G35 Coupe V35 2003 - 07 Discussion about the 1st Generation V35 G35 Coupe

debating on dropping G gimme feedback

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 05:59 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Shawn G
interesting.... hmmm but if you get a F&R camber kit doesn't that help you with the adjustability more?
I think what he means by adjustability is that the some coilovers you can adjust the dampening (how stiff or soft) the whole coilover is. Camber would just adjust your alignment and how your wheels would sit. Go with coilovers they are well worth it. I didn't think so either when I first got into cars, just thought it was dumb spending 1k on getting my car lower.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:15 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by Shawn G
yah but im already lower than stock cause i have 20's low profile tires.. the most i wanna drop is half an inch to an inch.
You are most definitely not lower than stock. Gs already come with low profile tires and your 20's raised the geometry of your set up.

Here's my advice drawn from personal experience. Most, and I do mean most, people on here were in the same boat as you. Wanted a decent drop and thought that would be enough, but when they went a little lower it wasn't. For a lot of us it's like a drug, you never get enough. So they buy springs, complain their shocks blow, and wonder why their tires wear out in 10K miles. So then they buy new shocks and camber kits to get everything set correctly and by that point they have spent as much as a set of coilovers.

Do it right from the start and save your money for coils and at the least a rear camber kit and toe bolts. It'll be hard to be patient if you're like me but it's sooooooo worth it in the end. Coilovers have awesome adjustability for both height and dampening and the springs are designed to work with the systems they are a part of. I can't stress how important that is, you just don't get that with adjustable shocks and springs that aren't designed to go together.

So that's my $.02, take it for what it's worth. I do speak from the voice of experience, I went through 3 different spring/shock combos until I finally got smart and bought coils. Should've listened to the masses from the beginning.