G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

Manual Mode question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Manual Mode question

5AT here, but when using manual mode, I am concerned with all the play in the gearing...

For instance, in 4th gear, I cost at 1500 rpm, and when I punch it, the needle pops to 3000 rpm and climbs from there.

Similar range in 3rd. 1st is tight, 2nd as well.

This a standard thing? If so, I ain't a fan. I like my gears locked in and firm.

Old 06-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
It's difficult to tell you how to drive the AT without your being in the car. When you want immediate response drop it into a lower gear. Driving along in 4th and you need to pass someone in a hurry you drop it into 3rd and nail the throttle, you'll get the reaction you want....I assume you know how to down shift....right? Your AT can be just as much fun as the MT, once you learn when to down shift.
Gary

Old 06-14-2011, 10:58 AM
I'm sorry, Gary. That isn't at all what I am asking.

In a true manual tranny, each gear is locked into an RPM and speed. For example, 5th gear, at 2000 RPM is 80 mph (previous car). Hitting the gas provides a linear progression of gearing.

In manual mode, at that RPM, the 3rd, 4th and 5th gears act SEMI-automatic. They spring up to a higher RPM and then start applying power.

Almost like there is play in the gear. Or the car is only in a manual mode insofar as you can pick a gear, not actually control your RPMs and power.

In 4th, regardless of RPM, I want to hit the pedal at that RPM and move the car. No matter what RPM.

As it is now, low RPMs act like auto and high RPMs are firm.

Also, when in an automatic car without manual mode, using 2nd or 3rd gear via the shifter provides a very harsh, locked in gearing feeling. I want that in manual mode in this car.

Oh, and your last point. I must respectfully disagree. A true MT is more fun than manual mode, as a real girl is more fun than a blowup doll. And yes, I am doing it right

EDIT: I am basically asking if my car is acting right, or if my gears are in any way damaged. The way she's acting is normal?

Last edited by jstudrawa; 06-14-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I play around with manual mode in my 07 also, but can't quite understand your concern.

If you're already coasting and want to immediately accelerate big time, you have to go into lower gears... whether it's 6MT or 5AT. And our rides have rev matching also.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I was a bit verbose, let me try another way.

Put the car in 4M. Go 35 miles per hour. RPMs are what? under 2k? Punch it. RPMs instantly go to 3k and you accelerate. I don't want to accelerate big time, it's an example.

Go drive a 6MT. Put it in 4th. Go 35. RPMs are under 2k. Punch it. RPMs are still 2k and you accelerate.

It may be the rev matching bringing the RPMs up to where power is, no clue. Never had a car with that.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 PM
Received 264 Likes on 147 Posts
^ I understand what you're saying. If you're coasting at a low RPM and punch it, instead of the rpms gradually rising, it jumps to a higher rpm and goes from there, right? My car's the same way. It's never really bothered though, I actually prefer the RPM's jumping to the powerband.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Thank you

I prefer the RPMs locking, but I'm used to a 5-speed for years.

If i want it to act like an auto, i'll put it back in D!

Long as she's not broken, I'm fine with it.

Old 06-14-2011, 01:51 PM
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Hahaha there seems to be a lot of confusion as to what you're saying but i know exactly what you're talking about. Mine does the same exact thing and yes it is disappointing and annoying but you'll have to live with it and get used to downshifting to get a more steady climb

Old 06-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
There is a big thread about this.

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...look-here.html

You can basically find ALL of the info you are looking for, here.

The following users liked this post:
JaE35 (06-14-2011)
Old 06-14-2011, 03:09 PM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
I'm sorry, Gary. That isn't at all what I am asking.

In a true manual tranny, each gear is locked into an RPM and speed. For example, 5th gear, at 2000 RPM is 80 mph (previous car). Hitting the gas provides a linear progression of gearing.

In manual mode, at that RPM, the 3rd, 4th and 5th gears act SEMI-automatic. They spring up to a higher RPM and then start applying power.

Almost like there is play in the gear. Or the car is only in a manual mode insofar as you can pick a gear, not actually control your RPMs and power.

In 4th, regardless of RPM, I want to hit the pedal at that RPM and move the car. No matter what RPM.

As it is now, low RPMs act like auto and high RPMs are firm.

Also, when in an automatic car without manual mode, using 2nd or 3rd gear via the shifter provides a very harsh, locked in gearing feeling. I want that in manual mode in this car.

Oh, and your last point. I must respectfully disagree. A true MT is more fun than manual mode, as a real girl is more fun than a blowup doll. And yes, I am doing it right

EDIT: I am basically asking if my car is acting right, or if my gears are in any way damaged. The way she's acting is normal?

You're doing it wrong.

Our transmissions (at least 05-06 sedans and 05-07 coupes) are true manu-matics. When you are in MM if you're in 4th gear and you punch it, the transmission will NOT downshift. If you're at 1500 RPMs in 4th the engine's gonna bog down and cause a lag. You will need to do what Gary said and manually drop the gear down to 3rd (or 2nd if you're daring) and punch it at the same time. You will take off with a vengeance. However remember you still need to upshift as once again the tranny won't do it for you. You're in true manual mode.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:12 PM
Originally Posted by Blue Dream
You're doing it wrong.

Our transmissions (at least 05-06 sedans and 05-07 coupes) are true manu-matics. When you are in MM if you're in 4th gear and you punch it, the transmission will NOT downshift. If you're at 1500 RPMs in 4th the engine's gonna bog down and cause a lag. You will need to do what Gary said and manuallt drop the gear down to 3rd (or 2nd if you're daring) and punch it at the same time. You will take off with a vengeance. However remember you still need to upshift as once again the tranny won't do it for you. You're in true manual mode.

Hope this helps.
No, I am not. You're misunderstanding.

I KNOW I have to downshift to hit the powerband when I want to go fast. This has nothing to do with HOW to shift or drive. It's a question of "Is what is happening... supposed to happen".

But, when I am in 4M, I hit the gas, the RPMs pop right up to 3k and I accelerate. I don't accelerate fast, I am not meaning to.

I do not bog, I do not flood the engine, I do nothing.

In a TRUE manual, I would. But not my car.

Read the other responses. They understood what I mean.

I'll see if I can find a safe place to video it.

Old 06-14-2011, 03:42 PM
Originally Posted by sTeadFasT96
There is a big thread about this.

https://g35driver.com/forums/drivetr...look-here.html

You can basically find ALL of the info you are looking for, here.
Perfect, thank you!

That video when he's in D vs. 5th... that's it exactly.

Sorry for confusing everyone.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:31 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I understand what ur saying. I have an 04 auto and I don't recall mine acting like that

Old 06-14-2011, 10:08 PM
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by jstudrawa
Perfect, thank you!

That video when he's in D vs. 5th... that's it exactly.

Sorry for confusing everyone.
Yeah, if I'm in 5th cruising at lets say 45mph, I can basically floor it a few times basically doing a free-rev as if it were in neutral till it hooks up around 2.5-3k.

Old 06-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Received 50 Likes on 48 Posts
Short quick answer. Yes that is normal because the torque converter is not locked up. If you want a direct relation between pushing the gas and the RPM reflecting the gearing then get a Manual. Even in auto mode the torque converter slips when you acclerate. The torque converter runs and operates on fluid pressure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Manual Mode question