G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

License Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
License Question

Anyone know when the points on your license get cleared? I've gotten 3 tickets in the past 6 months (17,18, and 21 over - the 18 over one today ). I have about 7 points on my license and it takes 15 in GA to get it suspended. Needless to say, at this rate I'm hoping my license is cleared soon.

If anyone here lives around Atlanta, I'm sure you're familiar with 285. The speed limit is 55 (which is BS considering it's a major highway) but you'll get run over if you go that slow. I seem to be the unlucky one that gets pulled over going ~70 when the entire left hand lane is doing about the same speed.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:11 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You're being targeted either because of your age or what you drive along with quite possibly how you drive. You may consider the 55 MPH speed limit on this particular highway stupid and it may be but....unless you want to lose your license you need to comply! We've all been thru what you're experiencing. Does the DMV in GA. have classes you can take to get those tickets off your record. Here in CA. we can even take them on line, beats sitting in a classroom for hours. Slow down, get smart! G/L
Gary

Old 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I really don't drive all that crazy I usually watch me speed and try to never go more than 8-10mph over. I am younger (23) so that doesn't help but I still seem to be the unlucky one that gets pulled over when other people are doing almost the same speed. My G is almost stock (clear corners and z tube) so I don't stand out much at all.

I'll have to look into classes like that. I really don't want to give away another $180.

Thanks for all the info/advice. Do you know when points on your license are cleared though?

Old 06-10-2011, 10:38 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
You're driving on average 20 MPH over the posted speed limit, that has a lot to do with why you're being cited. See about the classes and don't exceed 6 MPH over the speed limit and see if that doesn't reduce how many times they pull you over. Not sure how long it takes to clear your record in GA....call DMV.
Gary

Old 06-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Calling the DMV is your best bet since it probably vaires state by state. I know here in WA. tickets stay on your record for 3 years.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:40 PM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by rdeverett
I really don't drive all that crazy I usually watch me speed and try to never go more than 8-10mph over. I am younger (23) so that doesn't help but I still seem to be the unlucky one that gets pulled over when other people are doing almost the same speed. My G is almost stock (clear corners and z tube) so I don't stand out much at all.

I'll have to look into classes like that. I really don't want to give away another $180.

Thanks for all the info/advice. Do you know when points on your license are cleared though?
Cops tend to pull over sports cars.

I got a ticket for doing 10 over, couple months back. I was on the right lane, going with the flow (cars on the left of me were going even faster than me), but they were all minivans and SUVs, so the cop went for me instead...

Old 06-10-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
The DMV keeps a public record of all your traffic convictions and collisions. Each occurrence stays on your record for 36 months, or longer, depending on the type of conviction.

The Negligent Operator Treatment System (NOTS) is based on negligent operator points and consists of a computer generated series of warning letters and progressive sanctions against the driving privilege.

You may be considered a negligent operator, when your driving record shows one of the following "point count" totals.

* 4 points in 12 months
* 6 points in 24 months
* 8 points in 36 months

Some examples of one point violations:

* A traffic conviction.
* An at-fault collision.

Some examples of two point violations:

* Reckless driving or hit-and-run driving
* Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs
* Driving while driver license is suspended or revoked

If you get 4 points in 12 months, you will lose your driver license. A violation received in a commercial vehicle carries one and one-half times the point count normally assessed. For detailed point count information refer to the California Commercial Driver Handbook.

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/hdbk/actions_aps_court.htm

This is for California only.

Old 06-10-2011, 06:40 PM
I know in cali when you get a ticket, you can go to driving school to take off the point. Also you have to get some type of requests to go to level 2 traffic school if you have 2 tickets you want cleared. Which is 16 hours of traffic school.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:12 AM
4 points in 12 months in California and you lose your license!?! wow I'm glad I'm in GA then. I would have lost my license 3 months ago...

Old 06-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by rdeverett
4 points in 12 months in California and you lose your license!?! wow I'm glad I'm in GA then. I would have lost my license 3 months ago...
Their system is different (well its simple math reduction).

Over here in fl its 12 points in 12 months, but its 3 points for speeding/traffic violation. Cali is 4 points in 12 months, but 1 for speeding/traffic

u see how its basically same thing except cali is reduced points system

i think most states are like this

Old 06-11-2011, 03:44 AM
Their system is different (well its simple math reduction).

Over here in fl its 12 points in 12 months, but its 3 points for speeding/traffic violation. Cali is 4 points in 12 months, but 1 for speeding/traffic

u see how its basically same thing except cali is reduced points system

i think most states are like this
In that case, I'll probably be getting a letter in the mail soon with some kind of warning about my license being suspended if it happens 1 or 2 more times.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:32 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Were you never offered traffic school for any of them? If not, that's harsh. I really got lucky I got the option for traffic school on my ticket for doing 98. I could have been hit with reckless driving as well.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:45 AM
Nope, I've never been offered traffic school. I took some classes when I was 15 in order to decrease my insurance cost. Not sure if that's the same type of course. I would definitely take an online class if it was offered to me.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
i see, traffic school makes it so those points don't show up on your record and insurance companies don't know about them. well for Cali, i don't know if the whole USA is like that.

Old 06-11-2011, 06:47 AM
Did you call? you have to call them and schedule it

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: License Question