G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Painting headlight shroud?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painting headlight shroud?

So I finally got my suspension done and the car lowered and I swear I must have bottomed out somewhere and pushed the headlights by way of the bumper as both shrouds on the headlight (chrome part) cracked after 2 days. More than a coincidence! So my question is I know I can repair the cracks lord knows I have fixed worse but on a 04 who has painted the tunnel to the bulb, in other words everything that is silver other than the immediate bulb area for the beam to throw. I can't imagine the inset to the bulb aids in the beam projection as the light bounces off the rear bucket. Anyone done this and can post a pic? All the searches I've done just bring up the outer peice on the foward surface painted and the insets still silver.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:03 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the crack in the bezels are oem. didnt know? as long just paint the bezel and not the reflector then your good.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:18 AM
The crack is intentional? I don't recall it ever being there when I was polishing the lenses. Maybe it swelled a bit with the humidity and warmer weather? Either way I way going to paint it and wasn't sure if doing them all and not being projectors would look like ****.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the crack isnt intentional, but ask anyone, almost every with 03-04 headlights have/has had the crack. besides painting the bezel, you going to do anything else while you have the lens off?

Old 04-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I would like to do the halos and strip lights as well as change the indicator to clear. I may for the time being just swap the indicator and delete the strip light for the time being. I just did radius arms, toe arms, front control arms springs and whiteline bushings as well as replaced the rear upper control arms, drop links and had to pay taxes to uncle Sam! Also did the N1 lip new tires and wheels.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:56 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PorschePhD
So I finally got my suspension done and the car lowered and I swear I must have bottomed out somewhere and pushed the headlights by way of the bumper as both shrouds on the headlight (chrome part) cracked after 2 days. More than a coincidence! So my question is I know I can repair the cracks lord knows I have fixed worse but on a 04 who has painted the tunnel to the bulb, in other words everything that is silver other than the immediate bulb area for the beam to throw. I can't imagine the inset to the bulb aids in the beam projection as the light bounces off the rear bucket. Anyone done this and can post a pic? All the searches I've done just bring up the outer peice on the foward surface painted and the insets still silver.
This is a good question, i was actually starring at my headlights yesterday wondering the same exact thing...

Last edited by Keggr626; 04-24-2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 04-24-2011, 08:59 PM
I would like to do the halos and strip lights as well as change the indicator to clear. I may for the time being just swap the indicator and delete the strip light for the time being. I just did radius arms, toe arms, front control arms springs and whiteline bushings as well as replaced the rear upper control arms, drop links and had to pay taxes to uncle Sam! Also did the N1 lip new tires and wheels.
How do u plan on changing the indicator? I also wanna do this but I'm thinking If it doesn't pop out i might have to do some dremmeling and fabricating

Old 04-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Not sure yet since I haven't pulled them apart yet but will post up pics when I do them.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:49 AM
Not sure yet since I haven't pulled them apart yet but will post up pics when I do them.
Alright cool... looking forward