G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Future plans Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Future plans Advice

Hello all,
I've finally started the slow process of modding my 06 5AT Coupe and I've got a few questions that I've had difficulty searching for. Since its a DD and an automatic I'm not looking for a fire breathing beast, just a lil extra pep and to make the exterior a little more refined. If you got a minute to read this, I'm open to suggestion/critique.

Power:
I needed to replace my air filter so I chose to go with a K&N for the power/lifetime advantages. I went ahead and ordered a Copper Iso Thermal Spacer since they seem to be worth their weight in gold! My question stems from the plenum porting tested in THIS_PAGE. Would this see gains in addition to the spacer? The results page seems a bit ambiguous about this. Also, can the spacer and porting be accomplished while retaining the stock engine cover? I'm looking to go for an OEM look and that would be cool if it would.

I'm nearing 60k so I'm looking to get my belts replaced, so Im kicking around the idea of a UDP. I know the controversy regarding harmonic dampening but I'm not too concerned about that as of this moment. For any current/previous owners of this product, are there noticeable increases in acceleration? Is it worth it and would you suggest doing this?

My previous ride was a supercharged focus with a HFC and a gutted hatch. It was loud! I'm not looking for that kind of extra noise again and I already appreciate the stock exhaust note but I'm planning to get an Osiris flash eventually and I wonder, by keeping the stock exhaust am I completely negating any gains from it? I've read the flash will help with shift points and throttle response and maybe even a few ponies but I dont want to pay damn near $500 if keeping the stock exhaust setup negates the majority of its effectiveness.

Exterior:
I've got some mild tint already and it will suffice for the look I'm going for as well as some clear corners. I love the way the OEM wheels look on the car but I hate that they're sunken in so much! I'm looking to do a mild drop in the future maybe 2-3 inches at max but I'd like to get some spacers to get the rims a bit more flush without having to roll the fenders.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't know too much about the porting, but the Motordyne plenum spacer is a good buy. If you bought the 5/16" spacer, then you will still be able to use your OEM engine cover. I think the cover won't fit with the 1/2" spacer.

In my opinion the Osiris tune won't really be worth it if you're keeping the entire stock exhaust system. If you really want to retain the stock exhaust note, then you can keep the stock cat-back and just get high-flow cats. I had Fast Intentions HFCs on my car for a while with the stock cat-back, and the exhaust note didn't change much...just a little more aggressive with the HFCs. Also, the Nismo S-Tune cat-back retains the stock note pretty well.

2-3 inches isn't a "mild drop"...it's a lot! I think most people go with 20-25 mm spacers to get the OEM 19"s flush. There are plenty of posts that show pics of OEM 19"s with spacers, just do a search.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Don't mean to go off topic, but I don't understand that website you posted...

Having a new OEM filter gives you 8 extra hp than having a ztube/k&n filter combo?
And buying a MD 5/16 spacer only yields 1hp gain?

Am i reading it wrong or something?

Old 06-01-2011, 07:12 PM
The only comparison of what I would consider CAI's seems to be
1 <---- as a baseline and 7 - 16 as the CAI's that tested.

The thing thats kinda counterintuitive is that number 7 and 16 "should" see noticeable differences as a wide open stock intake "should" flow better than a stock intake with a "restriction" (Even if it is a fresh filter). This only makes sense to me in the case that the CAI isn't the bottleneck in the intake tract and either the engine is already has enough air to function as designed.

More importantly what that chart tells me is, there is only an average of 4 hp difference per intake. No need to spend 300 bux with a filter+ztube will give similar gains at that level of engine modification.

If I'm wrong I'd really appreciate clarification as it is quite confusing.

Old 06-07-2011, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my 2 cents leave it stock as possible

Old 06-08-2011, 09:43 PM
Its official. I'm mechanically retarded! It took me 3 hours to do the Copper Isothermal spacer install. It wouldnt have been so bad but I had some major issues getting the pipes over the new copper pipes. Other than that and the fact that I spaced on the vacuum lines on reinstall, the instructions were pretty straight forward! I most likely over torqued the bolts on the tb but it doesnt seem to be leaking or anything. I also installed the ztube and its got a pretty gnarly sound at 3k+

Next round will be a m2 hr y pipe and test pipes

Old 06-08-2011, 10:32 PM
Received 770 Likes on 604 Posts
Do you have a plenum spacer? Spacer + HFC's + Osiris (custom tune) will produce decent gains.

Upgrading to 3.7+ gearing will improve acceleration in the lower gears, if you don't mind your speedometer being a little off.

Old 06-08-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah I just installed it tonight and it was a giant pain in the ***! So far I just have the spacer, the ztube, and the K&N drop in. Im pretty excited about them because they have already made positive improvements in sound and performance.

Old 06-09-2011, 02:29 AM
Premier Member

Received 421 Likes on 339 Posts
Good choice on the Z-tube and K&N filter, with the spacer I would recommend HFC or test pipes and leaving the rest of the exhaust stock , or possibly getting a used HR Y-pipe the the Osiris tune. The biggest improvement that you're going to feel right away comes from syncing the throttle, and it'll make you very happy. Not even thinking about the gains better driving experience that come from a custom dyno tune by an Uprev protuner. You won't be disappointed, but don't do the pullies. Not worth it for the additional risk. Also, an "e-tune" is NOT the same as a dyno tune by an uprev protuner, if there's a certified shop within a 4 hours of you I would seriously consider traveling to get it done.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Had you gone with the MotorDyne spacer I could tell you if you'll be able to keep your engine cover, never heard of cooper. I know of several members that have polished/ported the inside of their plenums but they never mentioned any advantages, no "Oh wows." Under Drive Pulleys don't offer any advantages and often cause damage....pass! If you want an increase in HP get BERK'S HFCs, most of the restriction in your exhaust system is within the OE cats....your system will sound better too. You will receive more RWHP with the Osiris tune regardless of mods but it's better to get them first. Are you serious, a 2" to 3" drop isn't moderate that's extreme. The only way to do that is with coilovers and you'll need the complete camber kit at a cost of no less than $3K+. You can use spacers to bring your wheels out, do a "SEARCH spacers" for the size needed for your model.
Gary

Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 AM
Xet
Received 171 Likes on 143 Posts
If you really want to maximize power, go with ART pipes instead of the other tp's and a motordyne exhaust. Then add an osiris tune and you will have a huge difference. You can replace the motordyne exhaust with another cheaper option if you don't mind losing a couple of hp, but the ART pipes are really that much better than any of the other tp's.

Old 06-09-2011, 10:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i went 25/25 ichiba v2 spacers. quite flush.

The following users liked this post:
blkthunder (06-09-2011)
Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by gary c
Had you gone with the MotorDyne spacer I could tell you if you'll be able to keep your engine cover, never heard of cooper. I know of several members that have polished/ported the inside of their plenums but they never mentioned any advantages, no "Oh wows." Under Drive Pulleys don't offer any advantages and often cause damage....pass! If you want an increase in HP get BERK'S HFCs, most of the restriction in your exhaust system is within the OE cats....your system will sound better too. You will receive more RWHP with the Osiris tune regardless of mods but it's better to get them first. Are you serious, a 2" to 3" drop isn't moderate that's extreme. The only way to do that is with coilovers and you'll need the complete camber kit at a cost of no less than $3K+. You can use spacers to bring your wheels out, do a "SEARCH spacers" for the size needed for your model.
Gary
THIS is what I installed last night. I was able to get the stock cover back on too!

About the drop... That sucks!!! I came from the Focus world and a 2" drop only required a set of springs with shocks/struts and some $40 camber bolts. I'm not an auto-x or huge suspension junkie, so for the drop I was considering doing the Spring Mount Mod for a cheap alternative. To be perfectly honest the drop will be the absolute last thing i'll be doing and is very low priority to me.

Last edited by blkthunder; 06-09-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:58 AM
Originally Posted by Xet
If you really want to maximize power, go with ART pipes instead of the other tp's and a motordyne exhaust. Then add an osiris tune and you will have a huge difference. You can replace the motordyne exhaust with another cheaper option if you don't mind losing a couple of hp, but the ART pipes are really that much better than any of the other tp's.
I'm not worried about max power and I cannot justify spending 500 on art pipes when I can get a set of resonated test pipes AND a HR Y pipe from M2 for nearly half the cost. But I do appreciate the input

Old 06-09-2011, 11:34 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gary c
Are you serious, a 2" to 3" drop isn't moderate that's extreme. The only way to do that is with coilovers and you'll need the complete camber kit at a cost of no less than $3K+.Gary
Seriously? For Coilovers + Camber kit 3K? Or were you including the other mods + tune in that price?

BC Racing Coilovers + SPC Front + Rear Camber kit ran me $1400. All brand new, purchased from vendors on this site.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Future plans Advice