G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

G35 the best car to daily drive?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G35 the best car to daily drive?

To make things short I just got rid of my 2000 Stage 3 Audi S4 (around 390awhp).

With that said, I'm looking for a new daily driver. I'm 50/50 of if I want to go with more looks over power, or more power over the looks. For example, I've been looking into 04-05 STIs or a 06 WRX. The car isn't going to be as fast as my S4, but cost of maintenance and parts is likely a lot less as well as MPG and reliability.

So how would a G35 compare to a 2.5L WRX/STI power wise, MPG wise, cost of maintenace, etc.

In my eyes, you can make an STI/WRX look decent. Removing the huge rear spoiler, lowering it, etc. but it doesn't replace the fact that the G35 has much more bells and whistles.

Anyway, I just wanted to get a G35 owners thoughts on ownership of what you like/dislike and compared to any other cars and what years I should stay away from looking at.

Thanks!

Old 06-17-2011, 08:08 PM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Interiors are about the same on them. I had a G35 and I liked it, but coming from a 400hp car it will feel tame and boring to you. I also had a G37 and that was about the same power wise as it was heavier as well. They are nice cars, but I got bored with both of them, and I even modified the G35 to try and make it more fun. The interior on the G37 is a nice step up and they can be had for low 20s nowadays with low miles on them. What's your price range? And why get rid of the S4? I love those. Always wanted one, but I could never find one in good condition with low miles that wasn't beat to ****.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:59 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm willing to bet going from a B5S4 to a G35 will be easier than going to an STi. I had a B5 some years back which I sold and bought a new Mazdaspeed 6. Within 6 months I missed the B5 and wanted to go back. A year later I sold the Speed 6 and bought my current G35.

You're not going to be able to replace that Stage 3 power with either without srs modification but the luxury/class of the G35 will be much more on par. The only reason I'd consider the STi over the G35 is if you're located somewhere of high elevation where the spool of turbos will triumph.

Post this question on an STi forum, and you'll hear the exact opposite.

Old 06-17-2011, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
Interiors are about the same on them. I had a G35 and I liked it, but coming from a 400hp car it will feel tame and boring to you. I also had a G37 and that was about the same power wise as it was heavier as well. They are nice cars, but I got bored with both of them, and I even modified the G35 to try and make it more fun. The interior on the G37 is a nice step up and they can be had for low 20s nowadays with low miles on them. What's your price range? And why get rid of the S4? I love those. Always wanted one, but I could never find one in good condition with low miles that wasn't beat to ****.
Interior in the G35 is the same as the STi? I would have expected the interior to be far superior in the G35 from the pictures. I know "downgrading" from 400hp cars down to a G35 or something in the 200s is going to feel slow and dull, but to be 100% honest, I never used that 400hp to the full potential. You can't really do that safely on the street when daily driving. The B5 Stage 3 S4 was a beast for a daily driver. Comfortable, easy to drive and the power was instantly there but I always like changing out my cars and it was the longest car I've kept (1.5 years) and it was time to move on.

Originally Posted by MyaLover
I'm willing to bet going from a B5S4 to a G35 will be easier than going to an STi. I had a B5 some years back which I sold and bought a new Mazdaspeed 6. Within 6 months I missed the B5 and wanted to go back. A year later I sold the Speed 6 and bought my current G35.

You're not going to be able to replace that Stage 3 power with either without srs modification but the luxury/class of the G35 will be much more on par. The only reason I'd consider the STi over the G35 is if you're located somewhere of high elevation where the spool of turbos will triumph.

Post this question on an STi forum, and you'll hear the exact opposite.
Before I test drove the GTO, I drove a Mazdaspeed6 and it was a blast to drive. I don't know if it was the turbo or what, but the car seemed light, nimble and peppy. I still went with the GTO though. The Stage 3 S4s are now the slowest out of the S4s. There are now worlds of options to easily bring them into the 500-700awhp. Stage 3 is a thing of the past.

I think if I went with the G35, I'd be picking looks over the power, but is there anything that would be able to provide Stage 3 S4 type power?

Old 06-17-2011, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
well, having owned an 05 WRX that was modified, the G35 is boring to drive... WRX/STI is much more fun to drive, much cheaper to make faster, and in the 6 years I owned the car, I had no major issues that needed dealership attention..
maintenance wise, I'd say the Subaru's are very reliable with very little need for mechanical/electrical work.. In 6 years, my main window switch for the auto down function was the only thing that acted up, and that was actually 5 years down the road. Then the radio started acting up towards the end of my ownership of the vehicle.. So I'd say 5-6 years with just minor issues coming up is pretty damn good. Though it's probably not as electrically involved as a G35 either. 140k miles and not one trip to the dealership.. but then again I am a mechanic, so I never needed to :P

Interior wise, the G35 passes the girlfriend test... my gf loooves the interior way better on the G35 over the WRX (for obvious reasons)...

Gas mileage.. I'd say my WRX got better gas mileage than the G35.. the G35 has a bigger tank, and I still find myself going to the gas station just as often as I did in the WRX, and I spent less. Then again, mine was a 2.0 Turbo, and not a 2.5L that the 06-up WRX get.. gas mileage may be comparable to the G35 with the 2.5L..

On paper the G35 is said to get 20/27 and WRX 2.5L turbo 17/25? somewhere in that neighborhood, but I'll tell you now, I barely get over 20mpg in the G35.. Whereas I used to get about 22-24mpg in exactly the same driving conditions, habits, roads in the WRX.. I've only had the G35 for about 3 months now, so I'm still not as "educated" in terms of knowing this car..

Getting a G35 will mean you are choosing looks over power.. the only way you could come close to S4 stage 3 power levels would be the turbo/supercharge the thing which is super costly, and can probably reach upwards of $9-10gs.. cost of the kit, then installation and tuning.. unless you can do the install and tune yourself..

I'll tell you right now, with about $2gs, maybe not even, depending on your choice of parts/brands, you will definitely see significant power levels 350awhp+ and it will be DAMN fun to drive..

Old 06-17-2011, 11:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by thatoneguy
Interiors are about the same on them. I had a G35 and I liked it, but coming from a 400hp car it will feel tame and boring to you.
I agree. I went with a G35 after selling my SRT-10. No bueno. I enjoy the G, but like thatoneguy said, it feels tame and at times boring.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:31 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Best daily driver is any 4 cylinder that only needs regular gas.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
g35 is not a great daily driver if you drive long distances.. i do about 90% freeway driving now and it's hoovering in the 25~27mpg range...

personally, if i had a weekend/fun car.. i would get a car like a TSX which get over 30mpg..

Old 06-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Pair up a used civic/corolla/sentra with the G.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:12 PM
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts
Originally Posted by rimshaker
Best daily driver is any 4 cylinder that only needs regular gas.
lol +1 gas prices are getting ridiculous

Old 05-04-2014, 07:27 PM
Every time I get in my 2005 6mt sport sedan g35 i feel like I'm getting in the best car sub 100,000 dollars in the 2000-2010 for sure. The engine the road feel, the exuast, the practicality have yet to ever be matched by in car past or present. I wish infiniti would go back to that body style and go back to having lighter cars rather than heaver car which require more computers to keep them on the road. But I forgive Nissan because they created one of the best cars of the 2000's for sure

Old 05-05-2014, 05:17 PM
Received 130 Likes on 125 Posts
I'd like to start by saying that I will probably come off as biased toward the G seeing as I own one. You'll get that from whichever forum you decide to post. That being said, here is my opinion.
When I was looking for a new car, I never even considered a STI. Solely based on the fact that they are f-ing EVERYWHERE! I like being different and have something a little less common. In my case, I definitely chose looks and rarity over (potential) power. Also, the class and luxury of Infiniti is just enticing.
Like mentioned above, the G is probably not the BEST daily of the two but it does the job perfectly for me and I love every time I get in the car.
Advice to you, really take into consideration your location (climate) and funding.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:20 PM
Banned
Received 989 Likes on 825 Posts
this thread wasnt old or anything..

Old 05-05-2014, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1,020 Likes on 937 Posts
An STI as a daily driver? That sounds awful. Noisy, crinkly, but powerful nonetheless.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:31 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Your daily driver should be anything you love driving, whatever puts a smile on your face! When I bought SLICK I'd been driving a '92 300XZTT for over 10 years and loved it. With 125K miles on the Nissans clock I decided it was time to move on...it's still on the road and running well! My Infiniti G35 puts a smile on my face as did the Nissan. You can tell by the pic she gets lots of attention...Gary

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G35 the best car to daily drive?