G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Newbie needing help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie needing help

Last Tuesday I purchased my first 2005 G35 Coupe at (laugh if you must) it has 81,000 miles on it. Runs great except the guy I bought it from ruined the exhaust. I have been researching the oil consumption problem and am worried if mine falls in to this. Most of what I have read is the manuals not the autos. Just wondering if this is true or not. Thanks

Old 06-14-2011, 12:33 AM
Received 291 Likes on 218 Posts
MWAHHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA....AUTOMATIC....okay sorry you asked for it

Now that we are both on the same page about all this. First post some pictures or you will get no help around here.

You might have oil consumption but you never know until you track it your self. Change your oil with some quality thick 30 weight oil like GERMAN CASTROL (will explain later) and a good quality oil filter like Puralator, Wix, K&N, Mobil 1 or Napa.

Keep an eye on your dipstick and check it after 1000 miles of heavy use. if you notice that your dipstick is down to the "L" then you have oil consumption. Trade your car in IT WILL BLOW UP . Just kidding nothing to worry about it just means you will need to keep an eye on your oil levels and top off. Change out the PCV valve that will help and install a oil catch can. In reality you have nothing to worry about since you bought AUTOMATIC.

Next the exhaust what do you mean but RUINED IT. Like he installed an after market. Then just search craigslist and people usually sell there old one.

POST PICTURE OF YOUR CAR OR.....

GERMAN CASTROL 0w30 weight at AUTOZONE

The following users liked this post:
Mark2K8 (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 12:49 AM
Pictures Of New Toy

Here are some pictures of my toy. (crapy exhaust getting fixed wednesday)

Attached Thumbnails Newbie needing help-img_1046.jpg   Newbie needing help-img_1043.jpg   Newbie needing help-img_1032.jpg   Newbie needing help-img_1038.jpg   Newbie needing help-img_1040.jpg  

Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 AM
Having 81,xxx miles would it be a good idea to go to a synthetic oil? I had the oil changed at my local garage with conventional oil (which the previous owner said he used) only thing is my shop used 10w-30. I know I am the 3rd owner.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:58 AM
I LOVE IT EVEN THE AUTO

I hate the exhaust and looks like a HKS replica and must sound annoying and drone like no other. If it is a quality exhaust and you do not like the sound of a louder exhaust then sell it on the forum. If it is no name exhaust then just use it as a door stop or paper weight.

I love the rims and I am biased towards the Color and the wheels. I have the same color and 18" sport wheels. I think yours is the 19" sport wheels that are forged. Overall looks like in good condition and just have it checked mechanically.

You have similar miles on your car so I will tell you what to do that I did.

Oil change
Air filter
Belts
Plugs
Diff fluid
Tranny fluid
PCV valve
Clutch fluid (i know i know just teasing
Rear brake pads
Cabin Filter

DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY PISSING IT AWAY!!!!!!

ADVANCE AUTO PARTS COUPON CODE $40 OFF $100: DEALIO

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...arts-sale.html

EDIT GO SYNTHETIC BUT ONLY 100%

Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 AM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by B_Williams
Last Tuesday I purchased my first 2005 G35 Coupe at (laugh if you must) it has 81,000 miles on it. Runs great except the guy I bought it from ruined the exhaust. I have been researching the oil consumption problem and am worried if mine falls in to this. Most of what I have read is the manuals not the autos. Just wondering if this is true or not. Thanks
True the M/T is what comes with the revup not the A/T. The oil consumption issue is for the revup engine. You are fine.

Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4D05G35
True the M/T is what comes with the revup not the A/T. The oil consumption issue is for the revup engine. You are fine.
its a possibility he could still have it. some nonrevups do get oil consumption problems but its much more rare.

looks like someone put in a ztube popcharger ripoff but no heat shield. prepare for heat soak! see if you can go back to stock or get the revup airbox. I've seen that exhaust before it looks like a greddy evo2 ripoff.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:24 AM
Originally Posted by BonBG35
its a possibility he could still have it. some nonrevups do get oil consumption problems but its much more rare.

looks like someone put in a ztube popcharger ripoff but no heat shield. prepare for heat soak! see if you can go back to stock or get the revup airbox. I've seen that exhaust before it looks like a greddy evo2 ripoff.
I was just going off of the TSB. Being that the non revup engines were not part of the TSB that leads me to believe those oil consumption issues are unrelated. My understanding is that the fault lies in the oil rings used in the revup engine. Had those same rings been used in the non revup engines they would have been a part of the TSB. Various reasons can lead to oil consumption, just because they are VQ's thats doesn't mean that they are plagued with the same flaw from the get go like the VQ' s mentioned in the TSB.
But thats all just speculation.

Old 06-14-2011, 04:02 AM
Originally Posted by 4D05G35
I was just going off of the TSB. Being that the non revup engines were not part of the TSB that leads me to believe those oil consumption issues are unrelated. My understanding is that the fault lies in the oil rings used in the revup engine. Had those same rings been used in the non revup engines they would have been a part of the TSB. Various reasons can lead to oil consumption, just because they are VQ's that's doesn't mean that they are plagued with the same flaw from the get go like the VQ' s mentioned in the TSB.
But thats all just speculation.
TSB is only released to help dealers diagnose common problems like clicking axles, fuel damper, radios and other common issue. Oil consumption is a common issue for rev-up motors in the 05-07 year as you know. The oil consumption can occur with any motor from any manufacturer. Industry standard is anything more than 1qt every 1000 miles warrants a new motor. There have been few stories I have heard of 03-04 G35 with oil consumption on regular vq35de non rev-up motor and even m35 which i have linked.

The OP can not do anything unless he has a warranty and in reality he has a very small chance of oil consumption and one that is extreme. I would just monitor it and top off as necessary since that is the cost effective measure. It does not make sense to tear it down and go with machine, bore, hone, balance, replace pistons, replace piston rings and reseal engine for a small amount of oil consumption.

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...ml#post4384757

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...04#post2835393

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...04#post2630214

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...04#post3727397

Old 06-14-2011, 10:01 AM
I just had the exhaust looked at it is a magnaflow muffler with 4 glass packs and 2 cherry bombs underneath. There is nothing left of the stock exhaust. Everything from the manifold back has been replaced and looks like s***. Estimated fix now is $2,000 to unlimited, depending on how much money I want to put in it. What a great way to screw up a car. Any ideas what I should do? Do I go back to stock exhaust or start saving for aftermarket.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Just hit up the forum marketplace and local craigslist. You should be able to get a Y-pipe for $150 and coupe mid pipe for $100 and Exhaust for $100. These are all high prices and i am sure you can negotiate a better price if you buy it all.

The G35 coupe shares many parts with G35 Sedan and 350z along with some parts off the 370z. I think $2000 for an exhaust is RIDONKULOUS.

The MD complete exhaust is $1600 and that acutally adds power and well a bunch of noise too but for $400 less i rather have after market and power. When you are done you can sell your exhaust for STOCK + cash and people would trade you gladly.

http://www.motordyneengineering.com/index.php?cPath=1_6

Old 06-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Originally Posted by faiz23
TSB is only released to help dealers diagnose common problems like clicking axles, fuel damper, radios and other common issue. Oil consumption is a common issue for rev-up motors in the 05-07 year as you know. The oil consumption can occur with any motor from any manufacturer. Industry standard is anything more than 1qt every 1000 miles warrants a new motor. There have been few stories I have heard of 03-04 G35 with oil consumption on regular vq35de non rev-up motor and even m35 which i have linked.

The OP can not do anything unless he has a warranty and in reality he has a very small chance of oil consumption and one that is extreme. I would just monitor it and top off as necessary since that is the cost effective measure. It does not make sense to tear it down and go with machine, bore, hone, balance, replace pistons, replace piston rings and reseal engine for a small amount of oil consumption.

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...ml#post4384757

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...04#post2835393

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...04#post2630214

https://g35driver.com/forums/tsb-tec...04#post3727397
Thats the bottom line
I think that you may have misunderstood the intention of my post, or I typed it in a confusing way. I didnt read the links you posted yet because I have to run, but it looks like we are on the same page. I in no way intedned for it to sound like other motors/manufactures dont/cant have oil consumption issues. OC issues wether it's a g35 5AT or a viper, it's not a very common occurance and it's not related to a known default. Most likely stems from a fault during assembly, maintenance, or something contaminating the oil (regardless of who's at fault). It happens. I'm still not explaining it like I want but I have to run literally.