The price isn't bad at all.

I will be honest. I also got bored with the greddy kit. I didn't want to tune it, I wanted a full race car. I have a build thread here called "Project cage and slam" The greddy kit does not give me the freedom of the Powerlab kit.

Hopefully that answers your question, if not please let me know or feel free to ask more.

Old 04-07-2011, 01:20 PM
Originally Posted by jrockstarr
Im curious- i dont even think you can get 40hp with 3 grand... how are you figuring this math?
https://g35driver.com/forums/tuner-d...ipe-300hp.html

Old 04-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Received 981 Likes on 662 Posts
Buy an STI

Old 04-07-2011, 01:41 PM
Originally Posted by AlexAZD
I loved the kit throughout the year and a half or so that I drifted with it. The problem came when it was time to work on the motor. You can't get anything done. It's a show horn to do anything. To many moving parts in there if something were to go wrong. I never had one problem with the Greddy kit or components. It's when something else went wrong I couldn't get to it at the track. The kit offered great low rpm response and good power. 385whp.

I am also all about supporting local businesses or manufacturers who work with locals. The support is awesome on PowerLab, the kit is custom and they worked with me every step of the way. The kit is put together, we are just waiting to machine my block and new pistons to come in. If you look at the Powerlab kit it is simply and functional. The price isn't bad at all.

I will be honest. I also got bored with the greddy kit. I didn't want to tune it, I wanted a full race car. I have a build thread here called "Project cage and slam" The greddy kit does not give me the freedom of the Powerlab kit.

Hopefully that answers your question, if not please let me know or feel free to ask more.
Ok, I was just seeing if you had any major problems with it that I wasn't aware of. Been following your other thread, nice project. I've only had the Greddy kit on my car for about a week now so I'm still new to it. I'll agree there isn't any room left in the engine bay. Thanks

Old 04-07-2011, 02:00 PM
Doing things yourself is how you save money. If you have to pay to have a cold air intake installed. Just quit, or call me....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Looking to build on HP any suggestions?