G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

dealers aftermarket spoiler

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2004, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dealers aftermarket spoiler

when i went to the dealer looking for an 04 coupe they found that matched what i wanted 100miles away, but without the spoiler. so they added that on at a charge of $500. which i assumed was oem, had the upgraded stay arms, etc. looking at it afterwards its aftermarket, attached via only 2 bolts.

today i called my sales person who told me to come in and he'd have me talk with a manager about it, turns out he misunderstood and thought it was leaking already so it was a service manager who blew me off. the sales manager wasn't in, so i'm waiting on him to call me.

my main complaint is the fact that i now don't technically have a warranty on the trunk of my new $36,000 car. that is not acceptable to me and i want it resolved. the service manager kept telling me all the dealers have an agreement to act like its still under warranty when there are problems, thats bs imo. if the sales manager doesn't take care of it i'm going to corporate. i wonder if corporate knows about this agreement all the dealers have?

anyone else have any experience getting this fixed? fixed in my mind involves a new trunk lid to fix the two hole that don't match the oem spoiler, the oem spoiler with the full kit installed.

man i hate car dealers.

Old 11-15-2004, 05:27 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: dealers aftermarket spoiler

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

anyone else have any experience getting this fixed? fixed in my mind involves a new trunk lid to fix the two hole that don't match the oem spoiler, the oem spoiler with the full kit installed.

<hr></blockquote> yeah, i had same thing with mine...only i found out a month into ownership when i opened my trunk and heard SLOSH from the water in the spoiler. It was leaking in from the cheap @ss aftermarket brake light assembly.

I eventually got a new trunk lid (dealership took off a new car on the lot) and OEM spoiler from the selling dealership....and you are right, the trunk, spoiler and related factory warranty was voided when they put the aftermarket one on.

I ended up talking to the regional infiniti rep for my area and sent a couple letters to the owner of the selling dealership. I now know why the aftermarket spoilers cost hundreds less than the OEM one. Good luck.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, limo tint, Phatbox 40g mp3 player

Old 11-16-2004, 09:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can you tell if it is oem vs. aftermarket once it has been installed? Are they attached differently?

Old 11-16-2004, 10:45 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, they attach differently. Aftermarket will have visable holes on the inside of the trunk lid. The brake light assemblies also look different.

03 6MT coupe, red/willow, premium, aero, splash guards, alum pedals, clear corners, limo tint, Phatbox 40g mp3 player

Old 11-16-2004, 11:19 PM

a few ways, the aftermarket will not have upgraded gas stay arms, the oem kit includes upgrades which end in part number am810, normal without the spoiler and thus aftermarket is am800. also if you have a gap under the leds its aftermarket. finally oem is installed by 8-10 bolts, aftermarket is usually only 2. i'll take a few pics of mine to illustrate, won't be able to until thrusday though.

Old 11-18-2004, 02:12 PM

Actually the OEM is only installed with 3 bolts. It has a number of other attach devices though. I bought an OEM one from EverythingG35.com. Had the diffusers and came in a Nissan box with replacement cylinders and Nissan directions. They have 3 bolts, six plastic-snap in mounts and a large grommeted hole for the wiring harness. It's really quite simple to mount, but scary as hell drilling holes into your trunk lid. BIG holes too. I think 6 of them (plastic snap mount ones) were like 11/16, the three bolt holes were 13/16, and the wiring harness grommet was like 15/16 or something like that. The mounting template makes it pretty easy to do, just lay it on there, tape it up and drill away. Then go drink some beer to recover your nerves....

Old 11-18-2004, 03:15 PM

I believe the aftermarket spoiler also has the rear brake light in the rear window. The spoilers installed at the factory remove the brake light on the rear deck lid.