G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

what engines will work in 03 coupe?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what engines will work in 03 coupe?

can anyone tell me what engines will work in a 03 g35 coupe? will a sedan engine work? 350z engine? what years? anything that needs to be changed or swapped over? thanks.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Athens Blue G35 Coupe 6MT
Wellllllllll......

A VQ35DE for sure. The 03 and 04 have the same engine as you, so start there. I don't know if a rev up from the 05-07 MT coupes will work or not. If you're planning on replacing an engine, please consult an expert.

Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Originally Posted by anynigma
Wellllllllll......

A VQ35DE for sure. The 03 and 04 have the same engine as you, so start there. I don't know if a rev up from the 05-07 MT coupes will work or not. If you're planning on replacing an engine, please consult an expert.
thanks for the heads up. yes i know the rev up is different.

i am just trying to confirm because the computer system that the junk yard guys use say the engines are different between sedan and coupe. the sedan engine is much cheaper than the coupe engine too.

so if i get a 03 sedan engine, it will work no problems? or are there sensors that i have to swap over or something. thanks.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm not telling you to search because your question in inappropriate, and I wish I had better information for you, but I honestly don't know the answer to that question and I think you can find it faster if you try some searches. They are the same base engine I believe, but I don't know if they have different components that would need to be swapped. Try searching to see if someone has done this before, maybe even on google.

This is the best I could find after 5 min. Doesn't answer the sedan question clearly or not, but might imply that an 03 or 04 sedan engine would work. Best of luck.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...gine-help.html

Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by anynigma
I'm not telling you to search because your question in inappropriate, and I wish I had better information for you, but I honestly don't know the answer to that question and I think you can find it faster if you try some searches. They are the same base engine I believe, but I don't know if they have different components that would need to be swapped. Try searching to see if someone has done this before, maybe even on google.

This is the best I could find after 5 min. Doesn't answer the sedan question clearly or not, but might imply that an 03 or 04 sedan engine would work. Best of luck.

https://g35driver.com/forums/engine-...gine-help.html
i actually did do a lot of searching already but no one has a direct and confirmed answer. thanks.

Old 04-11-2011, 12:29 PM
Originally Posted by JZeezG35
VQ baby!!
this guy literally posted something in EVERY thread on the first page.

Old 04-11-2011, 01:35 PM
i actually did do a lot of searching already but no one has a direct and confirmed answer. thanks.
Hey man, that's good to know, and since you did and can't find the answer you're looking for we need some experts here. Knowing the OP has done some searching, and posted this here and in the Engine Tech section, where he didn't have any responses when I last checked, Does anyone have some experience installing a sedan engine in a coupe? We really want to know what engines can go into a 03 coupe without having to replace electronics or other components?

this guy literally posted something in EVERY thread on the first page.
Yea, its normal for people to post in the threads they can contribute to on the first page. GaryC, one of the most helpful dudes on the forum does that all the time. In JZeez case, his contributions are probably more questionable. Maybe he just wants to get up to 100 posts so he can list something for sale or want to buy...

Old 04-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hmm

Old 04-11-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm not really sure. You could try asking this question on 6MT.net - that forum doesn't get as much traffic as this one, but there's a couple guys on there who are very knowlegeable about everything G35.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:13 PM
well i have seen a sr20det, a 2jz, rb26, titan 5.6, ls1 and ls2… on and a cummins 350z… it all comes down to how much skill/ money you have…

Old 04-12-2011, 01:10 AM
I just replaced my 03 engine, I found out that the 03 coupe engine is the basically the same as the sedan with the exception that the compression ratio is higher on the coupe. On the coupe, only premium is recommended, while on the sedan and grade of gasoline is recommended. they are the same engine, but the performance that you expect will be slightly different. A 04 engine will also work, that is what i put in mine. I ended up using the same wiring harness and cmptr of my original car and I have not had any problems-what so ever, absolutely none.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:11 AM
I meant to say that on the sedan, any grade of gasoline is recommended.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:16 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Small block Chevy

Old 04-12-2011, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by matador50
I just replaced my 03 engine, I found out that the 03 coupe engine is the basically the same as the sedan with the exception that the compression ratio is higher on the coupe. On the coupe, only premium is recommended, while on the sedan and grade of gasoline is recommended. they are the same engine, but the performance that you expect will be slightly different. A 04 engine will also work, that is what i put in mine. I ended up using the same wiring harness and cmptr of my original car and I have not had any problems-what so ever, absolutely none.
i wish you were right about the compression ratio thing but from my research, i find that to be false.

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/...ecs_price.html

but i am glad we got someone who confirmed putting the 2004 engine into his 2003 vehicle.

can you confirm if you put a sedan engine into your coupe?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts
^ You are going to have to change the wiring harness and little things like that. If your serious about this Id take it to a reputable shop in your area and start talking to them.. GL

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: what engines will work in 03 coupe?