G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

If your trunk light is out, or worse yet, your trunk won't open...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your trunk light is out, or worse yet, your trunk won't open...

Hey guys just thought I would share my exciting adventure this morning...

So, the story starts with my trunk light being out for a long time. I have tried to replace it and it still never worked. I thought nothing of it.

This morning, I wake up to head to school... press the trunk release button. Nothing happens. I'm like, hmm, this is weird.... I check the fuse box. No fuse for the trunk. The trunk lock out switch is also okay... so I move on to the manual and it tells me nothing.

So I decide to head to Nissan. The infiniti guy comes out to help and I tell him my trunk doesnt work. He asks, does your trunk light work? I say no. He says, do you golf? I say no and ask why does that matter. He is like, well, do you use your trunk lots? and im like yeah... and he explains that it's the wiring harness connecting the trunk lid to the car. When you use it lots, the wires slowly fold over themselves and in time, degrade and short out.

Apparently, according to the infiniti guy, the trunk harness houses the cords for the trunk dome light and such and he says that usually is the first to go. If you have a four door, the trunk mounted lights are usually the first to go. So for all of you with out trunk lights, stop using your trunk so much

Anyways, we tested the rest of my lighting for the rear as well. He said that the harness plugs directly into a module that controls much of the rear lighting. So we found that my reverse lights also dont work.... My signal lights are okay and the tail light themselves are still ok. I have an appointment in on Monday to get it fixed. Takes 2 hours and 300 bucks. 200 more if the control module is fried.

I don't know how much of that info is true, but that is what the tech explained. I don't exactly know the wiring schematic by heart haha.

Now this problem wouldnt bother me so much if these cars didnt have the history of having bad wiring. There are countless people on the forums with window problems, a recall on the harness under the passenger seat, and now my trunk harness (which apparently is a problem common enough that the tech knows what it is right away). If you ask me, this isn't the best build quality and design on the wiring in this car... kinda dissapointed really.

Opinions welcome

Old 04-08-2011, 11:48 AM
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Old 04-08-2011, 01:09 PM
Thanks ^. I'll take a look. I'm more complaining about the poor wiring quality though. Like it's ridiculous. These are the only repairs I've had on the g. And they are all over. Poor build I'd say.

Old 04-08-2011, 01:39 PM
I had the same problem a while back. The wires were split. Fixed by following the instructions in the thread above. Took about an hour. I would try that first before dropping $300 on the dealership.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 PM
thanks guys! I got it back together in like 30min haha if ti breaks again im gonna solder in some longer wires. I didnt have any spare wire lying around so i just soldered them back together for now and put the bend point and a different point on the wires.