G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Rattles rattles and more rattles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2011, 07:00 PM
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Rattles rattles and more rattles

I've owned my car new since Sept 2003. It has 44,000 miles on it and is used as a second driver as well as being completely stock. My biggest complaint since the beginning and has only gotten worse over time is the overal fit and finish issues that causes endless rattling throughout the interior of the car. What bothers me the most is that I'm driving an Infiniti which supposely is a luxury brand. What's crazy about it all is I drive on smooth Florida roads with 17s and the car still sounds like an orchestra of rattles, mostly coming form the console dash area but there is more elsewhere almost everyday. I remember when I first got the car there were so many members complaining about it and trying everything to find them. It's quite useless because if one is fixed 2 more show up. I'm not happy but still love the car for it's looks and performance. It's not a perfect world.

Old 05-04-2011, 07:43 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
My rear view mirrow rattles slightly, the headliner as well near the sun roof and on the back where it meets with the rear glass. My passenger door rattles as well so I stuff a water bottle in it or rags. The dash and console area do too, just a bit, but I don't think I want to mess with any of that.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
You know it might take a significant effort on your part but, every rattle has a cause and a fix. A significant number of rattles have been addressed by TSBs and fixes can be found on infinitihelp. Copies of the Infiniti service manual have been posted and are available free which explains the correct way to take things apart and put them back together. As you can see by my sig I own a Mercedes-Benz also. You read rattle complaints on the MB forum as well on $65,000 to over $100,000 cars often with matching similar complaints from former BMW and Audi owners. It's not unique to Infiniti. My suggestion...find them and fix them. Remember Infiniti charges $100.00 an hour labor and they aren't going to invest alot of time with your rattles. Not much profit there.

The following users liked this post:
Blue Dream (06-07-2011)
Old 05-04-2011, 10:29 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I fixed my center console, rear deck, rearview mirror and pasenger window from ratteling... My pasenger window recently started rattleing again and my dash where my navi cd rom is started rattleing too, guess i gotta open my door up again and figure something out for the dash

Last edited by Keggr626; 05-04-2011 at 11:38 PM. Reason: corrected spelling
Old 05-04-2011, 11:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
You know it might take a significant effort on your part but, every rattle has a cause and a fix. A significant number of rattles have been addressed by TSBs and fixes can be found on infinitihelp. Copies of the Infiniti service manual have been posted and are available free which explains the correct way to take things apart and put them back together. As you can see by my sig I own a Mercedes-Benz also. You read rattle complaints on the MB forum as well on $65,000 to over $100,000 cars often with matching similar complaints from former BMW and Audi owners. It's not unique to Infiniti. My suggestion...find them and fix them. Remember Infiniti charges $100.00 an hour labor and they aren't going to invest alot of time with your rattles. Not much profit there.
Can you direct me to some of these rattle related TSBs? I looked on the site and cant find any rattle related ones.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:41 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BlkCoupe
^well said..also check your suspension / tires. If anything is worn or if your tire pressures are too high or u have low profiles you will transmit alot more road vibrations/bumps through the body and into the cabin.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:52 PM
Thanks for your suggestiong BlkCoupe. Unfortunately I'm not geat at getting things back together after I take them apart. I did manage to get rid of the rear view mirror rattles by upgrading the mirror to the newer Gentex and the dealer covered it under warranty. I remember in the very early days after this car first arrived...reading about a member who actually removed everything step by step on the console and part of the dash, insulated wherever he could and claimed he had a quieter improved ride. He had ever step shown on another forum. I'm sure with the proper efforts and time anything can be done. It's just that our cars have so many hard plastics without real felt or soft material were they should join together. Thanks for all your help.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 PM
Originally Posted by coupetech
^well said..also check your suspension / tires. If anything is worn or if your tire pressures are too high or u have low profiles you will transmit alot more road vibrations/bumps through the body and into the cabin.
When I ordered my car from the factory, I specifically avoided the 18s and kept the standard 17s for the more compliant ride with 30lbs all around. Unfortunately it didn't seem to avoid the rattles.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:53 PM
After much frustration I decided to take my Coupe to Infiniti to address the annoying console rattle. Although I knew it would not be covered under my extended warranty, I was willing to bite the bullet and pay to have it gone! I have a good relationship with the service manager for the last 5 years. He went for a drive with me and told me the "good news" is that we can hear it. "That's half the battle". I left the car and took a loaner. The tech found the problem the next day. It was a bracket behind the passenger airbag causing the metallic annoyance. I'm now a happy owner again and there was no charge! I've decided that the majority of the minor rattles can be resolved with felt backing. My car is now driveable again. End of story.

Old 06-07-2011, 05:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mine did the same thing

Old 06-09-2011, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my rear view mirror used to rattle, i did the diy mod now its perfect