G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

"Thumping" from rear wheels.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 12:31 AM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
"Thumping" from rear wheels.

Hey guys and gurus, so i've been having a problem. For the last 200 miles or so when I get the car up to 40+ and get off the gas and coast I am SOMETIMES getting a "thumping" sound and vibration from the rear tires. Recently the sound has come more frequently and strongly. I am relatively sure it is something on the rear of the car causing the problem because there is no shake to the steering wheel. I can feel it shuddering through the wheel but that is because of the intensity, it shakes the hell out of the rearview mirror as well. The best way I can describe the thudding is as if I had a flat spot on one of my tires, it increases with speed and sometimes stops for a while after I come to a stop. This ONLY happens when coasting, but then continues afterwards for the rest of the drive.
So far I have had all four wheels and tires balanced, and recently gotten a four wheel alignment (lifetime alignments FTW), I know I need a rear wheel bearing but when talking to the Nissan techs they said that theyve never heard of a bearing causing a shudder or thud as I described. Problem still persists.
At the beginnning of this season I put the car on Eibach Pro Kit springs (kept the stock shocks), and installed spc front and rear camber kits and toe bolts.
As I mentioned I am having the rear passenger bearing replaced next week, but I am not getting my hopes up on this solving my problem.
ANY imput would be great. Help me out so I can stop shakin and start shining! If I remember anything else I will edit.
Thanks a million boys.

Old 07-01-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Had a big nail in my rear tire once, but that only caused an annoying clicking/thumping sound, no shaking or shuddering like yours.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
Thumping that goes away under braking? ... Check all your bushings and pivot points. Wheel bearing should repair should help you narrow down during repair (check everything!)

I would also check the driveshaft, u-joints, and drain the diff to see if any broken gears are floating around in there.

The following users liked this post:
CharlesHubular (07-01-2011)
Old 07-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Thank you I will definitely check all of the above when the bearing is changed. But to clarify, the thumping can be felt DURING breaking, but after coming to a stop and then moving again it sometimes stops.

Old 07-01-2011, 04:46 PM
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
I have the same noise but in my case its like a small vibration coming from the rear and like very low thumping, I'm thinking its my exhaust because I went to get my mufflers aligned and I reversed over a steel pipe and ever since its been making low rattling noises in the rear/shaking. Any suggestions?